|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does some dream content that is sexual appear?
2. Definite dreams with a painful content are used by some to prove the _____ of dreams.
3. What is the miller awakened by, according to Burdach?
4. What is the mother awakened by, according to Burdach?
5. What kind of thought can provoke the liveliest opposition in Freud?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between internal and external stimulus?
2. What types of symbols exist in dreams?
3. What is the difference between adults and children in terms of the knowledge of reality?
4. Why does Freud decline to use parts of the dream about Mrs. E. L. to reveal his own repressed thoughts?
5. How do people compensate for not knowing the meaning of aspects of dreams?
6. Why is displacement the most striking of all dream performances?
7. Why do children sleep through the night?
8. What happens when the woman from the theater dream uncovers her repressed thoughts?
9. What is the nature of adult dreams, according to Freud?
10. How are forgetting and suppression related?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Freud mean by repression in dreams? What are the differences between repression in the dreams of healthy people versus those of mentally ill people? What examples does Freud use to illustrate these ideas?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Freud means by a dream facade. What makes up the dream facade? How is it used in dream analysis?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the dream Freud has of Mrs. E.L. How does he analyze this dream? What conclusions about dream interpretation does he come to as a result of this analysis?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)