|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ethel invite in for coffee?
(a) The police chief.
(c) The neighbor.
2. Who has visited Charlie recently?
(a) His parents.
(b) His best friend from college and a former boyfriend of Chelsea's.
(c) His sister.
(d) His brother.
3. How old does Norman say he will be on his next birthday?
4. How old is Norman?
5. What reason does Norman suggest for Elmer falling into the fireplace?
(a) He is attempting suicide.
(b) He is old and clumsy.
(c) He did not fall in the fireplace; he fell down the chimney.
(d) He wanted attention from Ethel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what ethnic group does Norman seem prejudiced?
2. What is the job of the character Ethel meets in the woods?
3. What happens with Charlie's visitor?
4. Instead of applying for a job, what does Ethel suggest Norman do?
5. After Ethel comes into the house, what do she and Norman do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ethel and a little about her.
2. Who is the elderly couple in the play and where are they arriving at the opening of the play?
3. Describe the scene and conversation about Elmer.
4. Briefly describe Norman Thayer, the first character on the set.
5. What makes the reader think that Charlie still feels some interest in Chelsea?
6. Who is Charlie and what is a little about his life and/or history?
7. When does Norman become interested in Chelsea's letter and why might that be?
8. Describe the setting at the opening of this scene.
9. What picture does Norman pick up and what is the story behind it?
10. Give a brief synopsis of Ethel and Charlie's conversation and what the author may be showing through this conversation.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)