|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacks the writings of Mr. M--- in Freud's dream?
2. What does Mrs. E.L. comment on in Freud's dream?
3. The condition of the dream's _____ is a problem in the study of dreams that Freud feels needs addressing.
4. What is the salient feature of the manifest content of the dreams of children?
5. Which medical writer does Freud quote when he speaks of the medical views of his time on the nature of dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of symbols exist in dreams?
2. How does Freud feel that the dream's means of expression compare to that of a person's imagination?
3. Why does Freud decline to use parts of the dream about Mrs. E. L. to reveal his own repressed thoughts?
4. What happens as a result of the dreamer's lack of knowledge of symbols?
5. What does Freud say the ability of dreams to tell the future?
6. What is does Freud think the role of love is in the dream of Mrs. E.L.?
7. What does Freud mean by "paradox of content"?
8. What is a syllogism and how does it relate to Freud's theory of dream calculations?
9. How does Freud suggest that dreams are read?
10. What is the nature of Freud's relationship with Mrs. E.L.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and explain the three classes of dreams that Freud classifies. Who has these particular dreams? How are manifest and latent content ascribed to dreams of each class?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Freud means by dream displacement. How does this relate to dream condensation? What is the importance of events that happen the day before the dream in illustrating the concept of dream displacement?
Essay Topic 3
Define the role of the ego in sleep. How does it help maintain sleep? What is the cause of contempt upon awakening?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)