|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Freud say that medical writers attribute accidental occurrences that influence dreams come from?
(a) Internal organs.
(b) Drug use.
(c) Food intake.
(d) Physical abuse.
2. Freud says that many philosophers maintain that dreams have their origin in _____.
(a) Common childhood fantasies.
(b) Artistic expression.
(c) Past lives.
(d) Real spiritual excitations.
3. The presentation of causal connections between two ideas is often reversed, beginning with deduction and ending in _____.
(b) Detailed correlation.
4. What was the antique shawl that Freud gave one of his friends a charm against?
(a) The plague.
(b) Animal spirits.
(c) The Malocchio.
5. What sort of health resort was Freud at with his wife before the dream of Mrs. E. L.?
(b) New Age.
Short Answer Questions
1. The chief idea of the dream of Mrs. E. L. is the desire to enjoy a love that is _____.
2. What does Freud call the ideas encompassing the thought that dreams are worthless in their content?
3. Which inventor does Freud compare his discoveries to?
4. The injection dream reminds Freud of his first visit to _____.
5. The first dream thoughts which are unraveled by analysis are striking because of their _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Freud mean by "paradox of content"?
2. Why does the sick girl in one of Freud's examples dream of being too big for the bed she is sleeping in?
3. What is the function of the ego in dreams?
4. How does Freud feel that the dream's means of expression compare to that of a person's imagination?
5. What happens when there is nothing in common between dream thoughts?
6. How does Freud describe the dreamer's reaction to dreams upon waking?
7. How do the photographs of Francis Galton relate to Freud's idea of common factors in dreams?
8. What are the two meanings of the word "cost" in German and how does this affect Freud's interpretation of the dream of Mrs.E. L.?
9. What is does Freud think the role of love is in the dream of Mrs. E.L.?
10. In Freud's dream example of the bathers, how does condensation occur?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)