Short Essay Questions Key
1. With what does the book begin? Why?
2. What does John Stuart Mill say about his wife? Why?
3. How is this author considered a philosopher?
4. Describe Mill's education.
5. Describe Mill and his wife's relationship.
6. About what do Mill and his wife write?
7. What is known about John Stuart Mill's father and brother?
8. What role does John Stuart Mill play in the women's movement?
9. What does John Stuart Mill's success in helping British women get the right to vote reveal about him?
10. What had Mary Wollstonecraft done for the women's movement?
11. What does the author mean by liberty?
12. Why does the author put the idea of liberty into historical context? Does he confine his criticism to Great Britain?
13. What does Mill explain about Europeans and their sense of unity?
14. What movements are taking place during Mill's time in Great Britain and Europe?
15. What does the author say about tyranny?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)