|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the symbol of a room mean?
2. What does a child want when being put to sleep by his mother?
3. What is Freud's role in the dream concerning the lady at the market?
4. What is the name of the woman who is the friend of the woman who has the theater dream?
5. Certain _____ occur in dream content when a person is asleep.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Freud say that dream work is a special psychical process?
2. What is the nature of adult dreams, according to Freud?
3. Why is displacement the most striking of all dream performances?
4. How do definite dreams of painful content fit into Freud's three classes of dreams according to their relationship to desire?
5. What is the difference between adults and children in terms of the knowledge of reality?
6. What correlate is confirmed concerning the division of the procedures of the mind?
7. Why do children sleep through the night?
8. What happens when the woman from the theater dream uncovers her repressed thoughts?
9. Why is the boy in the story by Baldwin Groller considered a "bad boy"?
10. How do speeches use the same idea as calculations in dreams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what Freud means by dream condensation. What example does he use to illustrate this concept? How does it do this?
Essay Topic 2
Define the role of censorship in relation to dreams. What are the two parts of the psychical apparatus involved in the construction of thoughts? Why does Freud see censorship as a borderland between these two parts? What happens to the balance of power between these parts during sleep?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the three classes of dreams in relation to the realization of desire. Where does repression fit in and to what degree for each category?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)