|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Chelsea apologize?
(a) Chelsea apologizes for her part in their feud.
(b) For foisting Billy off on them for awhile.
(c) For returning to the cottage without calling first.
(d) For not giving Norman a chance to drive the rental car.
2. What does Norman do after each fishing trip with Billy?
(a) Makes Billy clean all the fish.
(b) Has Billy check the fluid levels in the boat motor.
(c) Calls his best friend in Idaho and brags about what he caught.
(d) Has Billy clean and polish the boat.
3. What does Norman call Billy from time to time?
(b) Bobby, his deceased son.
(c) Young whippersnapper.
4. How does Ethel respond to Norman's comment?
(a) That Norman had intimidated all of Chelsea's boyfriends.
(b) That Bill Ray does like to hunt.
(c) That Chelsea would have been bored stiff at a life with Charlie.
(d) That she still thinks Norman's a handsome devil.
5. How does Act 3, Scene 1 end?
(a) Billy coming downstairs and asking Norman to take him hunting.
(b) Charlie leaving in despair after learning of Chelsea's marriage.
(c) Charlie, Chelsea and Ethel singing a camp song and dancing.
(d) Norman offering to take Bill out in the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ethel think it's going to rain that day?
2. What is Bill's response about Billy's announcement?
3. How does Chelsea pass off Billy and Norman's fishing activities?
4. How does Ethel respond when Chelsea continues to speak about her father being difficult?
5. What is Norman's reaction to Chelsea's response?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does this opening scene suggest about the relationship between Norman and Billy?
2. Describe the two fishermen's interaction as they leave for the dock.
3. The scene when Billy Ray is introduced gives subtle clues as to how Norman may not be quite as gruff as first appears and how Chelsea misses the clue. Elaborate on this scene.
4. What do you think this first interaction that you described in question #31 implies?
5. What can be inferred by the fact that Norman calls Billy by the name Chelsea from time to time?
6. How does the first interaction between Chelsea and her parents show the reader the relationship between Chelsea and each of her parents?
7. How, at this point in the play, is Billy's relationship with Norman different from that of Chelsea with her father, Norman?
8. Describe the scene that occurs after Charlie arrives and what theme this vignette may illustrate.
9. How does the interaction between Norman and Billy Ray in this introductory scene demonstrate the probability that their relationship will be different from the one that Chelsea experienced with her father when she was young?
10. Describe the interaction between Norman and Bill after the others have gone outside.
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)