|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Chelsea and her boyfriend leave young Billy with Norman and Ethel Thayer?
(a) His camp canceled their summer program.
(b) They are going to Europe.
(c) He doesn't have any grandparents so wants them to be that to him.
(d) He needs to be taught how to behave around older people.
2. When does Norman express interest in the contents of Chelsea's letter?
(a) When he hears that Chelsea had major surgery.
(b) When he learns that Chelsea inheirited his estranged brother's estate.
(c) He never expresses any interest in the contents of her letter.
(d) When Ethel announces that her new boyfriend is a dentist.
3. What does Norman ask the phone operator to do?
(a) Norman does not speak to the operator.
(b) To call him back to check the phone's status.
(c) To call his brother at the hospital.
(d) To ring up Chelsea's cell phone.
4. How old will Elmer be on his next birthday?
5. What is another thing Charlie brought with him?
(a) An invitation from his mother.
(b) A letter from Chelsea.
(c) Two freshly-caught bass.
(d) An armful of firewood.
6. Who is coming with Chelsea on her visit?
(a) No one.
(b) Her new boyfriend.
(c) Her best friend from high school.
(d) Her two poodles.
7. How many acts does this play have?
8. Where do Norman and Ethel Thayer return for their anniversary?
(b) Boothbay Harbor.
(c) Golden Pond.
(d) Martha's Vineyard.
9. After Ethel comes into the house, what do she and Norman do?
(a) Make a cup of tea.
(b) Turn on the t.v.
(c) Make up the beds with linens.
(d) Remove the cloths from the furniture.
10. Whose boat pulls up to the dock?
(b) The police chief's.
(c) The neighbor's.
(d) No one's.
11. In the story that Ethel tells about when the character in question #26 was young, what was he carrying?
(a) A fishing pole and tackle box.
(b) A box of chocolates.
(c) Salt Water Taffy.
(d) A dozen roses.
12. Who is the person in the picture on the mantle that Norman is studying?
(a) Norman cannot remember.
(b) His deceased son.
(d) Billy Ray.
13. What separates the kitchen from the living room?
(a) A swinging door.
(b) A bead curtin.
(d) A pocket door.
14. What happens to the package in question #27?
(a) It is moldy and is thrown out.
(b) It gets wet when the delivery boy falls in the water.
(c) It is delivered to the wrong address.
(d) Nothing; the package is delivered intact.
15. What is Norman doing when Act 1, Scene 2 opens?
(a) Talking to Chelsea on the telephone.
(b) Cooking dinner.
(c) Riding his exercise bike.
(d) Reading the classified ads.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Elmer?
2. Who does Ethel invite in for coffee?
3. What does the couple watch as the scene closes?
4. What does Ethel plan to do with the berries she's picked?
5. Why does Ethel hand Norman a bucket?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)