|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Chelsea living now?
(c) New England.
2. Why has the person called?
(a) No one is on the phone.
(b) To say that she would be there by dinner.
(c) Because Norman called that person.
(d) To tell Norman that he was in the hospital.
3. What happened to Chelsea's husband?
(a) They divorced years ago.
(b) His boat was lost at sea and he was never found.
(c) He was married to another woman when he married Chelsea, so the marriage was annulled.
(d) He was killed in an airplane crash.
4. How old does Norman say he will be on his next birthday?
5. What has Ethel been doing?
(a) Painting by the lake.
(b) Picking berries.
(c) Rowing on the lake.
(d) Visiting with neighbors.
6. Who does Norman yell to to ask him/her to open the door?
(c) The cook.
(d) The maid.
7. What happened to the screen door?
(a) The screen is torn.
(b) It fell off its hinges.
(c) The spring on it popped off.
(d) Nothing; it is fine.
8. Where do Norman and Ethel Thayer return for their anniversary?
(a) Boothbay Harbor.
(b) Golden Pond.
(c) Martha's Vineyard.
9. What does the operator ask Norman?
(a) What is Chelsea's cell phone number.
(b) What is his phone number.
(c) Nothing because Norman does not talk with the operator.
(d) What is the hospital's name where is brother is a patient.
10. What is one thing Charlie brought with him?
(a) A pound cake for Norman.
(b) His collie.
(c) Pills for Norman's heart.
(d) A letter from the neighborhood association.
11. Why does Ethel hand Norman a bucket?
(a) To fix the handle.
(b) To draw some water from the well.
(c) To water the indoor plants.
(d) To go pick more berries.
12. What is Ethel's response to Charlie's offer?
(a) That Norman will take care of it.
(b) That Charlie will have to buy a patch kit at the boat shop.
(c) That the pump works well enough for their needs.
(d) That she wants to change the kitchen faucet, too.
13. Why didn't Norman pick any more berries?
(a) He thought it was unreasonable for Ethel to ask that of him.
(b) He got lost in the woods and was frightened.
(c) He couldn't find any ripe ones.
(d) He went fishing instead.
14. What does Norman ask the phone operator to do?
(a) To call his brother at the hospital.
(b) To call him back to check the phone's status.
(c) To ring up Chelsea's cell phone.
(d) Norman does not speak to the operator.
15. What separates the kitchen from the living room?
(a) A swinging door.
(b) A pocket door.
(d) A bead curtin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Miss Appley last week?
2. Who is knocking on the door?
3. Who is knocking on the door?
4. For what reason is Chelsea going to visit?
5. Instead of applying for a job, what does Ethel suggest Norman do?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)