|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Chelsea apologize?
(a) For returning to the cottage without calling first.
(b) For not giving Norman a chance to drive the rental car.
(c) For foisting Billy off on them for awhile.
(d) Chelsea apologizes for her part in their feud.
2. About what does Norman try to talk?
3. Who is with Chelsea?
(b) No one.
(c) Her best friend from high school.
4. Why does Ethel suggest Chelsea talk to her father and clear up their relationship?
(a) That he is getting old and won't be around much longer.
(b) That Norman mentioned that he hope Chelsea would talk to him about that.
(c) That Norman is in an especially good mood having had Billy around.
(d) Ethel does not make a suggestion to Chelsea; she wouldn't interfere like that.
5. What does Norman suggest Billy do about his walk?
(a) To walk with a straight back.
(b) Not to have his pants hanging so low when he walks.
(c) To slouch a little to look more like a cool dude.
(d) To slow it down in the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chelsea say about her attitude over the years?
2. With what language is Norman helping Billy?
3. What do Bill and Norman talk about mostly at the beginning of their conversation?
4. Why does Ethel think it's going to rain that day?
5. What does Norman mention to Ethel at the opening of this scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first interaction between Ethel and Chelsea when they are alone.
2. What does this opening scene suggest about the relationship between Norman and Billy?
3. Give a brief synopsis of the conversation Chelsea and Ethel have about Norman as Chelsea just arrives.
4. What regret does Norman express and what may that regret foreshadow?
5. What does Norman tell Ethel she shouldn't do in front of Chelsea and her boyfriend and how does this brief exchange between Norman and Ethel demonstrate a difference in their personality?
6. What does Ethel do after Norman and Billy leave?
7. Describe the opening scene in Act 2, Scene 1.
8. One of the statements Bill makes to Norman about Norman's teasing suggests that Chelsea has already prejudiced Bill towards Norman. Describe the scene and say if you think it was fair or wise of Chelsea to "warn" Bill.
9. How does the way Ethel behaves in helping Norman and Billy get off to the lake demonstrate an aspect of her personality?
10. Describe Bill's appearance and Billy and Norman returning from downstairs and how does this give readers a sense who Bill is?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)