|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does Ethel replace the food Billy has in his hand?
(a) Pizza from the night before.
(b) Sandwiches, milk and raspberries.
(c) Two protein shakes.
2. Why does Ethel accompany Billy upstairs to start the bath water?
(a) She stays in the living room, determined to make Norman and Chelsea talk.
(b) Because she is afraid Billy will make the water too warm.
(c) To give Chelsea a chance to talk to Norman.
(d) To give Norman a chance to fillet the fish instead of Billy.
3. How does Chelsea respond to Norman's attempts to choose the topic of conversation?
(a) She is quiet.
(b) She gets enthusiastic about the Dodgers.
(c) She tells Norman she hates baseball and always has.
(d) She forces him to talk about the two of them.
4. What does Norman do after each fishing trip with Billy?
(a) Calls his best friend in Idaho and brags about what he caught.
(b) Has Billy check the fluid levels in the boat motor.
(c) Makes Billy clean all the fish.
(d) Has Billy clean and polish the boat.
5. For what does Chelsea apologize?
(a) For foisting Billy off on them for awhile.
(b) Chelsea apologizes for her part in their feud.
(c) For returning to the cottage without calling first.
(d) For not giving Norman a chance to drive the rental car.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chelsea greet her mother?
2. About what does Norman try to talk?
3. Who is with Chelsea?
4. With what does Bill become irritated?
5. What is the first thing Norman says to Billy after his father goes outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief synopsis of the conversation Chelsea and Ethel have about Norman as Chelsea just arrives.
2. What can be inferred by the fact that Norman calls Billy by the name Chelsea from time to time?
3. What do you think this first interaction that you described in question #31 implies?
4. Describe the opening scene in Act 2, Scene 1.
5. Referring back to your answer in question #25, venture a guess as to why Chelsea's boyfriends were timid around Norman.
6. One of the statements Bill makes to Norman about Norman's teasing suggests that Chelsea has already prejudiced Bill towards Norman. Describe the scene and say if you think it was fair or wise of Chelsea to "warn" Bill.
7. How, at this point in the play, is Billy's relationship with Norman different from that of Chelsea with her father, Norman?
8. How does the interaction between Norman and Billy Ray in this introductory scene demonstrate the probability that their relationship will be different from the one that Chelsea experienced with her father when she was young?
9. Describe Ethel's concern and role in that day's fishing venture.
10. The opening conversation in this scene brings up an idea already discussed in the previous scene. What does the conversation concern?
This section contains 1,297 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)