|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal was Ruby allergic to?
2. What room does Ruby lead Bond into?
3. What does Bond dictate to Goodnight?
4. Who does Bond write a letter to in this chapter?
5. What does Bond use as invisible ink?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bond find out about Ruby in Chapter 13?
2. How does Bond kill his pursuers in Chapter 18?
3. What does Bond say in his message to headquarters?
4. How do Bond's pursuers try to kill him?
5. How does Bond try to hide himself in Samaden?
6. Why does Bond refuse to identify Shaun Campbell?
7. What does Bond arrange at Zurich Airport in Chapter 19?
8. Describe Bond's dream in Chapter 20.
9. What does Bond hear during the night in Ruby's room?
10. What does Mr. Franklin suspect Blofeld's plan is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Bond decide to marry Tracy? In what way does Fleming suggest Bond is going against his natural instincts by marrying her? How do you think Tracy's death will affect him?
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there any character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Fleming portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)