|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the man in the restaurant ask for?
2. Where does Goodnight tell Bond to report to?
3. What kind of bet is a banco?
4. Where does Sir Hilary Bray live?
5. Whose name does Bond use for his new identity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange things does Bond notice at dinner?
2. Who is Ernst Stravo Blofeld?
3. How does Bond successfully play baccarat?
4. What is Basilisk's plan for Bond to meet Blofeld?
5. What favor does Bond ask from Draco?
6. How does Bond react when Draco asks him to marry his daughter?
7. How does Tracy suggest that she is suicidal?
8. How do the two men capture Bond and Tracy?
9. What is Bond's plan for his vacation?
10. Why is Piz Gloria the perfect cover for Blofeld?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there any character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Fleming portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 2
On Her Majesty's Secret Service is part of the spy fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Bond series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in On Her Majesty's Secret Service?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)