|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does the girl that has the dream about the bed have?
2. The _____ language of the poets is thought to be important in dreams by Freud.
3. Freud tells the reader to conceive of a politician's address in _____ to understand the process that takes place in converting events into dreams.
4. The condition of the dream's _____ is a problem in the study of dreams that Freud feels needs addressing.
5. Where is Freud sitting with Mrs. E.L. in his dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the little boy in one of Freud's examples dream of cherries?
2. In Freud's dream example of the bathers, how does condensation occur?
3. What sort of language is expressed in dreams?
4. What is manifest content of dreams?
5. Why does the little girl in the example Freud gives dream of strawberries and eggs?
6. What is the function of the ego in dreams?
7. What is the role of self-criticism in relation to morbid dread?
8. What does Freud mean by "paradox of content"?
9. What does Freud mean by the "common mean"?
10. What does Freud say is the nature of the dreams of children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Freud defines the complexity of dream meaning in terms of the translation of real world events into the primarily visual medium of dreaming. What problems does this pose? How is symbolism involved?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the meaning of mixed figures or composites in dreams. What elements can make up their features? What is the significance of common features in dream analysis?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of forgetting aspects of a dream upon waking. What does censorship have to do with this? What does repression have to do with this?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)