|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Norman doing at the opening of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Starting up his old Indian motorcycle to show Billy.
(b) Gathering up fishing supplies and Billy.
(c) Going to town to mail a package.
(d) Snoring so loudly everyone in the house is awake.
2. What interrupts Chelsea and Ethel's conversation?
(a) The telephone rings.
(b) Charlie's knock on the door.
(c) The arrival of Norman and Billy.
(d) The neighbor pulls up in her car.
3. Why does Ethel suggest Chelsea talk to her father and clear up their relationship?
(a) That Norman mentioned that he hope Chelsea would talk to him about that.
(b) That Norman is in an especially good mood having had Billy around.
(c) Ethel does not make a suggestion to Chelsea; she wouldn't interfere like that.
(d) That he is getting old and won't be around much longer.
4. What was Norman's overall impression of Bill?
(a) That he was arrogant.
(b) That he was talkative.
(c) That he was condescending.
(d) That he was nice.
5. Who catches Ethel singing?
(b) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ethel accompany Billy upstairs to start the bath water?
2. What does Norman do after each fishing trip with Billy?
3. With what does Bill become irritated?
4. How does Chelsea respond to Norman's attempts to choose the topic of conversation?
5. What does Norman suggest Billy do about his walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the first interaction between Chelsea and her parents show the reader the relationship between Chelsea and each of her parents?
2. Describe the scene that occurs after Charlie arrives and what theme this vignette may illustrate.
3. Give a brief synopsis of the conversation Chelsea and Ethel have about Norman as Chelsea just arrives.
4. Describe the interaction between Norman and Bill after the others have gone outside.
5. What does Ethel do after Norman and Billy leave?
6. Describe the two fishermen's interaction as they leave for the dock.
7. How does the interaction between Norman and Billy Ray in this introductory scene demonstrate the probability that their relationship will be different from the one that Chelsea experienced with her father when she was young?
8. How, at this point in the play, is Billy's relationship with Norman different from that of Chelsea with her father, Norman?
9. Describe the opening scene in Act 2, Scene 1.
10. How does the way Ethel behaves in helping Norman and Billy get off to the lake demonstrate an aspect of her personality?
This section contains 1,488 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)