|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3: Laelius: On Friendship.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Laelius argue friendship is only possible for?
(b) Good men.
(c) Bad men.
2. In "On Duties," what will wise rulers win from their subjects?
3. What did Cicero believe applied to every human, according to Grant?
(a) Ability to forgive.
(b) The natural law.
(c) The golden rule.
(d) The ration to love others.
4. What did Cicero believe the Roman republic should behave like?
(a) "Elusive and free."
(b) "Strong and indestructive."
(c) "Lucid and demanding."
(d) "Heroes of old."
5. Who takes the dictatorial control in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(b) Marcus Antonius.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two types of men cannot be friends, according to Laelius?
2. What are the third and fourth principles concerned with, in "On Duties"?
3. Which of the following are not needed to obtain moral goodness, according to Cicero in "On Duties"?
4. How does Cicero describe what philosophy's method does in "Discussions at Tusculum"?
5. Why does Cicero return to Rome, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)