|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the disadvantage of cooking vegetables?
(a) It makes them harder to preserve.
(b) They don't taste so nice.
(c) It discolors them.
(d) It reduces their nutrient value.
2. What is an egg's shell formed from?
(a) Whitish membrane and protein cells.
(b) Minerals and lactic acid.
(c) Bone marrow and ligaments.
(d) Calcuim carbonate and protein.
3. What did Louis Pasteur invent in the 1860s?
(a) Pasterised treatment.
(b) Heat treatment.
(c) Whipping treatment.
(d) Skimming treatment.
4. Which of the following is an example of a starchy tuber?
(a) An egg plant.
(b) A grape fruit.
(c) A tomato.
(d) A potato.
5. What kind of meat does the author suggest people should grill?
(a) Lean meat.
(b) Thick meat.
(c) Fatty meat.
(d) Thin meat.
6. What kind of fish is beheaded, gutted, salted and held at high temperatures for a month?
(c) Salted herring.
(d) Salted cod.
7. What are custards made from?
(a) Vegetable oil and whipped cream.
(b) Lard and cream.
(c) Milk and eggs.
(d) Buttermik and margarine.
8. From what kind of cream is ice cream made?
(a) Dry cream.
(b) Whipped cream.
(c) Salted cream.
(d) Sugared cream.
9. What does pickling kill in products?
10. What color is the egg once it has matured?
11. Which of the following liquids can one use to poach a fish?
12. Why does the author think meat is different than it has been in the past?
(a) It is leaner and younger.
(b) It is more tender and fattier.
(c) It is older and tougher.
(d) It has less blood content.
13. Which of the following is a current method of preserving meat?
14. What part of the egg is the most nutritious?
(a) The yolk.
(b) The white.
(c) The membrane.
(d) The shell.
15. What are poached eggs usually cooked in?
Short Answer Questions
1. What country do poke and lomi dishes originate from?
2. What method do people use to harden the liquid oil in margarine?
3. What type of vitamin is an egg yolk?
4. What family is spinach a member of?
5. Why does the author think one should grill thin meat?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)