|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not an option for a soldier in combat that Grossman lists in Chapter 1?
2. According to Grossman in Chapter 2, who is often given the cold shoulder in the military?
(a) Newly-commisioned officers.
3. Which of the following is not a sign of psychological trauma discussed in Chapter 1?
(a) Sporadic Violence.
(b) Obsessional and Compulsive States.
(c) Character Disorders.
(d) Fatigue States.
4. Aside from officers, which individuals are often killed in combat for their toll on morale?
(b) Young recruits.
(d) The elderly.
5. What percentage of casualties did cannon fire comprise in many Civil War battles?
Short Answer Questions
1. What conversion did most military personnel make to their bayonets in combat?
2. In Chapter 3, an Israeli study says a hostage is much more likely to die if what?
3. According to Grossman in Chapter 3, why would racially and ethnically dominant rhetoric by American leaders have been unhelpful in the Iraq War?
4. Chapter 7 begins with several vets joking about raping and murdering which public figure?
5. What great advance in military technology did Gustavus Adolphus create?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Lost Battalion's experience behind lines.
2. What surprising fact regarding soldier's fears in combat is revealed in Chapter 2?
3. How does the Yale electroshock study connect with Grossman's thesis in Chapter 1?
4. What is the silent conspiracy does Grossman discuss in Chapter 4?
5. What is surprising about the study cited in Chapter 1 regarding what compels soldiers to shoot?
6. At the beginning of the book, what personal prejudices does Grossman admit to?
7. What inefficiency of edged-weapon combat does Grossman reveal in Chapter 5?
8. According to Grossman in Chapter 4, how do soldiers deal with guilt and horror in combat?
9. As described in Chapter 2, why are snipers given the cold shoulder in the military?
10. Why does the Vietnam Vet quoted in Chapter 7 choose to leave the army after six tours?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)