|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 1, Grossman says he will only discover the distance guilt relationship as it concerns what?
(b) The twentieth century.
2. What term arose in the early 1990's to describe the new fighting techniques seen in the Gulf War?
(a) Nintendo war.
(b) Calling-card war.
(c) Telegraph war.
(d) Mail-order war.
3. At the end of Chapter 4, what physical reaction to exhaustion and hunger does Grossman cite?
(a) Involuntary urination.
(b) Organ failure.
(c) Body tremors.
4. In Chapter 8, what term does Grossman use to refer to those who have killed in war?
(b) Legalized perpetrators.
(c) Combat actives.
(d) Noncriminal killers.
5. What is the unifying element that links all of the coping tactics in Chapter 3?
6. Freud, as quoted in Chapter 1, stresses the ascendancy of man's desire to what?
(a) Prove himself.
(c) Be validated.
7. As described in Chapter 4, how did German soldiers surrender at the end of World War II?
(a) Singing the Star Spangled Banner.
(b) Bowing to American tanks.
(c) Holding out family pictures.
(d) Burning their uniforms.
8. During World War I, what was the favored weapon of American servicemen for killing enemy combatants?
9. In the beginning of Chapter 3, what does the Vietnam vet assume is on the back of the picture in Grossman's story?
(a) A goodbye message.
(b) An address.
(d) A date.
10. In Chapter 7, what does Grossman cite as a powerful examine of of link between violence and sex in popular culture?
(a) Girls-with-guns videos.
(b) Miami Vice.
(c) Dead teenager slasher films.
(d) Russ Meyer pictures.
11. Early in Chapter 2, Grossman quotes a researcher who say that most soldier's relationship with their comrades are stronger than with whom?
(a) Their children.
(b) Their parents.
(c) Their wives.
12. According to Grossman in Chapter 8, what varies widely regarding those who recover from mental trauma after killing in combat?
(a) Outlet for recovery.
(b) Desire for recovery.
(c) Time needed for recovery.
(d) Level of recovery.
13. In Chapter 7, an anonymous soldier compares what horrific incident to masturbation?
(a) The My Lai massacre.
(b) The Katyn massacre.
(c) The Battle of Shiloh.
(d) The Cultural Revolution.
14. Which of the following is not an animal that Grossman uses as an example of sexual dominating behavior at the beginning of Chapter 7?
15. What does Gossman say edged weapons produce effectively at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. Near the end of Chapter 1, Grossman cites a political cartoon criticizing what American commander?
2. In the World War II stories of Chapter 4, what do soldiers do to avoid killing?
3. In the Crimean War anecdote in Chapter 1, what do the soldiers do when confronted with an enemy at ten paces?
4. Which of the following is not an option for a soldier in combat that Grossman lists in Chapter 1?
5. What famous study is cited at the beginning of Chapter 1?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)