|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Chelsea and her boyfriend leave young Billy with Norman and Ethel Thayer?
(a) His camp canceled their summer program.
(b) He needs to be taught how to behave around older people.
(c) They are going to Europe.
(d) He doesn't have any grandparents so wants them to be that to him.
2. Why has the person called?
(a) Because Norman called that person.
(b) To say that she would be there by dinner.
(c) No one is on the phone.
(d) To tell Norman that he was in the hospital.
3. What does Ethel have in her arms?
(a) A bundle of firewood.
(b) A picnic basket.
(c) The clothes off the line.
(d) An orphaned bird.
4. How old does Norman say he will be on his next birthday?
5. What is Norman concerned about in going to the neighbors' house for dinner?
(a) He doesn't know whether to bring white or red wine.
(b) He has brought no dinner suit.
(c) Nothing; these are old friends of theirs.
(d) He fears they will serve some Italian dish he will not enjoy
6. What is the name of their daughter who visits them?
7. Where is Chelsea going after stopping to see her parents?
(c) To Disneyworld in Florida.
(d) The Grand Tetons.
8. Who does Norman yell to to ask him/her to open the door?
(a) The cook.
(b) The maid.
9. What happened to the screen door?
(a) Nothing; it is fine.
(b) It fell off its hinges.
(c) The screen is torn.
(d) The spring on it popped off.
10. What separates the kitchen from the living room?
(a) A swinging door.
(b) A bead curtin.
(c) A pocket door.
11. What is the job of the character Ethel meets in the woods?
(b) Mail carrier.
12. What does Ethel find intriguing about Miss Appley and Miss Tate?
(a) That they had both been asked for marriage by the same man and each in turn had said no.
(b) That they have been together for so many years and must have had a great love affair.
(c) That they are identical twins and still are impossible to tell apart.
(d) That they have lived into their 90s.
13. Where is Chelsea living now?
(b) New England.
14. What is a possible reason why Norman hasn't gone fishing?
(a) He is getting senile and fearful.
(b) His pole is at the repair shop.
(c) The bass are about fished out of this lake.
(d) The boat has a leak.
15. How old was Miss Appley on her last birthday?
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Ethel complain?
2. Who is knocking on the door?
3. How old is Norman's wife?
4. What is Ethel's response to Charlie's offer?
5. Where do Norman and Ethel Thayer return for their anniversary?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)