|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The overall discussion in this chapter is that on some level, in photography, images are or supersede __________.
2. It becomes imperative, in order to avoid cliche, to constantly be discovering new sources of ___________.
(c) Original beauty.
3. Many people fear being photographed because they fear the camera's ___________ of their looks.
4. Sontag says that some artists ___________ for the express purpose of having it photographed.
(a) Sculpt in bronze and plaster.
(b) Create their work.
(c) Go back to school.
(d) Use cameras.
5. Most theories of art, according to Sontag, have only proven to be __________ in retrospect as well as in their own time.
(d) Cutting edge.
6. The very act of ____________ something new casts it as something new and beautiful.
7. Photographs cannot ___________ of something and are therefore obviously reproductive or mimetic.
(a) Ignore the rules.
(b) Not be.
(c) Simply be.
(d) Understand the truth.
8. To what is photography continuously compared within the chapters of the book?
(c) Stage plays.
9. In 1839, photography was briefly attacked as something ___________ and disgraceful, according to the book.
10. "For the modernist promotion of naive art always contains a _______; that one continue to honor its hidden claim to sophistication."
11. What is NOT one of the things which helped to give photography a boost in popularity when it was discovered these things could be done?
12. _____________ were circulated condemning the film as a gross mischaracterization of China and the Chinese.
(c) Phone calls.
13. What kind of film did Antonioni make about the Chinese culture and family life?
14. Balzac was one of many philosophers who believed that photographs are somehow permanently invasive of the process of ________.
15. By __________, photography became an acceptable part of modern day life, according to the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. However, photography can also make truly beautiful things seem _________, according to Sontag.
2. Within photography have also been loosely organized __________, though not as strong as painting has had.
3. In general, modern photography claims that the ___________ is irrelevant within the picture's creation.
4. "_______- proud hosts may well pull out photographs of the place to show visitors how really splendid it is."
5. The film director also focused on the most often ____________ features of Chinese life which were also humanizing.
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)