|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Melancholy Objects.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Photography, like other surrealist arts, is itself ___________ and yet it is transitory, according to Sontag.
(b) Frozen in time.
2. What might separate the whole of humanity, according to Whitman in this chapter of this book?
(c) Superficial distinctions.
3. What kind of photographer is interested in the picturesque when he/she is taking photographs?
(b) South American.
4. In large measure, photography has replaced experiential interaction with __________, according to the book.
(a) The world.
(b) The ether.
(d) True desire.
5. The project with the FSA was enormously influential in depicting to America the __________ face of man and his struggles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whitman wanted people to begin to look at the essential ____________ of a person in order to define a person or object.
2. Arbus took some pictures of 'normal' people, but contrived the pictures to make them look _____________.
3. Whitman believed humanity was welded together in _________________ instead of separated from each other.
4. Photography idealizes subjects and makes ________ of people who are in the photographs.
5. What is NOT one of the things Sontag points out that photography seeks to look at?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)