|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nature of the element that Freud decides is the most direct offspring of the principal dream thought?
2. What sort of associations does Freud say disturb our thoughts?
3. Schubert saw dreams as a detachment of the soul from the _____.
4. The presentation of causal connections between two ideas is often reversed, beginning with deduction and ending in _____.
5. What is the name of the painting in the Cycle of Melusine that is a reference to Freud's dream of the bathers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Freud quote Schubert as saying about dreams and what is meant by this?
2. What is latent content of dreams?
3. How does Freud use psychoanalysis when he has a patient experiences morbid dread?
4. What are the contradictory concepts in the woman's dream about the flower stalk?
5. How does Freud discover the meaning of the propyl injection in one of his dreams?
6. What is Freud's impression of the ideas about dreams that were espoused by the medical profession of his time?
7. Why does the little boy in one of Freud's examples dream of cherries?
8. How does Freud feel that the dream's means of expression compare to that of a person's imagination?
9. When Freud is reminded of Auer's Light by the glass hat, what conclusion does he come to?
10. How does Freud describe the dreamer's reaction to dreams upon waking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Freud views dream calculations. What is the nature of these calculations? What examples does he use to explain this concept?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the dream Freud has of Mrs. E.L. How does he analyze this dream? What conclusions about dream interpretation does he come to as a result of this analysis?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the three classes of dreams in relation to the realization of desire. Where does repression fit in and to what degree for each category?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)