|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the food that the nineteen-month-old girl got sick on?
2. What sort of associations does Freud say disturb our thoughts?
3. What is the likely result of selective interweaving of the elements of a dream during the condensation process?
4. According to Freud, conversion of the latent thoughts into manifest thoughts _____.
5. The dream treats the "either-or" scenario as _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of language is expressed in dreams?
2. What is the role of self-criticism in relation to morbid dread?
3. What does Freud mean by "paradox of content"?
4. What are the two meanings of the word "cost" in German and how does this affect Freud's interpretation of the dream of Mrs.E. L.?
5. How does Freud discover the meaning of the propyl injection in one of his dreams?
6. When Freud is reminded of Auer's Light by the glass hat, what conclusion does he come to?
7. Why does the sick girl in one of Freud's examples dream of being too big for the bed she is sleeping in?
8. What happens when there is nothing in common between dream thoughts?
9. How does Freud describe the dreamer's reaction to dreams upon waking?
10. What are the contradictory concepts in the woman's dream about the flower stalk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of the sleep state in dreaming. What is its importance in childhood? How does it change in adulthood?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the meaning of mixed figures or composites in dreams. What elements can make up their features? What is the significance of common features in dream analysis?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Freud means by dream displacement. How does this relate to dream condensation? What is the importance of events that happen the day before the dream in illustrating the concept of dream displacement?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)