|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3: Laelius: On Friendship.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cicero question about virtues in "Discussions at Tusculum"?
(a) If they are necessary to people.
(b) Whether they can make for a supremely happy life.
(c) Whether or not they even exist.
(d) If they are a tangible or intangible component.
2. In "On Duties," how many feelings does Cicero say a good ruler should inspire in his subjects?
3. Where is the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum"?
(a) Cicero's apartment.
(b) By a river.
(c) Cicero's friends house.
(d) Cicero's country villa.
4. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," when should a person make the decision to keep a friend?
(a) After full mental and physical maturity.
(b) When one is sound and rational.
(c) After that friend is mean.
(d) After that friend has three strikes.
5. What type of governmental system does Cicero prefer?
(a) Where no one is taxed.
(b) Where the ruler gives to his community.
(c) Where men elect their ruler.
(d) Where the ruler is morally good.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laelius reject about the restrictions of friendship?
2. According to Cicero, what will inspire hatred in a ruler's subjects?
3. What does the Greek philosophy believe about the good life, according to "Discussions at Tusculum"?
4. What does Cicero emphasize in the third and fourth principles in "On Duties"?
5. What must the ruler maintain, according to Cicero?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)