|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bond watching?
2. What is the name of Bond's secretary?
3. What does Bond have a million francs saved up to do?
4. What is Draco the head of?
5. What family does Bond say Irma's surname might be related to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tracy suggest that she is suicidal?
2. What strange things does Bond notice at dinner?
3. Describe the first meeting with Bond and Draco.
4. What does Bond do between breakfast and lunch in Chapter 12?
5. Why is Bond watching the woman?
6. How does Bond lock himself in the office trailer?
7. What is Piz Gloria?
8. Why is Bond finding it difficult to track down Blofeld?
9. What is Bond's plan for his vacation?
10. Why does Bond choose Sir Hilary Bray as his cover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does Fleming express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Write a 500-word essay revolving around one of the following statements:
1) Fleming represents Bond as someone who has been conditioned by the British Secret Services and could have just as easily been a criminal.
2) Bond marries Tracy against his natural instincts and any revenge he may seek afterward he will do more out of duty than love.
3) The book's strong female characters show that woman's role in society was becoming increasingly prominent.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Fleming's writing style. How would you describe Fleming's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Fleming's style give to the story?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)