|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the mythology cited at the end of Chapter 7, who is born of the marriage of Aries and Aphrodite?
2. What do most historians agree was the key to the Roman military model's success?
(a) Political legitimacy.
(b) Longer spears.
(c) Light, flexible armor.
(d) Strong leadership.
3. In Chapter 4, what World War II battle does Grossman cite as an example of hunger deciding combat?
(b) Iwo Jima.
4. In Chapter 8, what term does Grossman use to refer to those who have killed in war?
(a) Legalized perpetrators.
(c) Noncriminal killers.
(d) Combat actives.
5. In discussing the atavistic fervor of a mob early in Chapter 2, Grossman cites what recent genocide?
(d) East Timor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fear did Saddam Hussein seize upon to hold on to power, as discussed in Chapter 2?
2. In Chapter 7, what does Grossman cite as a powerful examine of of link between violence and sex in popular culture?
3. What reason is given in Bhagavad Gita to justify killing?
4. In combat, Grossman says in Chapter 4 that the two entities individuals most want to defend are what?
5. At the end of Chapter 4, what reason does Grossman give for the increase in firing and killing in recent wars?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of the book, what personal prejudices does Grossman admit to?
2. How does Grossman use his distance-guilt corollary to explain the oppression of the poor in Chapter 1?
3. What inefficiency of edged-weapon combat does Grossman reveal in Chapter 5?
4. What is punishment justification?
5. Describe the metaphor Grossman uses for fortitude in Chapter 6?
6. What options are open to soldiers in combat?
7. What is the silent conspiracy does Grossman discuss in Chapter 4?
8. What is surprising about the study cited in Chapter 1 regarding what compels soldiers to shoot?
9. As discussed in Chapter 3, what is the emotional advantage of hand grenades?
10. Describe the Vietnam story of Chapter 4.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)