|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Norman pick up the telephone?
(a) To call and order pizza delivery.
(b) To see if there is a dial tone.
(c) To call his office and check in.
(d) To call Chelsea.
2. Who is knocking on the door?
(d) The neighbor.
3. After Ethel comes into the house, what do she and Norman do?
(a) Remove the cloths from the furniture.
(b) Turn on the t.v.
(c) Make up the beds with linens.
(d) Make a cup of tea.
4. What did Norman think about Chelsea's swimming abilities.?
(a) He thought she shouldn't be on the swim team.
(b) He criticized her abilities when she was on the swim team.
(c) He thought she was Olympic material.
(d) He was happy that she was a superb diver.
5. Where is Chelsea going after stopping to see her parents?
(a) The Grand Tetons.
(b) To Disneyworld in Florida.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Norman pick any more berries?
2. Who is on the phone when it rings?
3. What is Norman using to aid his activity in the opening of the scene?
4. Who is knocking on the door?
5. Where is Chelsea living now?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the reader think that Charlie still feels some interest in Chelsea?
2. What other elderly couple is mentioned in this scene and what does Ethel say about them?
3. What picture does Norman pick up and what is the story behind it?
4. What does Ethel say about the neighbors and what is Norman's response?
5. Who visits Norman and Ethel and what do they leave there?
6. What does Charlie say about Chelsea and children and what does this possibly reveal about Charlie as a person?
7. Give a brief description of the setting at the opening of the play.
8. Describe the interaction between Ethel and Norman in this scene and say what you think it may mean.
9. The fact that Norman attempts to get Charlie to discuss baseball foreshadows several other times that Norman uses baseball to hide his discomfort in carrying on meaningful conversations, particularly concerning Chelsea. What is foreshadowing?
10. What question does Norman ask Charlie and what is the implication of Charlie's answer?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)