|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who invites Ethel and Norman to dinner?
(a) Chelsea and Bill.
(b) The Melciorris.
(c) No one.
(d) The Putnams.
2. Where is Chelsea going after stopping to see her parents?
(c) The Grand Tetons.
(d) To Disneyworld in Florida.
3. Who is the person in the picture on the mantle that Norman is studying?
(a) His deceased son.
(b) Billy Ray.
(c) Norman cannot remember.
4. About what does Ethel complain?
(a) That Chelsea hasn't called.
(b) That Norman cheats at cards.
(c) That the postman dropped the letters in a puddle and got them wet.
(d) That Norman never goes outside.
5. How many summers have Norman and Ethel Thayer been coming to this setting?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the job of the character Ethel meets in the woods?
2. Where are the bedrooms in this house?
3. What happens with Charlie's visitor?
4. When does Norman express interest in the contents of Chelsea's letter?
5. After Ethel comes into the house, what do she and Norman do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Norman and Bill after the others have gone outside.
2. The fact that Ethel twice suggests that Chelsea make amends with her father because he is old and will not live much longer seems to clearly be foreshadowing something. What do you think it foreshadows?
3. What is Ethel's response?
4. Who is Charlie and what is a little about his life and/or history?
5. The fact that Norman asks to speak to Billy and only agrees to the trip to California to see Billy again suggest what about the relationship between Norman and Chelsea?
6. When does Norman become interested in Chelsea's letter and why might that be?
7. Describe Bill's appearance and Billy and Norman returning from downstairs and how does this give readers a sense who Bill is?
8. What does Norman apologize for and how might a reader interpret that apology?
9. How does the broken screen door come into play again and how does it give the reader a better understanding of Norman's character?
10. Describe the first interaction between Ethel and Chelsea when they are alone.
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)