|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Photographs make ____________ safe and concrete, according to Sontag. Some prefer photographs to reality.
2. Balzac was one of many philosophers who believed that photographs are somehow permanently invasive of the process of ________.
3. Painting allows for __________ vision, while photography does not require this sort of vision.
4. "For the modernist promotion of naive art always contains a _______; that one continue to honor its hidden claim to sophistication."
5. Photographs in China are seen as another extension of _____________, which is why the film was misunderstood.
(a) Military involvement.
6. The Chinese government denounced Antonioni's film as anti-Chinese and anti-___________.
7. The reaction to the film in China is illustrative of an essential ____________ difference in the way that photography is understood.
8. Many people fear being photographed because they fear the camera's ___________ of their looks.
9. Another method of falsifying photographs is to falsely __________ them, according to Sontag's findings.
10. The __________ are not the same between painting and photography, though the devotion may be.
11. It becomes imperative, in order to avoid cliche, to constantly be discovering new sources of ___________.
(a) Original beauty.
12. Modern photography seems to admit that __________ is the sum total of all art in photography.
13. Sontag says that some artists ___________ for the express purpose of having it photographed.
(a) Go back to school.
(b) Create their work.
(c) Use cameras.
(d) Sculpt in bronze and plaster.
14. Most - nearly all - __________ images are photographs, according to Sontag's findings.
15. In China, photography is subsumed by the state _______________ apparatus, according to the book's findings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Photography freed ____________ from the reproductive arts, according to Sontag's writing in this book.
2. Photographs can mingle documentation with __________ rendering, according to Sontag in this chapter.
3. Photographs present the real, but it is a ________ real of acquisition via mechanical duplication, according to the chapter.
4. What is NOT one of the things which helped to give photography a boost in popularity when it was discovered these things could be done?
5. Some theorize that the practice of photography allows the disclosure of a ___________ truth.
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)