|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is dead in the woman's dream about the funeral?
2. How does some dream content that is sexual appear?
3. What does the ego abandon during sleep?
4. What aspect of a dream is often suddenly forgotten upon waking?
5. Freud states that the study of dream symbolism is far from _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is displacement the most striking of all dream performances?
2. What happens to the woman the day of the dream she has about the funeral and why is this significant??
3. What is the difference between adults and children in terms of the knowledge of reality?
4. When is symbolism effective in dream interpretation?
5. What are the foundational elements of the origin of many psychological processes, and how are they observed?
6. Why does Freud decline to use parts of the dream about Mrs. E. L. to reveal his own repressed thoughts?
7. What happens when the woman from the theater dream uncovers her repressed thoughts?
8. Why is the boy in the story by Baldwin Groller considered a "bad boy"?
9. What is the difference between internal and external stimulus?
10. Why do children sleep through the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the dream Freud has of Mrs. E.L. How does he analyze this dream? What conclusions about dream interpretation does he come to as a result of this analysis?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of forgetting aspects of a dream upon waking. What does censorship have to do with this? What does repression have to do with this?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Freud means by dream displacement. How does this relate to dream condensation? What is the importance of events that happen the day before the dream in illustrating the concept of dream displacement?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)