|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is key to cooking good custards?
(a) A patient attitude.
(b) A low temperature.
(c) A high temperature.
(d) A sense of fun.
2. Why does the author think one should grill thin meat?
(a) So not to overcook the exterior.
(b) To to cook the meat right through.
(c) To burn off its dangerous bacteria.
(d) So to drain it off its fatty excess.
3. Why does the author think meat is different than it has been in the past?
(a) It is older and tougher.
(b) It has less blood content.
(c) It is leaner and younger.
(d) It is more tender and fattier.
4. What part of the lobster is most prized?
(a) The back meat.
(b) The leg meat.
(c) The claw meat.
(d) The stomach meat.
5. What is the name of the Japanese dish which is dipped in dough and fried?
6. What does the egg have to pass through to get coated in white membrane?
(a) The intestines.
(b) A vein.
(c) The kidney.
(d) An oviduct.
7. What dairy product contains several nutrients?
(a) Ice cream.
8. What did Louis Pasteur invent in the 1860s?
(a) Heat treatment.
(b) Pasterised treatment.
(c) Whipping treatment.
(d) Skimming treatment.
9. Which of the following liquids can one use to poach a fish?
10. What kind of container does canned meat have to be canned in?
(a) A dry container.
(b) A ventilated container.
(c) An airtight container.
(d) A perspiring container.
11. What have people practiced with meat for over 4000 years?
(b) Spit roasting.
12. What creates buttermilk?
(a) Slighty sweetened melted butter.
(b) Whipped cream mixed with milk.
(c) Butter mixed in with milk.
(d) The watery portion of cream.
13. What drug do farmers use on animalw to create the hormones needed for leaner meat?
14. What type of vitamin is an egg yolk?
(a) Vitamin B.
(b) Vitamin E.
(c) Vitamin C.
(d) Vitamin A.
15. Which of the following is a current method of preserving meat?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people add squash blossoms to?
2. What is the name of the bacteria in milk?
3. What are endives often mixed with to reduce their bitterness?
4. What is the second most popular vegetable in the USA?
5. What kind of fish is beheaded, gutted, salted and held at high temperatures for a month?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)