|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. An adult learns to postpone _____.
2. Freud sees it as impossible not to recognize a causal relationship between _____ and the state of repression.
3. The desires in meaningful dreams are _____.
4. What is a child full of when being put to sleep by his mother?
5. What does the symbol of a King meaning in dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Freud say that dream work is a special psychical process?
2. What correlate is confirmed concerning the division of the procedures of the mind?
3. Why does Freud decline to use parts of the dream about Mrs. E. L. to reveal his own repressed thoughts?
4. Why is displacement the most striking of all dream performances?
5. What is the nature of adult dreams, according to Freud?
6. How are obscure dreams formed?
7. What does Freud say the ability of dreams to tell the future?
8. What is the difference between internal and external stimulus?
9. What is the difference between adults and children in terms of the knowledge of reality?
10. What types of symbols exist in dreams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the importance of symbolism in dreams. How is it used in dream interpretation? How much of a dream can be analyzed this way?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of the sleep state in dreaming. What is its importance in childhood? How does it change in adulthood?
Essay Topic 3
Define the role of censorship in relation to dreams. What are the two parts of the psychical apparatus involved in the construction of thoughts? Why does Freud see censorship as a borderland between these two parts? What happens to the balance of power between these parts during sleep?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)