|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the chief motive for the distortion of dreams?
2. At the _____ of the two psychical apparatuses exists censorship.
3. What does the boy in Baldwin Groller's tale want?
4. Who is dead in the woman's dream about the funeral?
5. Freud's idea of the facade comes about as a result of a regard for _____ concerning dreams.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Freud defines the complexity of dream meaning in terms of the translation of real world events into the primarily visual medium of dreaming. What problems does this pose? How is symbolism involved?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Freud means by dream displacement. How does this relate to dream condensation? What is the importance of events that happen the day before the dream in illustrating the concept of dream displacement?
Essay Topic 3
Define the role of censorship in relation to dreams. What are the two parts of the psychical apparatus involved in the construction of thoughts? Why does Freud see censorship as a borderland between these two parts? What happens to the balance of power between these parts during sleep?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)