|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mill, should women bear the full rights of citizenship?
(c) Not completely.
(d) Not until they are married.
2. The entire chapter is devoted to discussing what?
(a) Whose opinions are correct.
(b) The range of aspects and implications of opinion.
(c) The tyranny that can develop from expressing one's opinions.
(d) Dealing with other's opinions.
3. What is one topic these friends covered?
(d) Bio hazards.
4. What was J.S. Mill to the women's movement?
(a) A nuisance.
(b) A terror.
(c) A slight help.
(d) A dream come true.
5. What does Mill address and also take a step further?
(a) The issue of inequality.
(b) The issue of tyranny.
(c) The issue of fear.
(d) The issue of a dictatorship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is their friendship less unusual today?
2. What must this clash of opposition do to be good?
3. The movements towards individuality that is released from intense restrictions are a sign, according to the philosopher, of what?
4. How was J.S. Mill educated?
5. Would this social project be easy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author put the idea of liberty into historical context? Does he confine his criticism to Great Britain?
2. What movements are taking place during Mill's time in Great Britain and Europe?
3. What does the author mean by liberty?
4. Why is it rare that one has complete freedom as long as one does not oppress or oppose the will of others?
5. What was exposed by this aspect of the Middle Ages education system?
6. What is one goal of the education system in the Middle Ages?
7. What does John Stuart Mill say about the education system in Great Britain in the 1800s? How can one relate to this today?
8. What does John Stuart Mill say about his wife? Why?
9. What is said about Aristotle regarding tyranny in this chapter?
10. What does John Stuart Mill's success in helping British women get the right to vote reveal about him?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)