|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Despite the reality that Mill's idea is far from new, it is what?
(a) Never the case in reality.
(b) Always the case in reality.
(c) Often the case in reality.
(d) Relatively rarely the case in reality.
2. In what work of this ancient philosopher does he refer to factions within a political system?
3. Has this tendency continued into the 20th and 21st centuries?
(a) Yes, to some degree.
(b) No, not currently.
(c) No, not at all.
(d) Yes, completely.
4. What does Mill indicate are all deeply important in how the freedom of each individual is affected by that of the others?
(a) Men's public opinions.
(b) Men's public opinions, women's and the laws of the nation.
(c) The laws of the nation and men's public opinions.
(d) Men and women's public opinions.
5. Mill believes that freedom of speech as a means of clear expression of opinion has the possibility of doing what?
(a) Introducing many false beliefs to the general public.
(b) Forcing individuals to listen to each other.
(c) Advancing humanity through the discovery and use of the truth.
(d) Causing problems.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would be a significant social project?
2. Is one's opinion powerful?
3. What does John Stuart Mill show about the real challenge regarding one's views?
4. In what did Mill sincerely believe regarding women?
5. What would the author prefer people to do, regarding opposing views?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mill and his wife's relationship.
2. What does the author mean by liberty?
3. How is this author considered a philosopher?
4. What does Mill believe about freedoms of speech?
5. What had Mary Wollstonecraft done for the women's movement?
6. What does the author say about tyranny?
7. How can one learn by expressing one's opinion?
8. What does Mill say about the beliefs that one opposes?
9. What is known about John Stuart Mill's father and brother?
10. What role does John Stuart Mill play in the women's movement?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)