|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Miss Appley last week?
2. Where do Norman and Ethel Thayer return for their anniversary?
3. What happens to the package in question #27?
4. How old was Miss Appley on her last birthday?
5. In answer to Norman's question as to why Charlie never married Chelsea, what does Charlie reply?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is both a foreshadowing and a "frame" for the play that occurs at the end of this scene?
2. What does Charlie say about Chelsea and children and what does this possibly reveal about Charlie as a person?
3. Who is Charlie and what is a little about his life and/or history?
4. Who visits Norman and Ethel and what do they leave there?
5. What picture does Norman pick up and what is the story behind it?
6. Briefly describe Norman Thayer, the first character on the set.
7. Another bit of conversation at the end of this scene is indicative of a recurrent theme of this play. Describe the conversation and briefly say what the theme is you think it is bringing up.
8. Give a brief synopsis of Ethel and Charlie's conversation and what the author may be showing through this conversation.
9. Describe the scene and conversation about Elmer.
10. Give a brief description of the setting at the opening of the play.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ethel pulls her doll, Elmer, out of the fireplace, Norman suggests that Elmer might have been attempting suicide when he fell into the fireplace and that he might try that some day himself. Choose one of the following topics and write a cohesive essay with detailed examples.
1). Compare and contrast Norman and Ethel and their attitudes towards death and suicide. Include how you think each of them might commit suicide given their different personalities.
2). Write an essay about the topic of assisted suicide. Include your opinion of it and who you think should be able to take such an action.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 1, Scene 2 when Charlie comes inside, he knocks the screen door off its hinges and offers to help repair it, but Norman refuses his offer, just as Ethel refused Charlie's offer initially to fix the door.
Answer the following questions in a coherent essay using detailed examples from the entire play:
1). Why do you think Ethel refuses Charlie's help with the screen door?
2). Why do you think Norman refuses Charlie's help with the screen door?
3). Do you think the reasons they refuse are influenced by their gender?
Essay Topic 3
Near the end of Act 1, Scene 3, the conversation turns to dancing and Norman expresses regret that he has never taken Ethel dancing. Answer the following questions in a coherent essay using detailed examples from the entire play:
1). What else do you think Norman regrets in his life? Support your ideas with details from the text.
2). Do you think Ethel has any regrets? What would those be? Support your ideas with details from the text.
3). It seems clear that Chelsea has regrets, as she names a couple of them. What are they?
4). Is there any good to be had by holding regrets? What can a person do to let go of regrets?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)