|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The second class of dreams is a _____ realization of repressed desires.
2. The first steps into the unknown territory involve a clear conception of the _____ of dreams.
3. The community of symbols is often greater than the community of _____.
4. What leads to the same conclusion concerning the lady in the theater dream?
5. An adult learns to postpone _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Freud decline to use parts of the dream about Mrs. E. L. to reveal his own repressed thoughts?
2. What is a syllogism and how does it relate to Freud's theory of dream calculations?
3. What correlate is confirmed concerning the division of the procedures of the mind?
4. When is symbolism effective in dream interpretation?
5. Why does Freud say that dream work is a special psychical process?
6. What is the difference between internal and external stimulus?
7. What type of dream that expresses a desire is invariably accompanied by a feeling of dread and why?
8. Why do children sleep through the night?
9. Why is displacement the most striking of all dream performances?
10. What is the nature of adult dreams, according to Freud?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the role of censorship in relation to dreams. What are the two parts of the psychical apparatus involved in the construction of thoughts? Why does Freud see censorship as a borderland between these two parts? What happens to the balance of power between these parts during sleep?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what Freud means by dream condensation. What example does he use to illustrate this concept? How does it do this?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the dream Freud has of Mrs. E.L. How does he analyze this dream? What conclusions about dream interpretation does he come to as a result of this analysis?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)