|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which inventor does Freud compare his discoveries to?
2. What does Freud say did not accompany any aspect of the dream process in regards to his dream of Mrs. E.L.?
3. What does Mrs. E.L. comment on in Freud's dream?
4. The _____ are longer in the third category of dreams.
5. What does the doctor assure a patient he is working with that is not a possible state of mind to be in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issues come to Freud's mind regarding manifest and latent content?
2. Why does the five-year-old boy in one of Freud's examples dream of ascending the Dachstein?
3. What does Freud mean by "paradox of content"?
4. What is the role of self-criticism in relation to morbid dread?
5. What is Freud's impression of the ideas about dreams that were espoused by the medical profession of his time?
6. What does Freud say is the nature of the dreams of children?
7. What does Freud quote Schubert as saying about dreams and what is meant by this?
8. What are the contradictory concepts in the woman's dream about the flower stalk?
9. Why does the little girl in the example Freud gives dream of strawberries and eggs?
10. What is the function of the ego in dreams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the three classes of dreams in relation to the realization of desire. Where does repression fit in and to what degree for each category?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the meaning of mixed figures or composites in dreams. What elements can make up their features? What is the significance of common features in dream analysis?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Freud means by a dream facade. What makes up the dream facade? How is it used in dream analysis?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)