|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Freud characterize the question as to the meaning of the dream?
2. What was painted on the antique shawl Freud gave to one of his friends?
3. What was he seeking from his wife in the incident before the dream of Mrs. E. L., in Freud's conclusion in Chapter 4?
4. The ego of Mr. M--- in Freud's dream is represented as a _____.
5. What does the doctor assure a patient he is working with that is not a possible state of mind to be in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is latent content of dreams?
2. In Freud's dream example of the bathers, how does condensation occur?
3. What does Freud say is the nature of the dreams of children?
4. What are the contradictory concepts in the woman's dream about the flower stalk?
5. What is Freud's impression of the ideas about dreams that were espoused by the medical profession of his time?
6. Why does the little boy in one of Freud's examples dream of cherries?
7. What are the two meanings of the word "cost" in German and how does this affect Freud's interpretation of the dream of Mrs.E. L.?
8. How does Freud discover the meaning of the propyl injection in one of his dreams?
9. What does Freud quote Schubert as saying about dreams and what is meant by this?
10. What is the nature of Freud's relationship with Mrs. E.L.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the dream Freud has of Mrs. E.L. How does he analyze this dream? What conclusions about dream interpretation does he come to as a result of this analysis?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what Freud means by dream condensation. What example does he use to illustrate this concept? How does it do this?
Essay Topic 3
What does Freud mean by repression in dreams? What are the differences between repression in the dreams of healthy people versus those of mentally ill people? What examples does Freud use to illustrate these ideas?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)