|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Blofeld's ears?
2. Where does Bond take a knife from?
3. What does Basilisk say people are awestruck with?
4. What do the two men usher Bond and Tracy onto?
5. What kind of bet is a banco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bond think about as he sits on the beach?
2. Describe the meeting between Bond and Blofeld in Chapter 11.
3. What does Bond do between breakfast and lunch in Chapter 12?
4. What strange things does Bond notice at dinner?
5. What awakens Bond in the morning?
6. Who is Ernst Stravo Blofeld?
7. What is Piz Gloria?
8. How does Bond lock himself in the office trailer?
9. Why is Bond watching the woman?
10. How does Bond deal with the man who asks if he is Sir Hilary Bray?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Bond decide to marry Tracy? In what way does Fleming suggest Bond is going against his natural instincts by marrying her? How do you think Tracy's death will affect him?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)