|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what tactic does Grossman describe as key to training soldiers to fire in combat?
2. What famous study is cited at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Pavlov's dog experiments.
(b) The Tuskegee Institute syphilis studies.
(c) The Yale "electroshock" study.
(d) The Stanford "prison" study.
3. At the end of Chapter 4, what physical reaction to exhaustion and hunger does Grossman cite?
(a) Body tremors.
(c) Organ failure.
(d) Involuntary urination.
4. With what term does Grossman describe the reticence of the military to discuss non-firing in Chapter 3?
(a) An official fiction.
(b) Everybody's sin.
(c) A secret under the rug.
(d) A conspiracy of silence.
5. According to Grossman in Chapter 3, why would racially and ethnically dominant rhetoric by American leaders have been unhelpful in the Iraq War?
(a) Our military is multi-racial.
(b) We have a history of domestic racial oppression.
(c) Our enemies and allies were the same race.
(d) We have not official language or religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fear did Saddam Hussein seize upon to hold on to power, as discussed in Chapter 2?
2. In Chapter 3, an Israeli study says a hostage is much more likely to die if what?
3. Which of the following is not a component of killing that is covered in Chapter 4?
4. According to Grossman in Chapter 1, why is it easy for the wealthy to oppress the poor without feeling guilt?
5. In Chapter 1, Grossman reveals that the majority of active World War II soldiers did what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does enemy morale play in the choice to kill?
2. What societal and moral tenets cause guilt in an individual who has killed in a war?
3. What is a crew-served weapon?
4. Describe the Vietnam story of Chapter 4.
5. As discussed in Chapter 3, what is the emotional advantage of hand grenades?
6. As described in Chapter 2, why are snipers given the cold shoulder in the military?
7. How was the Roman centurion model more effective than the Greek phalanx, according to Grossman?
8. Describe the Lost Battalion's experience behind lines.
9. What are the primary components of Exhaustion as outlined in Chapter 3?
10. What warning about video games does Grossman make at the end of Chapter 3?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)