|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At times in the photography movement, the __________ is considered important while at other times it is not.
2. The collection of photographs is carried to the extreme in ____________, where these images are horded.
3. Most theories of art, according to Sontag, have only proven to be __________ in retrospect as well as in their own time.
(b) Cutting edge.
4. Who is NOT one of the authors presented in the section about photography in the literary world?
(a) Marcel Proust.
(b) William Shakespeare.
(c) Herman Melville.
(d) Thomas Mann.
5. Within photography have also been loosely organized __________, though not as strong as painting has had.
6. Just like painting and other forms of art, photography has had various ____________.
7. What art has had to struggle to become a high art, though others have not had to work as hard to get to that title?
8. The film director also focused on the most often ____________ features of Chinese life which were also humanizing.
9. Photographs are also displayed in ___________ as paintings are for others to see and to experience.
(c) Photo albums.
10. Paintings, however accurate or realistic, are not the object, but a ___________ of that object.
11. The __________ are not the same between painting and photography, though the devotion may be.
12. "Despite the efforts of contemporary photographers to exorcise the _____________, something lingers."
(d) Specter of art.
13. Cartier-Bresson, in the introduction of his book, justified his unwillingness to use _________ by citing technical limitations.
(a) Digital cameras.
14. A photograph is reliable as it is contrived through a __________, hence putatively reliable, process.
15. The photographic __________ need not capture or immortalize transient defects, as it was now seen in society.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ often reveal beauty that is not normally seen, according to Sontag in this chapter.
2. Photographs can mingle documentation with __________ rendering, according to Sontag in this chapter.
3. The film that Antonioni produced about the life of the Chinese was not shown in China until _____________.
4. The Chinese government denounced Antonioni's film as anti-Chinese and anti-___________.
5. Balzac was one of many philosophers who believed that photographs are somehow permanently invasive of the process of ________.
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)