|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Twenty-One, what kind of car passes Bri and Malik multiple times?
2. Where is Curtis's mother?
3. In Chapter Twenty-Three, who comes to visit Bri's house and starts a tense fight?
4. How does Bri say she can do Curtis's hair for him?
5. What does Bri think is hypocritical about the person who started the petition to get her song taken down from Dat Cloud?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what makes Bri want to upload her song to Dat Cloud and send it to Supreme?
2. In Chapter Twenty-Three, how does Bri react when her grandmother insists on her coming to live with them, and why is it important to Jay?
3. In Chapter Fifteen, why does Bri refuse to leave The Ring with Pooh, and who offers to give her a ride home instead?
4. In Chapter Twenty-One, what happens to Bri and Malik as they walk back to Bri's house?
5. In Chapter Sixteen, what does Trey tell Bri about her song On the Come Up and what he thinks about her pursuing a career in rap?
6. In Chapter Twenty-Two, what happens in Bri's house that is a big blow to Bri, Jay, and Trey?
7. In Chapter Twenty-Two, what does Bri ask Malik to do concerning what they have just been through together?
8. In Chapter 13, why does Bri's Aunt Pooh have a problem with her song On the Come Up?
9. In Chapter Fifteen, why is Bri not allowed into The Ring to peform?
10. In Chapter Seventeen, how does Jay find out about Bri's song On the Come Up and what the song is about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the end of the novel, which character or characters does Bri look to as examples of people who have stayed true to themselves and made their own path on their own terms in their personal and/or professional lives? Write an essay explaining your answer, citing specific references to the text.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay analyzing what messages Thomas conveys about society through Trey's failure to find a job, despite having earned a college degree.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 11, Bri fights with Malik after he accuses her of rapping a certain way just to make money. Write an essay analyzing the effect Bri's family's struggles with money has on her friendships during the course of the novel.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)