|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Norman's reaction to Chelsea's response?
(a) He is not impressed.
(b) He knows that if she says it didn't cost much, it was actually a lot.
(c) He says maybe he'll give it a whirl and see how it rides.
(d) He says it should not have broken down with so few miles.
2. What does Norman do after each fishing trip with Billy?
(a) Has Billy clean and polish the boat.
(b) Has Billy check the fluid levels in the boat motor.
(c) Calls his best friend in Idaho and brags about what he caught.
(d) Makes Billy clean all the fish.
3. What financial question does Norman ask Bill?
(a) How much Bill charges for fillings.
(b) How much money Bill nets per year.
(c) Whether Bill intends to support Chelsea so she can quit her job.
(d) Whether to invest in a new technology company.
4. Who does Norman tell Billy not to awaken?
5. What does young Billy announce when he enters the living room?
(a) That he is going to go read Swiss Family Robinson.
(b) That Ethel and Chelsea have decided to skinny dip.
(c) That he is starving and needs a snack.
(d) That he wants to go fishing after dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what awkward arrangement does Bill ask?
2. Why does Ethel go to get a rake?
3. Why does Ethel accompany Billy upstairs to start the bath water?
4. Who catches Ethel singing?
5. What does Chelsea say in response to Norman's question about the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. The scene when Billy Ray is introduced gives subtle clues as to how Norman may not be quite as gruff as first appears and how Chelsea misses the clue. Elaborate on this scene.
2. How does the way Ethel behaves in helping Norman and Billy get off to the lake demonstrate an aspect of her personality?
3. What does this opening scene suggest about the relationship between Norman and Billy?
4. Give a brief synopsis of the conversation Chelsea and Ethel have about Norman as Chelsea just arrives.
5. Describe Ethel's concern and role in that day's fishing venture.
6. What theme is illustrated by what Ethel does right after Norman and Billy leave?
7. The opening conversation in this scene brings up an idea already discussed in the previous scene. What does the conversation concern?
8. How, at this point in the play, is Billy's relationship with Norman different from that of Chelsea with her father, Norman?
9. Describe the opening scene in Act 2, Scene 1.
10. What do you think this first interaction that you described in question #31 implies?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)