|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is coming with Chelsea on her visit?
(a) Her two poodles.
(b) Her new boyfriend.
(c) Her best friend from high school.
(d) No one.
2. How old will Elmer be on his next birthday?
3. For what job does Norman contemplate applying?
(c) Guardian ad litem.
(d) Pizza delivery.
4. What is Norman using to aid his activity in the opening of the scene?
(a) A pulse meter.
(b) A hearing aid.
(c) A magnifying glass.
(d) Gourmet chef's cookware.
5. How many acts does this play have?
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Ethel complain?
2. How old is Norman's wife?
3. Who invites Ethel and Norman to dinner?
4. What is Charlie's response to Ethel's suggestion?
5. Why has the person called?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Ethel and Norman in this scene and say what you think it may mean.
2. Give a brief synopsis of Ethel and Charlie's conversation and what the author may be showing through this conversation.
3. What does Charlie say about Chelsea and children and what does this possibly reveal about Charlie as a person?
4. What question does Norman ask Charlie and what is the implication of Charlie's answer?
5. Another bit of conversation at the end of this scene is indicative of a recurrent theme of this play. Describe the conversation and briefly say what the theme is you think it is bringing up.
6. What does Ethel say about the neighbors and what is Norman's response?
7. What other elderly couple is mentioned in this scene and what does Ethel say about them?
8. What makes the reader think that Charlie still feels some interest in Chelsea?
9. Briefly describe Norman Thayer, the first character on the set.
10. Describe Ethel and a little about her.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)