|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does the tape praise?
2. Whose room does Bond sneak into?
3. Who supports Bond through a dance?
4. What does Bond pretend to be when he meets the fireman?
5. What does Bond ask Irma for to protect his eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bond kill his pursuer?
2. Describe the second meeting between Bond and Blofeld.
3. What does Bond find out about one of the girls at the bar in Chapter 13?
4. How does Bond kill his pursuers in Chapter 18?
5. What problems does Britain have with turkeys in Chapter 21?
6. What does Bond hear during the night in Ruby's room?
7. Describe the meeting between Blofeld and Bond in Chapter 19.
8. How do Bond's pursuers try to kill him?
9. What does Bond find out about Ruby in Chapter 13?
10. Describe Bond's dream in Chapter 20.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Fleming's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
On Her Majesty's Secret Service is part of the spy fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Bond series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in On Her Majesty's Secret Service?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)