|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Grossman in Chapter 3, what is the immediate reaction to killing from a soldier?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 1, Grossman says he will only discover the distance guilt relationship as it concerns what?
(d) The twentieth century.
3. What term arose in the early 1990's to describe the new fighting techniques seen in the Gulf War?
(a) Mail-order war.
(b) Calling-card war.
(c) Telegraph war.
(d) Nintendo war.
4. How many days can a soldier remain in combat before psychological trauma begins to manifest itself?
5. In the World War II stories of Chapter 4, what do soldiers do to avoid killing?
(a) Pretend to be dead.
(b) Surrender to German troops.
(d) Smoke cigarettes.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Grossman in Chapter 2, who is often given the cold shoulder in the military?
2. In regards to war, what group of people does Grossman say in Chapter 1 is most distanced in their decision-making?
3. According to Grossman at the end of Chapter 2, what is the most effective treatment for psychiatric casualties?
4. In Chapter 1, Grossman cites a study which says vets are most likely to fire when?
5. What reason is given in Bhagavad Gita to justify killing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors does Grossman say are contributing to youth violence in Chapter 1?
2. What is punishment justification?
3. What does Grossman reveal to be the most shocking element of crimes in the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. Describe the metaphor Grossman uses for fortitude in Chapter 6?
5. What surprising insight into Vietnam does RB Anderson make in Chapter 1?
6. What are the three categories of atrocity as delineated in Chapter 1?
7. What factors traditionally assist in rationalization and acceptance after combat?
8. What role does enemy morale play in the choice to kill?
9. What hypothetical situation does Grossman relate in Chapter 3?
10. How did John Foster rationalize killing a VC in Chapter 1?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)