|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does young Billy announce when he enters the living room?
(a) That he is going to go read Swiss Family Robinson.
(b) That he wants to go fishing after dinner.
(c) That he is starving and needs a snack.
(d) That Ethel and Chelsea have decided to skinny dip.
2. How does Norman take Ethel's suggestion?
(a) He agrees with her.
(b) He argues.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He pretends he does not hear her.
3. What is the first thing Norman says to Billy after his father goes outside?
(a) That Norman hopes Billy will tell him about Swiss Family Robinson when he's done reading it.
(b) That Billy will eat only at mealtimes.
(c) That maybe Norman and Billy can go fishing sometime.
(d) That Billy better learn to say please and thank you.
4. What does Norman suggest Billy do about his walk?
(a) To slouch a little to look more like a cool dude.
(b) Not to have his pants hanging so low when he walks.
(c) To walk with a straight back.
(d) To slow it down in the house.
5. Why does Ethel accompany Billy upstairs to start the bath water?
(a) Because she is afraid Billy will make the water too warm.
(b) She stays in the living room, determined to make Norman and Chelsea talk.
(c) To give Chelsea a chance to talk to Norman.
(d) To give Norman a chance to fillet the fish instead of Billy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill say he saw when he comes into the house?
2. What does Ethel do after Norman and Billy leave?
3. What news does Chelsea give Norman?
4. With what does Bill become irritated?
5. What interrupts Chelsea and Ethel's conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How, at this point in the play, is Billy's relationship with Norman different from that of Chelsea with her father, Norman?
2. Describe the opening scene in Act 2, Scene 1.
3. Referring back to your answer in question #25, venture a guess as to why Chelsea's boyfriends were timid around Norman.
4. What does Norman tell Ethel she shouldn't do in front of Chelsea and her boyfriend and how does this brief exchange between Norman and Ethel demonstrate a difference in their personality?
5. Describe the scene that occurs after Charlie arrives and what theme this vignette may illustrate.
6. What does this opening scene suggest about the relationship between Norman and Billy?
7. The fact that Ethel twice suggests that Chelsea make amends with her father because he is old and will not live much longer seems to clearly be foreshadowing something. What do you think it foreshadows?
8. Give a brief synopsis of the conversation Chelsea and Ethel have about Norman as Chelsea just arrives.
9. How does the first interaction between Chelsea and her parents show the reader the relationship between Chelsea and each of her parents?
10. What do you think this first interaction that you described in question #31 implies?
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)