|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Ethel been doing?
(a) Painting by the lake.
(b) Rowing on the lake.
(c) Picking berries.
(d) Visiting with neighbors.
2. What did Norman think about Chelsea's swimming abilities.?
(a) He thought she shouldn't be on the swim team.
(b) He criticized her abilities when she was on the swim team.
(c) He thought she was Olympic material.
(d) He was happy that she was a superb diver.
3. What does Norman ask the phone operator to do?
(a) Norman does not speak to the operator.
(b) To call him back to check the phone's status.
(c) To ring up Chelsea's cell phone.
(d) To call his brother at the hospital.
4. Who does Ethel invite in for coffee?
(a) The neighbor.
(c) The police chief.
5. What does Norman do when Ethel and Charlie are discussing Chelsea?
(a) Cleans his shotgun.
(b) Tries to interest Charlie in a discussion of baseball.
(c) Gets up and goes outside.
(d) Ties flys for fishing.
6. Of what ethnic group does Norman seem prejudiced?
7. Who is knocking on the door?
(c) The neighbor.
8. What makes Norman believe he might be qualified for the job?
(a) He has had a flower garden every year.
(b) He has owned more than 20 cars in his lifetime.
(c) He is a retired lawyer.
(d) His mother was Italian.
9. What does Ethel have in her arms?
(a) An orphaned bird.
(b) A picnic basket.
(c) A bundle of firewood.
(d) The clothes off the line.
10. Who does Ethel see in the woods?
11. Who is Elmer?
(a) The police chief.
(b) The fire chief.
(c) A doll.
(d) The caretaker.
12. What does Charlie offer to do for Ethel and Norman?
(a) Fix the plumbing under the sink.
(b) Repair the well pump.
(c) Fix the screen door.
(d) Fix the small leak in the motorboat.
13. Where are the bedrooms in this house?
(b) On the east end of the first floor.
(c) In a separate mother-in-law cabin.
(d) One big room serves as the living room and sleeping area.
14. Who is knocking on the door?
(b) Billy Ray.
(c) No one.
(d) Norman's wife.
15. Where is Chelsea living now?
(c) New England.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has visited Charlie recently?
2. What does the operator ask Norman?
3. Whose boat pulls up to the dock?
4. How many summers have Norman and Ethel Thayer been coming to this setting?
5. How old will Elmer be on his next birthday?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)