|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of thought can provoke the liveliest opposition in Freud?
2. What is the name of the type of reasoning Freud uses to illustrate his point regarding calculations in dreams?
3. Definite dreams with a painful content are used by some to prove the _____ of dreams.
4. Dream symbolism proves indispensable in dreams that _____.
5. Freud says that _____ believes what it wishes to believe in terms of dreams about foretelling the future.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as a result of the dreamer's lack of knowledge of symbols?
2. What happens when the woman from the theater dream uncovers her repressed thoughts?
3. What type of dream that expresses a desire is invariably accompanied by a feeling of dread and why?
4. What is the nature of adult dreams, according to Freud?
5. How do definite dreams of painful content fit into Freud's three classes of dreams according to their relationship to desire?
6. Why does Freud decline to use parts of the dream about Mrs. E. L. to reveal his own repressed thoughts?
7. Why is the boy in the story by Baldwin Groller considered a "bad boy"?
8. When is symbolism effective in dream interpretation?
9. What is the difference between internal and external stimulus?
10. Why do children sleep through the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what Freud means by dream condensation. What example does he use to illustrate this concept? How does it do this?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Freud's opinion of the meaning dreams in pre-scientific days to the meaning of dreams in his time. What was the basis of determining the meaning of dreams in pre-scientific days? How had this changed in Freud's time?
Essay Topic 3
Name and explain the three classes of dreams that Freud classifies. Who has these particular dreams? How are manifest and latent content ascribed to dreams of each class?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)