|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Ethel comes into the house, what do she and Norman do?
(a) Make a cup of tea.
(b) Turn on the t.v.
(c) Make up the beds with linens.
(d) Remove the cloths from the furniture.
2. What does Norman ask the phone operator to do?
(a) Norman does not speak to the operator.
(b) To call him back to check the phone's status.
(c) To call his brother at the hospital.
(d) To ring up Chelsea's cell phone.
3. What did Norman think about Chelsea's swimming abilities.?
(a) He criticized her abilities when she was on the swim team.
(b) He was happy that she was a superb diver.
(c) He thought she shouldn't be on the swim team.
(d) He thought she was Olympic material.
4. Where do Norman and Ethel Thayer return for their anniversary?
(b) Golden Pond.
(c) Martha's Vineyard.
(d) Boothbay Harbor.
5. Who is knocking on the door?
(a) Norman's wife.
(b) No one.
(c) Billy Ray.
6. What separates the kitchen from the living room?
(a) A pocket door.
(b) A swinging door.
(d) A bead curtin.
7. How old is Norman?
8. Who does Ethel see in the woods?
9. What happens to the package in question #27?
(a) Nothing; the package is delivered intact.
(b) It is moldy and is thrown out.
(c) It is delivered to the wrong address.
(d) It gets wet when the delivery boy falls in the water.
10. Where are the bedrooms in this house?
(a) On the east end of the first floor.
(b) One big room serves as the living room and sleeping area.
(d) In a separate mother-in-law cabin.
11. What does Ethel suggest Charlie do?
(a) Come by and see Chelsea while she is there.
(b) Go fishing with Norman.
(c) Stay out of the heat.
(d) Fix the boat as soon as possible.
12. What is Ethel's response to Charlie's offer?
(a) That the pump works well enough for their needs.
(b) That Charlie will have to buy a patch kit at the boat shop.
(c) That she wants to change the kitchen faucet, too.
(d) That Norman will take care of it.
13. What happens with Charlie's visitor?
(a) They criticize Charlie for his messy house and clean it.
(b) She falls in love with the police chief.
(c) He asks if Chelsea might be visiting her parents and leaves when he finds out she isn't.
(d) He gets pulled over by the police twice.
14. What does Ethel have in her arms?
(a) A picnic basket.
(b) The clothes off the line.
(c) An orphaned bird.
(d) A bundle of firewood.
15. What has Ethel been doing?
(a) Painting by the lake.
(b) Visiting with neighbors.
(c) Picking berries.
(d) Rowing on the lake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Charlie's response to Ethel's suggestion?
2. Instead of applying for a job, what does Ethel suggest Norman do?
3. Why do Chelsea and her boyfriend leave young Billy with Norman and Ethel Thayer?
4. Where is Chelsea going after stopping to see her parents?
5. Why does Ethel hand Norman a bucket?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)