|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through America, Seen Through Photographs, Darkly.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whitman's view was challenged and entirely defeated mostly by accident by ________________.
2. What picture of Steichen's was composed of portraiture that showed the universal in the individual?
(a) Family of One.
(b) Family of Man.
(c) Family of the Universal.
(d) Family of All.
3. What are the shadows in the cave shadows of, according to the book?
(c) Real objects.
4. Arbus presented her subjects as ______________ who were a part of the universal, the opposite of Whitman's ideas.
5. What is the only thing the people in the cave who are chained to the wall can see?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whitman wanted others to realize that the _____________ was a part of the universal.
2. The camera's drive toward enabling _______________ use promotes the use of photography as a means of pornography.
3. Photographs appropriate place and identity by the act of _________ reproduction, according to Sontag.
4. Like modern art, according to Sontag, photography lowers ___________ in those who view it.
5. The prisoners in the cave see only shadows, and thus believe those shadows are the totality of ____________.
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)