|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bond hope does not hear the conversation he has with the man?
2. What did Tracy's child die of?
3. What does Bond try to do when he has made a small fortune gambling?
4. What does Bond have a million francs saved up to do?
5. Who does Bond ask about the screaming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bond's plan for his vacation?
2. What awakens Bond in the morning?
3. How does Bond deal with the man who asks if he is Sir Hilary Bray?
4. How does Bond successfully play baccarat?
5. How does Tracy suggest that she is suicidal?
6. Describe the first meeting between Bond and Tracy.
7. What favor does Bond ask from Draco?
8. What is Piz Gloria?
9. What awakens Bond during the night?
10. Why has Bond become become bored with his job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Bond decide to marry Tracy? In what way does Fleming suggest Bond is going against his natural instincts by marrying her? How do you think Tracy's death will affect him?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does Fleming express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)