Act 1, Scene 1,
• The play opens in a summer home on Golden Pond in Maine in mid-May.
• Norman Thayer is shown looking around the room and then picking up the phone.
• Norman is an older gentleman of seventy-nine with glasses and the charm of a young boy.
• Norman is in good health although he has occasional bouts with senility.
• Norman asks the operator to call him back but has forgotten the phone number.
• Ethel knocks on the door and Norman finally realizes he has to answer the door.
• Ethel is a casually dressed woman of sixty-nine and has been in the woods.
• Ethel accepts a dinner invitation for that evening from some neighbors.
• Ethel encounters Charlie in the woods, who is the local postal carrier and was also a boyfriend of Chelsea's when Charlie was younger.
• Norman and Ethel discuss the local gossip and observations on the condition of...
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)