|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps the woman out of the water in Freud's dream about the bathers?
2. What was the food that the nineteen-month-old girl got sick on?
3. The dream of Freud's own about Mrs. E.L. appears confusing and meaningless to Freud's _____.
4. What was the antique shawl that Freud gave one of his friends a charm against?
5. Where is Freud sitting with Mrs. E.L. in his dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tendency does Freud say have been observed in the estimation of dreams by philosophers?
2. What does Freud say is the nature of the dreams of children?
3. Why does the little girl in the example Freud gives dream of strawberries and eggs?
4. How does Freud feel that the dream's means of expression compare to that of a person's imagination?
5. What does Freud quote Schubert as saying about dreams and what is meant by this?
6. What are the contradictory concepts in the woman's dream about the flower stalk?
7. What is Freud's impression of the ideas about dreams that were espoused by the medical profession of his time?
8. What sort of language is expressed in dreams?
9. What are the two meanings of the word "cost" in German and how does this affect Freud's interpretation of the dream of Mrs.E. L.?
10. How do the photographs of Francis Galton relate to Freud's idea of common factors in dreams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the role of censorship in relation to dreams. What are the two parts of the psychical apparatus involved in the construction of thoughts? Why does Freud see censorship as a borderland between these two parts? What happens to the balance of power between these parts during sleep?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Freud defines the complexity of dream meaning in terms of the translation of real world events into the primarily visual medium of dreaming. What problems does this pose? How is symbolism involved?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the wish-fulfillment dreams of children and adults.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)