|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The table d'hote contains _____ to the free ride in the cab.
2. What sort of master was the person who painted The Flood?
3. What is the nature of the element that Freud decides is the most direct offspring of the principal dream thought?
4. How does Freud characterize the question as to the meaning of the dream?
5. What sort of trip did the three-and-a-half-year-old girl go on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the little boy in one of Freud's examples dream of cherries?
2. What does Freud say is the nature of the dreams of children?
3. How does Freud feel that the dream's means of expression compare to that of a person's imagination?
4. What tendency does Freud say have been observed in the estimation of dreams by philosophers?
5. In Freud's dream example of the bathers, how does condensation occur?
6. What is does Freud think the role of love is in the dream of Mrs. E.L.?
7. How does Freud use psychoanalysis when he has a patient experiences morbid dread?
8. What issues come to Freud's mind regarding manifest and latent content?
9. What does Freud mean by the "common mean"?
10. What happens when there is nothing in common between dream thoughts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the three classes of dreams in relation to the realization of desire. Where does repression fit in and to what degree for each category?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of the sleep state in dreaming. What is its importance in childhood? How does it change in adulthood?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Freud defines the complexity of dream meaning in terms of the translation of real world events into the primarily visual medium of dreaming. What problems does this pose? How is symbolism involved?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)