|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through America, Seen Through Photographs, Darkly.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whitman strove to argue that the world should be seen as a ______________ whole, welded together.
2. The prisoners in the cave see only shadows, and thus believe those shadows are the totality of ____________.
(a) Their food.
(c) Their families.
(d) Their days.
3. What was the name of the story to which the name of this chapter refers?
(a) Plato's Republic.
(b) The Loyalty of Plato.
(c) Plato's Cave.
(d) The Republic of Plato.
4. Photographers sought to illustrate ____________in discord, or a polity among banal and trivial subjects.
5. Whitman wanted people to begin to look at the essential ____________ of a person in order to define a person or object.
Short Answer Questions
1. Photographs now impose standards of art, culture, and ________ in the world, according to this chapter.
2. In large measure, photography has replaced experiential interaction with __________, according to the book.
3. A photograph can only convey ____________of something, but gives no real information about the subject.
4. According to Sontag, photographs are held to be definitive ___________, though Sontag does not support this idea with facts.
5. Arbus admitted to the fact that her own work violated her own ______________ because of its content.
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)