|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Despite the efforts of contemporary photographers to exorcise the _____________, something lingers."
(c) Specter of art.
2. Photographs can mingle documentation with __________ rendering, according to Sontag in this chapter.
3. In the conventional wisdom right now, only beautiful things are ______________.
4. In a sense, according to Sontag, photography actually helps to ____________ beauty as society defines it.
(c) Clean up.
5. Early in their history, photographs entered __________ where they were displayed in shows as were paintings.
(d) Grocery stores.
6. What is NOT one of the things that the Chinese expect from photography, which can cause a disconnect?
(a) Logical transitions.
(b) Posed scenes.
(c) Fast camera motion.
(d) Healthy topics.
7. Or is photography a ________ using an incidentally mimetic process, as referenced by Sontag in the book?
(b) Truth telling.
(c) High art.
(d) Assembly line.
8. Within photography have also been loosely organized __________, though not as strong as painting has had.
9. Who invited Antonioni to make a film about the Chinese life and its culture?
(a) United States government.
(b) No one.
(c) Italian government.
(d) Chinese government.
10. How do beautiful things begin to seem cliched and dull? Through their ____________, things become cliched.
(a) Over exposure.
11. A photograph is reliable as it is contrived through a __________, hence putatively reliable, process.
12. Sontag seems stereotype inscrutable Chinese values, smacking of the anti-Chinese ____________ in her time.
13. Collecting photographs is easy. What is NOT one of the reasons for the ease of collecting photographs, according to this chapter?
(a) They can be stored on a computer.
(b) They are durable.
(c) They are easily transportable.
(d) They are small.
14. By __________, photography became an acceptable part of modern day life, according to the book.
15. The Chinese government denounced Antonioni's film as anti-Chinese and anti-___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Photography freed ____________ from the reproductive arts, according to Sontag's writing in this book.
2. Who was rendered with Antonioni's typical flair and technique, featuring long shots, close-ups, jarring juxtaposition, and a focus on the ordinary?
3. It becomes imperative, in order to avoid cliche, to constantly be discovering new sources of ___________.
4. Who is NOT one of the authors presented in the section about photography in the literary world?
5. And others believe that all proficient photographers must metaphysically ________ the object which they are photographing.
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)