|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not an example of an earlier, less-detrimental media monster listed in Chapter 2?
(a) The Wolf Man.
(c) Norman Bates.
2. Who is Caspar Weinberger?
(a) Former Joint Chief.
(b) Former Secretary of State.
(c) Former Secretary of Defense.
(d) Former Vice President.
3. What percentage of the population qualifies as a natural warrior?
(a) About 25 percent.
(b) About 6 percent.
(c) About 2 percent.
(d) About 10 percent.
4. As related in Chapter 6, which catalyzing event occurred to Calley's platoon the day before the My Lai massacre?
(a) A soldier tripped a booby trap.
(b) The platoon was ambushed by VC.
(c) The Golf of Tonkin incident occured.
(d) Calley's wife divorced him.
5. What is a common feature of natural warriors presented in Chapter 5?
(a) They come from working class families.
(b) They experienced violence as children.
(c) They join the military before the age of 25.
(d) They have no religious affiliation.
6. As described in Chapter 5, natural warriors are able to kill without what?
(b) Acknowledging it.
7. In Chapter 1, what weapon does Grossman use as an example of a homemade killing implement?
(a) A shiv.
(b) A spring gun.
(c) An IED.
(d) A sawed-off shotgun.
8. In RB Anderson's excerpt in Chapter 1, what aspect of Vietnam does he claim non-vets do not understand?
(a) He believed in the mission.
(b) His tour was a blur.
(c) The memories do not go away.
(d) It was fun.
9. Which of the following is not a symptom of PTSD?
(a) Bouts of vertigo.
(b) Intrusive dreams.
(c) Social withdrawal.
(d) Difficulty maintaining relationships.
10. When does a soldier's guilt following an atrocity become completely unavoidable?
(a) When the war is a domestic conflict.
(b) When his side loses.
(c) When he returns to a peacetime situation.
(d) When he is already depressed.
11. What cold consolation for Vietnam vets does Grossman acknowledge in Chapter 2?
(a) The successful political careers of several vets.
(b) The end of the draft.
(c) The fall of the Soviet Union.
(d) The changes to military training policy because of the war.
12. In Chapter 6, Grossman indicates that an Islamic suicide bomber's authority figure is what?
(a) A religious leader.
(c) A terrorist cell leader.
13. Which of the following theorists presents evidence concerning tactical attractiveness of a victim?
14. According to Grossman in Chapter 3, why is the struggle to train young men to kill a lopsided struggle?
(a) Young men are naturally disposed to be aggressive.
(b) The army is poorly staffed and funded.
(c) Killing is against human instinct.
(d) Armies have had thousands of years to develop.
15. In Chapter 4, Grossman says that every veteran can immediately visualize his what?
(a) Drill instuctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal was used in Skinner's conditioning experiment?
2. By the late 1990's, approximately how many Vietnam vets were suffering from PTSD?
3. Which of the following is not a psychological process for enabling killing as set out in Chapter 1?
4. At the end of Chapter 5, Grossman says that a soldier who refuses to take part in an atrocity represents what?
5. Which of the following is not a means of recuperation Grossman endorses for PTSD in Chapter 3?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)