|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first category of dreams is classified as _____.
2. The dream treats the "either-or" scenario as _____.
3. Where does Freud say that medical writers attribute accidental occurrences that influence dreams come from?
4. What was the food that the twenty-two-month-old boy was supposed to give to his uncle?
5. What sort of master was the person who painted The Flood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is latent content of dreams?
2. What happens if the idea of dream displacement is abolished during analysis?
3. What does Freud say is the nature of the dreams of children?
4. Why does the little girl in the example Freud gives dream of strawberries and eggs?
5. What is Freud's impression of the ideas about dreams that were espoused by the medical profession of his time?
6. What does Freud quote Schubert as saying about dreams and what is meant by this?
7. What is the role of self-criticism in relation to morbid dread?
8. Why does the sick girl in one of Freud's examples dream of being too big for the bed she is sleeping in?
9. What happens when there is nothing in common between dream thoughts?
10. What are the two meanings of the word "cost" in German and how does this affect Freud's interpretation of the dream of Mrs.E. L.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of forgetting aspects of a dream upon waking. What does censorship have to do with this? What does repression have to do with this?
Essay Topic 2
Define the role of censorship in relation to dreams. What are the two parts of the psychical apparatus involved in the construction of thoughts? Why does Freud see censorship as a borderland between these two parts? What happens to the balance of power between these parts during sleep?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Freud means by a dream facade. What makes up the dream facade? How is it used in dream analysis?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)