|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occurs as a result of exhaustion after the 60-day mark of continuous combat?
(a) Muscle atrophy.
2. In Chapter 1, Grossman reveals that the majority of active World War II soldiers did what?
(a) Released prisoners-of-war.
(b) Declined to fire their weapons.
(c) Learned German.
3. In the World War II study cited in Chapter 1, how much would soldier firing decrease when leadership was not nearby?
(a) 35-40 percent.
(b) 15-20 percent.
(c) 5-10 percent.
(d) 25-30 percent.
4. What percentage of the population can sustain more than a few months duty without sustaining long-term mental damage?
5. During World War I, what was the favored weapon of American servicemen for killing enemy combatants?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a contributing factor in determining whether a group easily unites in combat killing?
2. In Chapter 2, what civilian activity does Grossman use to illustrate the distance-guilt relationship?
3. What does Grossman cite at length in Chapter 5 as a perfect amalgamation of the effects of hate on psychological state?
4. Which Civil War officer does Grossman quote at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. In Chapter 7, an anonymous soldier compares what horrific incident to masturbation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warning about video games does Grossman make at the end of Chapter 3?
2. What are the three categories of atrocity as delineated in Chapter 1?
3. Why was combat in Vietnam particularly dirty, as described in Chapter 2?
4. What options are open to soldiers in combat?
5. In Chapter 6, what factors contribute to a soldier's decision to kill in the chart presented and discussed?
6. What is surprising about the study cited in Chapter 1 regarding what compels soldiers to shoot?
7. What does Grossman reveal to be the most shocking element of crimes in the beginning of Chapter 5?
8. Why does the Vietnam Vet quoted in Chapter 7 choose to leave the army after six tours?
9. In Chapter 2, what does Grossman say an atrocity does to a combat unit's group dynamic?
10. What factors contribute to group absolution?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)