|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Bond work all day on?
2. What does Bond pretend to be when he meets the fireman?
3. What does Bond kill the guard with?
4. What does Blofeld leave on the track for Bond?
5. What city do Tracy and Bond drive to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bond refuse to identify Shaun Campbell?
2. Describe the meeting between Blofeld and Bond in Chapter 19.
3. How does Draco camouflage his helicopter?
4. How does Bond kill his pursuers in Chapter 18?
5. How does Bond get ready to escape?
6. How does Bond try to hide himself in Samaden?
7. What does Bond find out about Ruby in Chapter 13?
8. What does Mr. Franklin suspect Blofeld's plan is?
9. Describe Bond's dream in Chapter 20.
10. How does Bond escape from the building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there any character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Fleming portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)