|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through America, Seen Through Photographs, Darkly.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Photography is a ___________ experience because cameras are cheap, readily available, and easy to use.
2. According to Sontag, photographs are held to be definitive ___________, though Sontag does not support this idea with facts.
3. Photographers sought to illustrate ____________in discord, or a polity among banal and trivial subjects.
4. A photograph can only convey ____________of something, but gives no real information about the subject.
(a) A word.
(b) A picture.
(c) A shape.
(d) A sense.
5. In large measure, photography has replaced experiential interaction with __________, according to the book.
(a) True desire.
(c) The world.
(d) The ether.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whitman strove to argue that the world should be seen as a ______________ whole, welded together.
2. Like modern art, according to Sontag, photography lowers ___________ in those who view it.
3. To Whitman, the ___________ was important and it was critical to accept this truth.
4. Arbus simply strove to present the subjects of her photographs as ____________ to the viewers.
5. Whitman's idea was to look beyond the idea of __________ and of ugliness to see more in the world.
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)