|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not an example of an earlier, less-detrimental media monster listed in Chapter 2?
(a) Norman Bates.
(c) The Wolf Man.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what distinction does Grossman make between social learning and the previous two types of conditioning?
(a) It is inherently violent.
(b) It is experienced by every person.
(c) It is unique to primates.
(d) It must be perpetrated by a group.
3. In Chapter 5, how does Grossman describe natural warriors' attitudes toward less aggressive colleagues?
4. Which of the following is not a symptom of PTSD?
(a) Bouts of vertigo.
(b) Intrusive dreams.
(c) Social withdrawal.
(d) Difficulty maintaining relationships.
5. At the end of Chapter 5, Grossman says that a soldier who refuses to take part in an atrocity represents what?
(a) Nobility in mankind.
(b) Fear incarnate.
(c) An independent heart.
(d) Resistance to peer pressure.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Grossman in Chapter 2, what is the purpose of after-mission briefings in modern wars?
2. In Chapter 3, Grossman says the western-style shooting games are similar to what?
3. What does Grossman credit with reducing the number of homicides in America in Chapter 1?
4. In Grossman's Chapter 2 trajectory of increasingly violent media, where do children go after cartoons?
5. What was new about the enemy composition in Vietnam as opposed to previous wars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors contribute to a soldier's decision to commit an atrocity?
2. What warning about video games does Grossman make at the end of Chapter 3?
3. What changes have occurred in recent years to mitigate the psychiatric casualties of Vietnam?
4. What evidence does Grossman provide that violence among youth has increased dramatically since the 1950s?
5. What separates a natural warrior from a psychopath?
6. What solution did the American military devise to deal with low firing rates in World War II?
7. According to Grossman in Chapter 3, what is the difference between military killing training and that provided by video games?
8. What are the defining characteristics of a natural warrior?
9. In Chapter 5, how does Grossman illustrate the danger of refusing to take part in an atrocity?
10. What factors does Grossman say are contributing to youth violence in Chapter 1?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)