|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1: Discussions at Tusculum.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "Discussions at Tusculum," what did all Greek schools of philosophy agree on?
(a) That good lives cannot exist.
(b) That good lives require being morally good.
(c) That good lives require posessions.
(d) That good lives require friends.
2. According to the introduction, what was Cicero considered to be?
(a) An individualist who believed in human rights.
(b) A philospher.
(c) A radical.
(d) A saint.
3. How many miles was the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum" from Cicero's home?
(a) 15 miles.
(b) 13 miles.
(c) 100 miles.
(d) 16 miles.
4. According to the introduction, what did Cicero take refuge in after a divorce, fights with friends, and his daughter's death?
(c) Observing nature.
5. What did Stoics still think was preferable even if it did not add to happiness?
(c) External achievement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Cicero believe the Roman republic should behave like?
2. What does happiness necessarily require, according to Cicero?
3. In what period did Cicero gain great fame?
4. According to the introduction, what protestant thinkers was Cicero popular among?
5. Who was Dionysius?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)