|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Agent 501 an expert in?
2. What does Bond have an anxiety dream about?
3. What animal was Ruby allergic to?
4. What kind of bird did Britain have to import during the holidays?
5. Which of the following is not part of the bob sled track?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bond try to hide himself in Samaden?
2. What does Bond say in his message to headquarters?
3. Why does Bond refuse to identify Shaun Campbell?
4. Describe the second meeting between Bond and Blofeld.
5. How does Bond kill his pursuers in Chapter 18?
6. What problems does Britain have with turkeys in Chapter 21?
7. How does Bond get ready to escape?
8. What does Bond find out about one of the girls at the bar in Chapter 13?
9. How does Bond escape from the building?
10. What does Bond hear during the night in Ruby's room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Fleming writes On Her Majesty's Secret Service in the third person. Why do you think Fleming chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Fleming wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Bond decide to marry Tracy? In what way does Fleming suggest Bond is going against his natural instincts by marrying her? How do you think Tracy's death will affect him?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)