|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When someone is presented with a language that is not understood, the person falls back on what is _____.
2. The second class of dreams is a _____ realization of repressed desires.
3. Freud states openly that there are certain thoughts Freud has about his dream of Mrs. E. L. that he doesn't want _____ to know.
4. Dream symbolism proves indispensable in dreams that _____.
5. What does the ego abandon during sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What correlate is confirmed concerning the division of the procedures of the mind?
2. What happens when the woman from the theater dream uncovers her repressed thoughts?
3. What types of symbols exist in dreams?
4. Why is displacement the most striking of all dream performances?
5. Why does Freud decline to use parts of the dream about Mrs. E. L. to reveal his own repressed thoughts?
6. What does Freud say the ability of dreams to tell the future?
7. Why is the boy in the story by Baldwin Groller considered a "bad boy"?
8. What is the difference between internal and external stimulus?
9. What is the difference between adults and children in terms of the knowledge of reality?
10. What type of dream that expresses a desire is invariably accompanied by a feeling of dread and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Freud views dream calculations. What is the nature of these calculations? What examples does he use to explain this concept?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of symbolism in dreams. How is it used in dream interpretation? How much of a dream can be analyzed this way?
Essay Topic 3
Define the role of censorship in relation to dreams. What are the two parts of the psychical apparatus involved in the construction of thoughts? Why does Freud see censorship as a borderland between these two parts? What happens to the balance of power between these parts during sleep?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)