|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The second group of dreams poses the problem of being unable to reconcile their meaning with _____.
2. What elements of the brain does Freud feel the medical writers narrowly attribute the nature of dreams to?
3. The first dream thoughts which are unraveled by analysis are striking because of their _____.
4. The incongruence between a dream's _____ and the feelings they engender is a problem in the study of dreams that Freud feels needs addressing.
5. What type of reminiscences are typical of dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people compensate for not knowing the meaning of aspects of dreams?
2. How does Freud describe the dreamer's reaction to dreams upon waking?
3. How is the figure of three florins, sixty-five kreuzers reached in the woman from Vienna's dream?
4. Why does the sick girl in one of Freud's examples dream of being too big for the bed she is sleeping in?
5. Why do children sleep through the night?
6. What is latent content of dreams?
7. What happens as a result of the dreamer's lack of knowledge of symbols?
8. What does Freud mean by the "common mean"?
9. To what are linked Freud's greatest questions regarding dream interpretation?
10. What is the difference between adults and children in terms of the knowledge of reality?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the importance of symbolism in dreams. How is it used in dream interpretation? How much of a dream can be analyzed this way?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the meaning of mixed figures or composites in dreams. What elements can make up their features? What is the significance of common features in dream analysis?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Freud means by dream displacement. How does this relate to dream condensation? What is the importance of events that happen the day before the dream in illustrating the concept of dream displacement?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)