|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Norman and Ethel Thayer return for their anniversary?
(a) Martha's Vineyard.
(b) Golden Pond.
(d) Boothbay Harbor.
2. How old does Norman say he will be on his next birthday?
3. What is Ethel's response to Charlie's offer?
(a) That the pump works well enough for their needs.
(b) That Norman will take care of it.
(c) That she wants to change the kitchen faucet, too.
(d) That Charlie will have to buy a patch kit at the boat shop.
4. What happens to the package in question #27?
(a) It is moldy and is thrown out.
(b) It gets wet when the delivery boy falls in the water.
(c) Nothing; the package is delivered intact.
(d) It is delivered to the wrong address.
5. What separates the kitchen from the living room?
(a) A bead curtin.
(c) A pocket door.
(d) A swinging door.
6. What does Ethel find intriguing about Miss Appley and Miss Tate?
(a) That they had both been asked for marriage by the same man and each in turn had said no.
(b) That they have been together for so many years and must have had a great love affair.
(c) That they are identical twins and still are impossible to tell apart.
(d) That they have lived into their 90s.
7. What is Norman doing when Act 1, Scene 2 opens?
(a) Reading the classified ads.
(b) Cooking dinner.
(c) Riding his exercise bike.
(d) Talking to Chelsea on the telephone.
8. Instead of applying for a job, what does Ethel suggest Norman do?
(a) Vacuum the house.
(b) Volunteer at the senior center.
(c) Go fishing.
(d) Go pick more berries.
9. How many acts does this play have?
10. What is one thing Charlie brought with him?
(a) His collie.
(b) A pound cake for Norman.
(c) A letter from the neighborhood association.
(d) Pills for Norman's heart.
11. Of what ethnic group does Norman seem prejudiced?
12. Who invites Ethel and Norman to dinner?
(a) No one.
(b) Chelsea and Bill.
(c) The Melciorris.
(d) The Putnams.
13. How old will Elmer be on his next birthday?
14. What does Charlie offer to do for Ethel and Norman?
(a) Fix the plumbing under the sink.
(b) Fix the small leak in the motorboat.
(c) Repair the well pump.
(d) Fix the screen door.
15. What is Norman using to aid his activity in the opening of the scene?
(a) A hearing aid.
(b) A magnifying glass.
(c) Gourmet chef's cookware.
(d) A pulse meter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Charlie's response to Ethel's suggestion?
2. What happened to Chelsea's husband?
3. How could Norman's memory best be described?
4. How many summers have Norman and Ethel Thayer been coming to this setting?
5. About what does Ethel complain?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)