|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 6, Grossman says that what can provide a sudden injection of fortitude into a unit of men?
(a) New leadership.
2. During World War I, what was the favored weapon of American servicemen for killing enemy combatants?
3. Which of the following is not a component of Group Absolution as delineated in Chapter 1?
(a) Age of group members.
(b) Number in immediate group.
(c) Intensity of support to kill.
(d) Legitimacy of group.
4. Chapter 7 begins with several vets joking about raping and murdering which public figure?
(a) Gloria Steinem.
(b) Hillary Clinton.
(c) Susan Sarandon.
(d) Jane Fonda.
5. What conversion did most military personnel make to their bayonets in combat?
(a) They used the blunt end of them.
(b) They used them as hand weapons.
(c) They removed them completely.
(d) They attached them upside down.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what does Grossman cite as a powerful examine of of link between violence and sex in popular culture?
2. In regards to war, what group of people does Grossman say in Chapter 1 is most distanced in their decision-making?
3. In Chapter 4, the story of the soldier who kills a young enemy and immediately breaks down crying takes place in what country?
4. What percentage of casualties did cannon fire comprise in many Civil War battles?
5. What city did King Sennacherib destroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is punishment justification?
2. At the beginning of the book, what personal prejudices does Grossman admit to?
3. What does hard-to-soft mean?
4. What inefficiency of edged-weapon combat does Grossman reveal in Chapter 5?
5. What are the primary components of Exhaustion as outlined in Chapter 3?
6. Describe the Lost Battalion's experience behind lines.
7. What role does enemy morale play in the choice to kill?
8. What societal and moral tenets cause guilt in an individual who has killed in a war?
9. How was the Roman centurion model more effective than the Greek phalanx, according to Grossman?
10. What factors contribute to group absolution?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)