|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose name does Bond use for his new identity?
2. What alcohol does Bond drink to help him sleep?
3. Which feature of Blofeld's makes it likely that he is a count?
4. Where did Tracy finish her education?
5. What country is Bond vacationing in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the man die?
2. Why is Bond watching the woman?
3. How does Tracy suggest that she is suicidal?
4. Why has Bond become become bored with his job?
5. Why does Bond follow Tracy?
6. What strange things does Bond notice at dinner?
7. How does Bond react when Draco asks him to marry his daughter?
8. Why is Piz Gloria the perfect cover for Blofeld?
9. Why is Bond uncomfortable with pretending he is Bray?
10. Describe the meeting between Bond and Blofeld in Chapter 11.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Fleming's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? Where could he have learned about the world of espionage? In what ways is he like or unlike Bond?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there any character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Fleming portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
Write a 500-word essay revolving around one of the following statements:
1) Fleming represents Bond as someone who has been conditioned by the British Secret Services and could have just as easily been a criminal.
2) Bond marries Tracy against his natural instincts and any revenge he may seek afterward he will do more out of duty than love.
3) The book's strong female characters show that woman's role in society was becoming increasingly prominent.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)