|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through America, Seen Through Photographs, Darkly.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whitman strove to argue that the world should be seen as a ______________ whole, welded together.
2. Whitman's idea was to look beyond the idea of __________ and of ugliness to see more in the world.
3. The prisoners in the cave see only shadows, and thus believe those shadows are the totality of ____________.
(a) Their days.
(b) Their food.
(d) Their families.
4. Alfred Stieglitz produced photographs which supported Whitman's ideas, termed euphoric _____________.
5. What is the only thing the people in the cave who are chained to the wall can see?
Short Answer Questions
1. Photography is a ___________ experience because cameras are cheap, readily available, and easy to use.
2. In what year was photography invented, according to Sontag's research as outlined in this book?
3. As the text says, "Hobbesian man roams the streets, quite visible, with ____________ in his hair."
4. Photography idealizes subjects and makes ________ of people who are in the photographs.
5. Whitman wanted others to realize that the _____________ was a part of the universal.
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)