|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Of the Limits to the Authority of the Society over the Individual.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Both law and public opinion have a tendency to do what?
(a) Conspire against the individual's liberty and freedom of action.
(b) Guide the individual's liberty and freedom of action.
(c) Assist the individual's liberty and freedom of action.
(d) Lead the individual's liberty and freedom of action.
2. What matter does the philosopher then take up?
(a) The Constitution of the United States.
(b) Educational systems.
(c) Days off from work.
(d) Religious beliefs.
3. With regard to personal behavior, what does Mill espouse?
(a) Only some people deserve freedoms, and may oppress the oppostion's freedoms.
(b) Each individual deserves some freedoms, and that to thwart, oppress or oppose the will of others is wrong.
(c) Each individual deserves the freedom to do as he or she will, as long as it follows the beliefs of the leader in power.
(d) Each individual deserves the freedom to do as he or she wills and wishes given the limitation that to thwart, oppress or oppose the will of others is wrong.
4. Does the author believe that the notion of 'the Sabbath' requires a religious justification?
5. What altered who could be citizens and who hoped to be, or to become so?
(a) Increased property restriction and other qualities.
(b) Reduced property restrictions and other qualities.
(c) The beginning of property restrictions and other qualities.
(d) The ending of property restrictions and other qualities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one example that he cites regarding persecution?
2. Do Mormons face persecution in Mill's society?
3. What would the author prefer people to do, regarding opposing views?
4. What are the additional responsibilities that will be included for a democracy?
5. Had many of the Europeans were or recently were living under the authority of monarchies and aristocracies?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)