|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Bill and Norman talk about mostly at the beginning of their conversation?
(c) The New York Stock Exchange.
2. What was Norman's overall impression of Bill?
(a) That he was nice.
(b) That he was talkative.
(c) That he was condescending.
(d) That he was arrogant.
3. Who goes down to the lake?
(a) Chelsea, Ethel, and Billy.
(b) Chelsea and Norman.
(d) Chelsea and Bill.
4. What does Norman give Billy to read?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) Star Wars.
(d) Swiss Family Robinson.
5. What is the first thing Norman says to Billy after his father goes outside?
(a) That Billy better learn to say please and thank you.
(b) That Norman hopes Billy will tell him about Swiss Family Robinson when he's done reading it.
(c) That Billy will eat only at mealtimes.
(d) That maybe Norman and Billy can go fishing sometime.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ethel lament about when Norman comes into the room?
2. With what language is Norman helping Billy?
3. How does Chelsea greet her mother?
4. What does Norman say about his and Chelsea's relationship?
5. What does Ethel tell Chelsea that surprises Chelsea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ethel do after Norman and Billy leave?
2. Describe the scene that occurs after Charlie arrives and what theme this vignette may illustrate.
3. How, at this point in the play, is Billy's relationship with Norman different from that of Chelsea with her father, Norman?
4. What can be inferred by the fact that Norman calls Billy by the name Chelsea from time to time?
5. What do you think this first interaction that you described in question #31 implies?
6. Describe the two fishermen's interaction as they leave for the dock.
7. How does the first interaction between Chelsea and her parents show the reader the relationship between Chelsea and each of her parents?
8. How does the interaction between Norman and Billy Ray in this introductory scene demonstrate the probability that their relationship will be different from the one that Chelsea experienced with her father when she was young?
9. Give a brief synopsis of the conversation Chelsea and Ethel have about Norman as Chelsea just arrives.
10. What theme is illustrated by what Ethel does right after Norman and Billy leave?
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)