|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Censorship commands complete _____ when a person awakens.
2. The first steps into the unknown territory involve a clear conception of the _____ of dreams.
3. _____ is part of the foundation for the origin of many other psychological processes.
4. How do some of Freud's secret thoughts in dreams appear to him?
5. What is the name of the woman who is the friend of the woman who has the theater dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of dream that expresses a desire is invariably accompanied by a feeling of dread and why?
2. What is the nature of adult dreams, according to Freud?
3. Why does Freud decline to use parts of the dream about Mrs. E. L. to reveal his own repressed thoughts?
4. What is a syllogism and how does it relate to Freud's theory of dream calculations?
5. When is symbolism effective in dream interpretation?
6. How are forgetting and suppression related?
7. What happens when the woman from the theater dream uncovers her repressed thoughts?
8. What happens to the woman the day of the dream she has about the funeral and why is this significant??
9. How are obscure dreams formed?
10. Why do children sleep through the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Freud defines the roles of seemingly opposite occurrences in dreams. What do these seemingly opposing events often signify? What is the significance of "agreement" of ideas on dreams?
Essay Topic 2
Define the role of censorship in relation to dreams. What are the two parts of the psychical apparatus involved in the construction of thoughts? Why does Freud see censorship as a borderland between these two parts? What happens to the balance of power between these parts during sleep?
Essay Topic 3
Name and explain the three classes of dreams that Freud classifies. Who has these particular dreams? How are manifest and latent content ascribed to dreams of each class?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)