|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Norman say about dancing when that topic arises?
(a) He hates dancing since his gay son loves it.
(b) His religion forbids dancing.
(c) He and Ethel used to win ballroom dance contests when younger.
(d) He regrets not ever taking Ethel dancing.
2. For what does Chelsea apologize?
(a) Chelsea apologizes for her part in their feud.
(b) For foisting Billy off on them for awhile.
(c) For not giving Norman a chance to drive the rental car.
(d) For returning to the cottage without calling first.
3. How was Chelsea's trip to Europe?
4. With what language is Norman helping Billy?
(c) Proper English.
5. How does Act 3, Scene 1 end?
(a) Norman offering to take Bill out in the boat.
(b) Charlie leaving in despair after learning of Chelsea's marriage.
(c) Billy coming downstairs and asking Norman to take him hunting.
(d) Charlie, Chelsea and Ethel singing a camp song and dancing.
6. What news does Chelsea give Norman?
(a) That she is pregnant.
(b) That she has married Bill.
(c) That she plans to marry Charlie.
(d) That Billy is actually her biological son.
7. What does young Billy announce when he enters the living room?
(a) That he is starving and needs a snack.
(b) That he is going to go read Swiss Family Robinson.
(c) That Ethel and Chelsea have decided to skinny dip.
(d) That he wants to go fishing after dinner.
8. What does Norman mention to Ethel at the opening of this scene?
(a) That Norman finds Ethel as attractive as the day they met.
(b) That Chelsea did not marry Charlie.
(c) That Chelsea is past childbearing age and is childless.
(d) That Bill Ray does not like fishing.
9. What does Norman say about his and Chelsea's relationship?
(a) That he didn't like her because she was a girl.
(b) That they did not like each other.
(c) That he thought they got along quite nicely.
(d) That Chelsea was adopted and Norman could never feel like she was his child.
10. What happens to the rental car on the way to the cottage?
(a) It breaks down every several miles.
(b) It suddenly starts smelling strangely.
(d) Chelsea puts a bad dent in it.
11. What does Ethel lament about when Norman comes into the room?
(a) That their son is not there to celebrate.
(b) That her best dress has shrunk.
(c) That she has not yet dressed for dinner.
(d) That Bill Ray is a dentist and not a medical doctor.
12. What does Chelsea say about Norman's retirement dinner?
(a) That she thought it wasn't elaborate enough for how important Norman was to the company.
(b) She does not mention the retirement dinner.
(c) That she was so proud of him giving his speech.
(d) That she was sorry she didn't go.
13. What does Norman do after each fishing trip with Billy?
(a) Has Billy check the fluid levels in the boat motor.
(b) Makes Billy clean all the fish.
(c) Calls his best friend in Idaho and brags about what he caught.
(d) Has Billy clean and polish the boat.
14. Why does Ethel go to get a rake?
(a) To dislodge a spider from the ceiling.
(b) To rake the back yard.
(c) To shoo some chickens out of the garden.
(d) To try to reach something with it in the shed.
15. What is Bill's response about Billy's announcement?
(a) He hestitates to join the ladies as he is afraid of bears.
(b) That he can't believe his son is actually going to read a book in the summer.
(c) That there are still snacks in the cooler they brought.
(d) That maybe Norman will take him fishing if Billy asks politely.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ethel think it's going to rain that day?
2. Who catches Ethel singing?
3. What does Norman give Billy to read?
4. Why does Ethel accompany Billy upstairs to start the bath water?
5. Who doubts what he says he saw?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)