|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Freud say that medical writers attribute accidental occurrences that influence dreams come from?
2. Freud asks the question, can sense be made of each single dream as of other_____?
3. What illness does the girl that has the dream about the bed have?
4. What word from the dream of Mrs. E. L. has a double meaning?
5. What is the state of the psychical intensity of the dream in the relation to its sensory vividness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of language is expressed in dreams?
2. What does Freud mean by the "common mean"?
3. What is the role of self-criticism in relation to morbid dread?
4. What does Freud view as the popular view of the nature of dreams?
5. What happens when there is nothing in common between dream thoughts?
6. What does Freud say is the nature of the dreams of children?
7. What is Freud's impression of the ideas about dreams that were espoused by the medical profession of his time?
8. When Freud is reminded of Auer's Light by the glass hat, what conclusion does he come to?
9. What is the function of the ego in dreams?
10. What issues come to Freud's mind regarding manifest and latent content?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the role of censorship in relation to dreams. What are the two parts of the psychical apparatus involved in the construction of thoughts? Why does Freud see censorship as a borderland between these two parts? What happens to the balance of power between these parts during sleep?
Essay Topic 2
Name and explain the three classes of dreams that Freud classifies. Who has these particular dreams? How are manifest and latent content ascribed to dreams of each class?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the meaning of mixed figures or composites in dreams. What elements can make up their features? What is the significance of common features in dream analysis?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)