|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another thing Charlie brought with him?
(a) A letter from Chelsea.
(b) An invitation from his mother.
(c) An armful of firewood.
(d) Two freshly-caught bass.
2. Who does Norman yell to to ask him/her to open the door?
(b) The cook.
(d) The maid.
3. What does Charlie offer to do for Ethel and Norman?
(a) Fix the plumbing under the sink.
(b) Fix the screen door.
(c) Fix the small leak in the motorboat.
(d) Repair the well pump.
4. What does Ethel suggest Charlie do?
(a) Go fishing with Norman.
(b) Stay out of the heat.
(c) Fix the boat as soon as possible.
(d) Come by and see Chelsea while she is there.
5. How old is Norman?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does Norman say he will be on his next birthday?
2. What happens to the package in question #27?
3. Who has visited Charlie recently?
4. Who liked Chelsea when he was young?
5. Who invites Ethel and Norman to dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ethel say about the neighbors and what is Norman's response?
2. Who is the elderly couple in the play and where are they arriving at the opening of the play?
3. Describe Ethel and a little about her.
4. Describe what happens when Norman uses the phone.
5. Describe the interaction between Ethel and Norman in this scene and say what you think it may mean.
6. When does Norman become interested in Chelsea's letter and why might that be?
7. What makes the reader think that Charlie still feels some interest in Chelsea?
8. Who is Charlie and what is a little about his life and/or history?
9. The fact that Norman attempts to get Charlie to discuss baseball foreshadows several other times that Norman uses baseball to hide his discomfort in carrying on meaningful conversations, particularly concerning Chelsea. What is foreshadowing?
10. What other elderly couple is mentioned in this scene and what does Ethel say about them?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)