|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is known as a bitter lettuce?
2. Why does the author think one should grill thin meat?
(a) So not to overcook the exterior.
(b) So to drain it off its fatty excess.
(c) To to cook the meat right through.
(d) To burn off its dangerous bacteria.
3. On which two continents can one find yams?
(a) Europe and North America.
(b) South America and Africa.
(c) Asia and Oceania.
(d) Asia and Africa.
4. What is margarine made from?
(b) Vegetable oil.
(c) Olive oil.
(d) Animal fat.
5. What is the name of the Japanese dish which is dipped in dough and fried?
6. What type of vitamin is an egg yolk?
(a) Vitamin C.
(b) Vitamin B.
(c) Vitamin E.
(d) Vitamin A.
7. What does drying the meat prevent from growing?
(b) Ant eggs.
(d) Lactic acid.
8. What have people practiced with meat for over 4000 years?
(d) Spit roasting.
9. What continent does yogurt originate from?
10. What is the disadvantage of cooking vegetables?
(a) It discolors them.
(b) It makes them harder to preserve.
(c) It reduces their nutrient value.
(d) They don't taste so nice.
11. Which of the following is a current method of preserving meat?
12. What kind of food does Chapter Five examine?
(d) Dairy products.
13. What continent did sour cream and buttermilk originate from?
(a) South America.
(c) North America.
14. What does the bacteria in milk digest to cause fermentation?
15. What does one have to damage in cream to make butter?
(a) Protein globule membranes.
(b) Hop globule membranes.
(c) Fat globule membranes.
(d) Git globule membranes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most frequently used of the unfermented dairy products?
2. What are poached eggs usually cooked in?
3. What did Louis Pasteur invent in the 1860s?
4. What method of preparing eggs does the author not recommend?
5. How can one cook vegetables to avoid flavor loss?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)