|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were tours of duty different in Vietnam compared to other wars?
(a) Tours were individual, not unit-based.
(b) Tours of duty were not voluntary.
(c) Tours could be anywhere, not only the capital.
(d) Tours were 24 months instead of 12.
2. According to Grossman in Chapter 2, what do POW executions do to an enemy?
(a) Give them reason to murder your POW's
(b) Break their morale.
(c) Destroy their civilian support.
(d) Make them more aggressive.
3. How does the rationalization of Ray, the Panama vet quoted at the end of Chapter 1, manifest itself?
(a) In his observation of the victim.
(b) In political debate.
(c) In religious expression.
(d) In a dream.
4. In Chapter 2, Grossman indicates that committing an atrocity can cause what within a group?
(b) Closer bonding.
(c) Identification with the enemy.
(d) Mass battle fatigue.
5. In Chapter 3, Grossman says the western-style shooting games are similar to what?
(a) A real wartime firefight.
(b) A police shooting training.
(c) A carnival game.
(d) A paintball competition.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Caspar Weinberger?
2. According to Grossman in Chapter 3, what does the army use in rifle training?
3. In what country did the case-study of Chapter 4 take place?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 5, Grossman calls a soldier's choice to participate in an atrocity a what?
5. Which of the following is not a symptom of PTSD?
Short Essay Questions
1. What hypothetical situation does Grossman relate in Chapter 3?
2. What factors does Grossman say are contributing to youth violence in Chapter 1?
3. What surprising insight into Vietnam does RB Anderson make in Chapter 1?
4. How did John Foster rationalize killing a VC in Chapter 1?
5. What separates a natural warrior from a psychopath?
6. What examples from Chapter 6 illustrate a problematic relationship with women in the military?
7. According to Grossman in Chapter 3, what is the difference between military killing training and that provided by video games?
8. What warning about video games does Grossman make at the end of Chapter 3?
9. What are the defining characteristics of a natural warrior?
10. In Chapter 2, what does Grossman say an atrocity does to a combat unit's group dynamic?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)