|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which piece of writing by Scherner and Volkelt does Freud give credit to in terms of his opinion on the ideas that philosophers of his time have on dreams?
2. What does Freud say aspects of the process of dream analysis are analogous to that of?
3. In the dream of Mrs. E. L., what is given to Freud by the main character which he desired from his wife in reality?
4. How does Freud characterize the bond between complicated nature of dreams and the difficulty expressing thoughts connected to the dream?
5. What does Mrs. E.L. comment on in Freud's dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tendency does Freud say have been observed in the estimation of dreams by philosophers?
2. What sort of language is expressed in dreams?
3. Why does the sick girl in one of Freud's examples dream of being too big for the bed she is sleeping in?
4. What does Freud quote Schubert as saying about dreams and what is meant by this?
5. When Freud is reminded of Auer's Light by the glass hat, what conclusion does he come to?
6. What is manifest content of dreams?
7. How does Freud use psychoanalysis when he has a patient experiences morbid dread?
8. What are the two meanings of the word "cost" in German and how does this affect Freud's interpretation of the dream of Mrs.E. L.?
9. What is Freud's impression of the ideas about dreams that were espoused by the medical profession of his time?
10. What happens when there is nothing in common between dream thoughts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the three tendencies Freud mentions in the interpretation of dreams. Who believes and espouses the different tendencies? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Freud's opinion of the meaning dreams in pre-scientific days to the meaning of dreams in his time. What was the basis of determining the meaning of dreams in pre-scientific days? How had this changed in Freud's time?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Freud defines the roles of seemingly opposite occurrences in dreams. What do these seemingly opposing events often signify? What is the significance of "agreement" of ideas on dreams?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)