|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Ethel been doing?
(a) Picking berries.
(b) Visiting with neighbors.
(c) Painting by the lake.
(d) Rowing on the lake.
2. What does Ethel plan to do with the berries she's picked?
(a) Take them to an ill neighbor.
(b) Make shortcake for dessert.
(c) Make jam.
(d) Freeze them.
3. How old does Norman say he will be on his next birthday?
4. Who is the person in the picture on the mantle that Norman is studying?
(a) Billy Ray.
(b) His deceased son.
(c) Norman cannot remember.
5. What is the job of the character Ethel meets in the woods?
(b) Mail carrier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the screen door?
2. Who is coming with Chelsea on her visit?
3. How old will Elmer be on his next birthday?
4. Who does Ethel invite in for coffee?
5. What happens to the package in question #27?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Norman become interested in Chelsea's letter and why might that be?
2. Describe the setting at the opening of this scene.
3. What other elderly couple is mentioned in this scene and what does Ethel say about them?
4. Give a brief synopsis of Ethel and Charlie's conversation and what the author may be showing through this conversation.
5. What question does Norman ask Charlie and what is the implication of Charlie's answer?
6. What is both a foreshadowing and a "frame" for the play that occurs at the end of this scene?
7. Who visits Norman and Ethel and what do they leave there?
8. What makes the reader think that Charlie still feels some interest in Chelsea?
9. Describe the scene and conversation about Elmer.
10. Briefly describe Norman Thayer, the first character on the set.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)