|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what job does Norman contemplate applying?
(c) Guardian ad litem.
(d) Pizza delivery.
2. After Ethel comes into the house, what do she and Norman do?
(a) Remove the cloths from the furniture.
(b) Make up the beds with linens.
(c) Turn on the t.v.
(d) Make a cup of tea.
3. Where do Norman and Ethel Thayer return for their anniversary?
(a) Golden Pond.
(c) Boothbay Harbor.
(d) Martha's Vineyard.
4. Why didn't Norman pick any more berries?
(a) He went fishing instead.
(b) He got lost in the woods and was frightened.
(c) He couldn't find any ripe ones.
(d) He thought it was unreasonable for Ethel to ask that of him.
5. What does Norman do when Ethel and Charlie are discussing Chelsea?
(a) Gets up and goes outside.
(b) Ties flys for fishing.
(c) Cleans his shotgun.
(d) Tries to interest Charlie in a discussion of baseball.
6. Who is the person in the picture on the mantle that Norman is studying?
(b) His deceased son.
(c) Norman cannot remember.
(d) Billy Ray.
7. Where is Chelsea living now?
(c) New England.
8. What is Charlie's response to Ethel's suggestion?
(a) Afraid it would be boring.
(b) Certain he can fix it.
(c) He loves the summer heat.
9. Why does Ethel hand Norman a bucket?
(a) To water the indoor plants.
(b) To fix the handle.
(c) To go pick more berries.
(d) To draw some water from the well.
10. At whose picture does Norman look?
(a) Ethel and Norman's wedding photo.
(c) Billy Ray's.
(d) Chelsea and her husband's wedding photo.
11. What is the name of their daughter who visits them?
12. Why do Chelsea and her boyfriend leave young Billy with Norman and Ethel Thayer?
(a) They are going to Europe.
(b) He needs to be taught how to behave around older people.
(c) He doesn't have any grandparents so wants them to be that to him.
(d) His camp canceled their summer program.
13. What happened to Chelsea's husband?
(a) They divorced years ago.
(b) He was killed in an airplane crash.
(c) He was married to another woman when he married Chelsea, so the marriage was annulled.
(d) His boat was lost at sea and he was never found.
14. What is a possible reason why Norman hasn't gone fishing?
(a) The bass are about fished out of this lake.
(b) The boat has a leak.
(c) He is getting senile and fearful.
(d) His pole is at the repair shop.
15. What reason does Norman suggest for Elmer falling into the fireplace?
(a) He is old and clumsy.
(b) He wanted attention from Ethel.
(c) He did not fall in the fireplace; he fell down the chimney.
(d) He is attempting suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has visited Charlie recently?
2. What did Norman think about Chelsea's swimming abilities.?
3. How old will Elmer be on his next birthday?
4. What happens to the package in question #27?
5. Who is knocking on the door?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)