|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Norman says to Billy after his father goes outside?
(a) That Billy better learn to say please and thank you.
(b) That maybe Norman and Billy can go fishing sometime.
(c) That Norman hopes Billy will tell him about Swiss Family Robinson when he's done reading it.
(d) That Billy will eat only at mealtimes.
2. Why does Ethel suggest Chelsea talk to her father and clear up their relationship?
(a) That Norman is in an especially good mood having had Billy around.
(b) Ethel does not make a suggestion to Chelsea; she wouldn't interfere like that.
(c) That he is getting old and won't be around much longer.
(d) That Norman mentioned that he hope Chelsea would talk to him about that.
3. What is Norman doing at the opening of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Starting up his old Indian motorcycle to show Billy.
(b) Going to town to mail a package.
(c) Gathering up fishing supplies and Billy.
(d) Snoring so loudly everyone in the house is awake.
4. What does Ethel suggest to Norman?
(a) That he invite Bill Ray to take a ride in the boat.
(b) That Norman not lecture Chelsea about anything.
(c) That Norman eat with his mouth closed at dinner.
(d) That he try to get along with Chelsea's new boyfriend.
5. What happened in Brussels with Bill and Chelsea?
(a) They were arrested for accidentally trespassing.
(b) Their suitcases were stolen.
(c) They go in a big fight and Bill went back to California.
(d) They got married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Billy about the lake cottage?
2. What does young Billy announce when he enters the living room?
3. Who goes down to the lake?
4. About what does Billy say Norman talks to him while they are out fishing?
5. What does Norman ask Chelsea about the rental car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bill's appearance and Billy and Norman returning from downstairs and how does this give readers a sense who Bill is?
2. Describe Ethel's concern and role in that day's fishing venture.
3. How does the way Ethel behaves in helping Norman and Billy get off to the lake demonstrate an aspect of her personality?
4. How does the interaction between Norman and Billy Ray in this introductory scene demonstrate the probability that their relationship will be different from the one that Chelsea experienced with her father when she was young?
5. Referring back to your answer in question #25, venture a guess as to why Chelsea's boyfriends were timid around Norman.
6. What regret does Norman express and what may that regret foreshadow?
7. Describe the scene that occurs after Charlie arrives and what theme this vignette may illustrate.
8. What can be inferred by the fact that Norman calls Billy by the name Chelsea from time to time?
9. The scene when Billy Ray is introduced gives subtle clues as to how Norman may not be quite as gruff as first appears and how Chelsea misses the clue. Elaborate on this scene.
10. Describe the first interaction between Ethel and Chelsea when they are alone.
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)