|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ethel talk to Norman before he leaves?
(a) She doesn't catch him before he's gone.
(b) To ask him to do something about the spider.
(c) To ask him to take her to town before he leaves.
(d) To suggest he wear a raincoat.
2. How does Ethel respond to Norman's comment?
(a) That Norman had intimidated all of Chelsea's boyfriends.
(b) That she still thinks Norman's a handsome devil.
(c) That Bill Ray does like to hunt.
(d) That Chelsea would have been bored stiff at a life with Charlie.
3. What does Ethel tell Chelsea that surprises Chelsea?
(a) That Ethel has to have surgery for cancer.
(b) That Norman and Billy got along very well while they were in Europe.
(c) That her brother's remains have been found in Viet Nam.
(d) That Charlie is hoping to steal Chelsea away from Bill.
4. How does Norman talk as he and Billy head to the boat?
(a) He doesn't talk and tells Billy not to so as to not alert the fish.
(b) In whispers so as not to scare the loons awake.
(c) In slang like Billy.
(d) Singing a song about a wily catfish.
5. What financial question does Norman ask Bill?
(a) How much money Bill nets per year.
(b) Whether Bill intends to support Chelsea so she can quit her job.
(c) How much Bill charges for fillings.
(d) Whether to invest in a new technology company.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ethel lament about when Norman comes into the room?
2. What is the first thing Norman says to Billy after his father goes outside?
3. Why does Ethel think Norman and Billy shouldn't go fishing?
4. About what does Billy say Norman talks to him while they are out fishing?
5. What does Chelsea say about Norman's retirement dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Norman and Bill after the others have gone outside.
2. Describe Bill's appearance and Billy and Norman returning from downstairs and how does this give readers a sense who Bill is?
3. Describe Ethel's concern and role in that day's fishing venture.
4. One of the statements Bill makes to Norman about Norman's teasing suggests that Chelsea has already prejudiced Bill towards Norman. Describe the scene and say if you think it was fair or wise of Chelsea to "warn" Bill.
5. The opening conversation in this scene brings up an idea already discussed in the previous scene. What does the conversation concern?
6. How does the way Ethel behaves in helping Norman and Billy get off to the lake demonstrate an aspect of her personality?
7. Describe the opening scene in Act 2, Scene 1.
8. What regret does Norman express and what may that regret foreshadow?
9. How does the first interaction between Chelsea and her parents show the reader the relationship between Chelsea and each of her parents?
10. How does the interaction between Norman and Billy Ray in this introductory scene demonstrate the probability that their relationship will be different from the one that Chelsea experienced with her father when she was young?
This section contains 1,534 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)