|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color contact lenses does Blofeld use?
2. What does Tracy do when Bond tries to make arrangements for the day with her?
3. What does Tracy not want to do when Bond arrives in her room?
4. What is the Union Corse better known as?
5. Why does Bond throw the bar game with the girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bond lock himself in the office trailer?
2. Who is Ernst Stravo Blofeld?
3. Why is Piz Gloria the perfect cover for Blofeld?
4. Why is Bond finding it difficult to track down Blofeld?
5. Why does Bond follow Tracy?
6. What is Piz Gloria?
7. What does Griffin tell Bond about his family?
8. How does the man die?
9. What is Basilisk's plan for Bond to meet Blofeld?
10. How has Tracy come off the rails in recent times?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does Fleming express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Bond's character across the whole series.
1) How does Fleming develop Bond's character across the whole series?
2) Does On Her Majesty's Secret Service add any new elements to Bond's character? If so, what?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)