|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ethel ask Norman when she comes inside?
(a) If Norman thinks Bill will make a good husband for Chelsea.
(b) If Billy would like some milk and cookies.
(c) If Norman was to go skinny dipping.
(d) If Norman has been torturing Bill.
2. What does Norman suggest Billy do about his walk?
(a) To slow it down in the house.
(b) To walk with a straight back.
(c) Not to have his pants hanging so low when he walks.
(d) To slouch a little to look more like a cool dude.
3. What does Norman mention to Ethel at the opening of this scene?
(a) That Chelsea did not marry Charlie.
(b) That Bill Ray does not like fishing.
(c) That Norman finds Ethel as attractive as the day they met.
(d) That Chelsea is past childbearing age and is childless.
4. Who goes down to the lake?
(a) Chelsea and Bill.
(b) Chelsea, Ethel, and Billy.
(c) Chelsea and Norman.
5. What does Norman give Billy to read?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) Swiss Family Robinson.
(c) Star Wars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ethel suggest to Norman?
2. How does Ethel respond to Norman's comment?
3. What is the first thing Norman says to Billy after his father goes outside?
4. With what does Bill become irritated?
5. What is Norman doing at the opening of Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the opening scene in Act 2, Scene 1.
2. Describe the first interaction between Ethel and Chelsea when they are alone.
3. What do you think this first interaction that you described in question #31 implies?
4. What can be inferred by the fact that Norman calls Billy by the name Chelsea from time to time?
5. What does Norman tell Ethel she shouldn't do in front of Chelsea and her boyfriend and how does this brief exchange between Norman and Ethel demonstrate a difference in their personality?
6. How, at this point in the play, is Billy's relationship with Norman different from that of Chelsea with her father, Norman?
7. Describe the interaction between Norman and Bill after the others have gone outside.
8. Describe the two fishermen's interaction as they leave for the dock.
9. What does Ethel do after Norman and Billy leave?
10. What regret does Norman express and what may that regret foreshadow?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)