|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 5, Grossman calls a soldier's choice to participate in an atrocity a what?
(a) Surrender to fear.
(b) Fool's errand.
(c) Suicidal act.
(d) Faustian bargain.
2. In Chapter 1, what weapon does Grossman use as an example of a homemade killing implement?
(a) A spring gun.
(b) A shiv.
(c) A sawed-off shotgun.
(d) An IED.
3. What does a drill instructor teach as the root of manhood?
4. By 1971, what percentage of evacuations from Vietnam was related to psychiatric problems?
5. Which of the following is not a response to killing as described at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the anecdote at the beginning of Chapter 3, what is the soldier surprised he did in his first firefight?
2. In Grossman's Chapter 2 trajectory of increasingly violent media, where do children go after cartoons?
3. Which of the following theorists presents evidence concerning tactical attractiveness of a victim?
4. Who is Caspar Weinberger?
5. How were tours of duty different in Vietnam compared to other wars?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grossman explain murder-suicide in terms of the killing process in Chapter 2?
2. Why was combat in Vietnam particularly dirty, as described in Chapter 2?
3. What are the defining characteristics of a natural warrior?
4. In Chapter 2, what does Grossman say an atrocity does to a combat unit's group dynamic?
5. How does Grossman apply the killing process to the national mood in Chapter 2?
6. What warning about video games does Grossman make at the end of Chapter 3?
7. What is the Weinberger Doctrine?
8. What examples from Chapter 6 illustrate a problematic relationship with women in the military?
9. How did John Foster rationalize killing a VC in Chapter 1?
10. As described in Chapter 2, how do children progress through increasingly violent entertainment?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)