|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What leads to the same conclusion concerning the lady in the theater dream?
2. Who is the lady in the market dream at the market with?
3. Freud sees it as impossible not to recognize a causal relationship between _____ and the state of repression.
4. What kind of thought can provoke the liveliest opposition in Freud?
5. What is a child full of when being put to sleep by his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the boy in the story by Baldwin Groller considered a "bad boy"?
2. Why does Freud decline to use parts of the dream about Mrs. E. L. to reveal his own repressed thoughts?
3. What happens as a result of the dreamer's lack of knowledge of symbols?
4. What is the nature of adult dreams, according to Freud?
5. What does Freud say the ability of dreams to tell the future?
6. Why does Freud say that dream work is a special psychical process?
7. What types of symbols exist in dreams?
8. How do people compensate for not knowing the meaning of aspects of dreams?
9. Why do children sleep through the night?
10. What are the foundational elements of the origin of many psychological processes, and how are they observed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of forgetting aspects of a dream upon waking. What does censorship have to do with this? What does repression have to do with this?
Essay Topic 2
Define the role of the ego in sleep. How does it help maintain sleep? What is the cause of contempt upon awakening?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Freud's opinion of the meaning dreams in pre-scientific days to the meaning of dreams in his time. What was the basis of determining the meaning of dreams in pre-scientific days? How had this changed in Freud's time?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)