|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the painting in the Cycle of Melusine that is a reference to Freud's dream of the bathers?
2. The injection dream reminds Freud of his first visit to _____.
3. How does Freud characterize the question as to the meaning of the dream?
4. What does Mrs. E.L. comment on in Freud's dream?
5. The more _____ the dream is, the greater is the part to be attributed the impetus of displacement in its formation.
Short Essay Questions
1. What tendency does Freud say have been observed in the estimation of dreams by philosophers?
2. How does Freud use psychoanalysis when he has a patient experiences morbid dread?
3. What is Freud's impression of the ideas about dreams that were espoused by the medical profession of his time?
4. What does Freud quote Schubert as saying about dreams and what is meant by this?
5. What is manifest content of dreams?
6. How do the photographs of Francis Galton relate to Freud's idea of common factors in dreams?
7. How does Freud feel that the dream's means of expression compare to that of a person's imagination?
8. How does Freud describe the dreamer's reaction to dreams upon waking?
9. What is does Freud think the role of love is in the dream of Mrs. E.L.?
10. What does Freud say is the nature of the dreams of children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the role of censorship in relation to dreams. What are the two parts of the psychical apparatus involved in the construction of thoughts? Why does Freud see censorship as a borderland between these two parts? What happens to the balance of power between these parts during sleep?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the dream Freud has of Mrs. E.L. How does he analyze this dream? What conclusions about dream interpretation does he come to as a result of this analysis?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of symbolism in dreams. How is it used in dream interpretation? How much of a dream can be analyzed this way?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)