|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1: Discussions at Tusculum.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the introduction, how did Pope Gregory I respond to Cicero's work?
(a) He refused to ackowledge his writings.
(b) He gave him high praise.
(c) He burned them.
(d) He banned his work for centuries.
2. What did Cicero believe the result would be if happiness was only achieved by certain goods?
(a) That happiness could only be perfected by possessing imperishable goods.
(b) That unhappiness did not exist.
(c) That happiness was unnecessary.
(d) That happiness was permanent.
3. In "Discussions at Tusculum," what do the Stoics argue is necessary to be happy?
(a) To be young.
(b) To be morally good.
(c) To be old.
(d) To be rich.
4. According to the introduction, what is Cicero NOT?
5. What did Cicero resist being identified with, according to Grant?
(b) Anyone religion.
(c) Any woman.
(d) Any one school of philosphy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are external goods always at risk of, according to Cicero?
2. Who was Dionysius?
3. According to the introduction, how did the younger Seneca receive Cicero?
4. According to "Discussions at Tusculum," what did all Greek schools of philosophy agree on?
5. What was the result of Cicero's desire to capture others thought in his writing's?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)