|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One medical writer characterizes dreams as a physical process that is always useless and frequently _____.
2. The dream treats the "either-or" scenario as _____.
3. Whose family photographs does Freud use as an example of common factors in a composite?
4. What elements of the brain does Freud feel the medical writers narrowly attribute the nature of dreams to?
5. Where is Freud sitting with Mrs. E.L. in his dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Freud say to look for more information on dream interpretation?
2. What types of symbols exist in dreams?
3. What does Freud mean by "paradox of content"?
4. When Freud is reminded of Auer's Light by the glass hat, what conclusion does he come to?
5. What type of dream that expresses a desire is invariably accompanied by a feeling of dread and why?
6. What does Freud mean by the "common mean"?
7. What happens if the idea of dream displacement is abolished during analysis?
8. Why does the little boy in one of Freud's examples dream of cherries?
9. Why does Freud think that dream thoughts are valuable?
10. What is Freud's impression of the ideas about dreams that were espoused by the medical profession of his time?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of forgetting aspects of a dream upon waking. What does censorship have to do with this? What does repression have to do with this?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of the sleep state in dreaming. What is its importance in childhood? How does it change in adulthood?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Freud means by a dream facade. What makes up the dream facade? How is it used in dream analysis?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)