|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3: Laelius: On Friendship.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Laelius argue needs friends the most?
(a) Those that are lonely.
(b) Those that are shy.
(c) Those that are weak.
(d) Those that are dependant.
2. What did Cicero believe strongly about the virtues of philosophy?
(a) They were valid and rational.
(b) They gave comfort to the fearful.
(c) They took away the "load of empty troubles."
(d) They were insightful.
3. In "Discussions at Tusculum," what do the Stoics argue is necessary to be happy?
(a) To be old.
(b) To be young.
(c) To be rich.
(d) To be morally good.
4. According to "On Duties," how do people find theft by the state?
5. Who favored Cicero?
(a) Roman orators.
(b) Lactantius and many Christian fathers.
(d) Greek orators.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does much of Cicero's writing contain, according to Grant?
2. Which medieval thinker admired Cicero, according to Grant?
3. What must the ruler maintain, according to Cicero?
4. Where is the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum"?
5. What was the result of Cicero's desire to capture others thought in his writing's?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)