|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of their daughter who visits them?
2. Who does Ethel invite in for coffee?
(a) The neighbor.
(c) The police chief.
3. What does the operator ask Norman?
(a) What is his phone number.
(b) What is the hospital's name where is brother is a patient.
(c) Nothing because Norman does not talk with the operator.
(d) What is Chelsea's cell phone number.
4. In what year is the house at Golden Pond built?
5. In answer to Norman's question as to why Charlie never married Chelsea, what does Charlie reply?
(a) Chelsea hated Charlie.
(b) Charlie was never that interested in Chelsea.
(c) Chelsea was pregnant by another guy.
(d) Norman wouldn't let Charlie marry Chelsea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is coming with Chelsea on her visit?
2. What happened to Miss Appley last week?
3. For what reason is Chelsea going to visit?
4. What does Ethel find intriguing about Miss Appley and Miss Tate?
5. How many acts does this play have?
Short Essay Questions
1. The fact that Ethel twice suggests that Chelsea make amends with her father because he is old and will not live much longer seems to clearly be foreshadowing something. What do you think it foreshadows?
2. Give a brief synopsis of the conversation Chelsea and Ethel have about Norman as Chelsea just arrives.
3. Describe the first interaction between Ethel and Chelsea when they are alone.
4. What picture does Norman pick up and what is the story behind it?
5. What does Charlie say about Chelsea and children and what does this possibly reveal about Charlie as a person?
6. When does Norman become interested in Chelsea's letter and why might that be?
7. How does the interaction between Norman and Billy Ray in this introductory scene demonstrate the probability that their relationship will be different from the one that Chelsea experienced with her father when she was young?
8. What makes the reader think that Charlie still feels some interest in Chelsea?
9. Briefly describe Norman Thayer, the first character on the set.
10. What is both a foreshadowing and a "frame" for the play that occurs at the end of this scene?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)