|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Miss Appley on her last birthday?
2. After Ethel comes into the house, what do she and Norman do?
3. For what job does Norman contemplate applying?
4. In answer to Norman's question as to why Charlie never married Chelsea, what does Charlie reply?
5. What makes Norman believe he might be qualified for the job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who visits Norman and Ethel and what do they leave there?
2. What makes the reader think that Charlie still feels some interest in Chelsea?
3. What question does Norman ask Charlie and what is the implication of Charlie's answer?
4. Describe Ethel and a little about her.
5. Though Norman makes no blatant prejudiced statements about Jews, what he does say implies his bigotry. In your own words, what statements seem to suggest that Norman is prejudiced against Jewish people?
6. Briefly describe Norman Thayer, the first character on the set.
7. Describe the scene and conversation about Elmer.
8. What picture does Norman pick up and what is the story behind it?
9. How does the broken screen door come into play again and how does it give the reader a better understanding of Norman's character?
10. Give a brief description of the setting at the opening of the play.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 2, Scene 1, Norman and Billy are sneaking out of the house, acting like old buddies, to go fishing. Choose one of the following to write a coherent essay with detailed examples:
1). Describe the metamorphosis of Billy and Norman's relationship. Fill in the blanks where information is not provided.
2). Discuss why you think Norman adopts some of Billy's style of talk and habits and Billy adopts some of Norman's ideas. Include what those ideas and habits are.
3). Discuss how people tend to treat their grandchildren differently from their children. Give examples from your life or other books/movies you have seen. Why do you think this happens?
Essay Topic 2
The next character introduced in Ethel Thayer, Norman's wife, who is about a decade younger than Norman. Answer the following questions in a coherent essay using detailed examples from the entire play:
1). Describe Ethel's appearance.
2). What has Ethel been doing and what does this say about her physical health as opposed to that of Norman's?
3). From Act 1, Scene 1, write a brief synopsis of Ethel's personality and what details support your description.
Essay Topic 3
Near the end of Act 1, Scene 3, the conversation turns to dancing and Norman expresses regret that he has never taken Ethel dancing. Answer the following questions in a coherent essay using detailed examples from the entire play:
1). What else do you think Norman regrets in his life? Support your ideas with details from the text.
2). Do you think Ethel has any regrets? What would those be? Support your ideas with details from the text.
3). It seems clear that Chelsea has regrets, as she names a couple of them. What are they?
4). Is there any good to be had by holding regrets? What can a person do to let go of regrets?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)