|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ethel suggest Charlie do?
(a) Fix the boat as soon as possible.
(b) Stay out of the heat.
(c) Come by and see Chelsea while she is there.
(d) Go fishing with Norman.
2. What happened to Chelsea's husband?
(a) He was married to another woman when he married Chelsea, so the marriage was annulled.
(b) He was killed in an airplane crash.
(c) His boat was lost at sea and he was never found.
(d) They divorced years ago.
3. At whose picture does Norman look?
(a) Ethel and Norman's wedding photo.
(c) Billy Ray's.
(d) Chelsea and her husband's wedding photo.
4. Who does Norman yell to to ask him/her to open the door?
(a) The maid.
(d) The cook.
5. What did Norman think about Chelsea's swimming abilities.?
(a) He thought she was Olympic material.
(b) He thought she shouldn't be on the swim team.
(c) He was happy that she was a superb diver.
(d) He criticized her abilities when she was on the swim team.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Chelsea living now?
2. What happened to the screen door?
3. When does Norman express interest in the contents of Chelsea's letter?
4. What does Ethel plan to do with the berries she's picked?
5. How old will Elmer be on his next birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Norman uses the phone.
2. What does Charlie say about Chelsea and children and what does this possibly reveal about Charlie as a person?
3. What is both a foreshadowing and a "frame" for the play that occurs at the end of this scene?
4. Who is Charlie and what is a little about his life and/or history?
5. Describe the interaction between Ethel and Norman in this scene and say what you think it may mean.
6. What makes the reader think that Charlie still feels some interest in Chelsea?
7. Who is the elderly couple in the play and where are they arriving at the opening of the play?
8. Describe Ethel and a little about her.
9. What question does Norman ask Charlie and what is the implication of Charlie's answer?
10. What does Charlie suggest about the broken screen door; what is Ethel's reply and why do you think she responds the way she does?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)