|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Ethel complain?
(a) That Chelsea hasn't called.
(b) That Norman never goes outside.
(c) That Norman cheats at cards.
(d) That the postman dropped the letters in a puddle and got them wet.
2. Why do Chelsea and her boyfriend leave young Billy with Norman and Ethel Thayer?
(a) He doesn't have any grandparents so wants them to be that to him.
(b) He needs to be taught how to behave around older people.
(c) His camp canceled their summer program.
(d) They are going to Europe.
3. What has Ethel been doing?
(a) Picking berries.
(b) Visiting with neighbors.
(c) Painting by the lake.
(d) Rowing on the lake.
4. What separates the kitchen from the living room?
(a) A bead curtin.
(c) A pocket door.
(d) A swinging door.
5. Where is Chelsea going after stopping to see her parents?
(b) The Grand Tetons.
(c) To Disneyworld in Florida.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Norman and Ethel Thayer return for their anniversary?
2. In what year is the house at Golden Pond built?
3. Who is Elmer?
4. Why didn't Norman pick any more berries?
5. How old is Norman's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Though Norman makes no blatant prejudiced statements about Jews, what he does say implies his bigotry. In your own words, what statements seem to suggest that Norman is prejudiced against Jewish people?
2. Describe the scene and conversation about Elmer.
3. Why do you think Ethel has never taken the idea of Norman's death seriously before now, especially considering that he's been on heart medication for awhile?
4. The last thing Ethel says in the book can be considered a "double entendre," i.e., that it can have a dual meaning. What is the act in the book and what are the two possible meanings?
5. Describe Ethel's concern and role in that day's fishing venture.
6. What does Ethel do after Norman and Billy leave?
7. What does Charlie say about Chelsea and children and what does this possibly reveal about Charlie as a person?
8. How does the first interaction between Chelsea and her parents show the reader the relationship between Chelsea and each of her parents?
9. The scene when Billy Ray is introduced gives subtle clues as to how Norman may not be quite as gruff as first appears and how Chelsea misses the clue. Elaborate on this scene.
10. What does Ethel confess to Norman?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)