|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Sam bring from the city?
2. What does Sam's father do?
3. What does Sam us to make his candles?
4. What did Sam contribute for the opening of the sawmill?
5. How long ago did Sam come to the mountaintop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sam and Alice learn to build a dam that doesn't wash out?
2. What is a plumping mill?
3. Who is Bando?
4. Where does Sam think Alice might be in Part I?
5. What did Sam and Alice do on Christmas day last year?
6. What might be a solution to Sam's problem of how to get meat now that Frightful is gone?
7. Why doesn't Sam want electricity?
8. Why did Sam's family come to the mountain last year and then leave?
9. Why does Alice want electricity?
10. What is Adirondack furniture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam had a chance to have a goshawk and to get Frightful back. Why didn't same keep the goshawk or try to get Frightful back? Why did he have mixed feelings about not keeping the birds?
Essay Topic 2
Sam and Alice's relationship change throughout the novel. How does their relationship change? Does it seem to become more of an equal relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Frightful could have been killed or captured by the conservation officer. How did Frightful escape the poachers? How did Alice happen to be in the clearing and to get away undetected? Why wasn't she taken by the conservation officer?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)