|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which mental ailment does Freud give as an example to illustrate his techniques for dream analysis?
(b) Morbid dread.
2. Schubert saw dreams as a detachment of the soul from the _____.
(a) Emotional centers.
(c) Fetters of matter.
(d) State if disease.
3. What was painted on the antique shawl Freud gave to one of his friends?
4. The incongruence between a dream's _____ and the feelings they engender is a problem in the study of dreams that Freud feels needs addressing.
5. With the rise of scientific thought, expressive mythology was transferred to _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. The chief idea of the dream of Mrs. E. L. is the desire to enjoy a love that is _____.
2. How does Freud say that dreams were regarded by pre-scientific people upon wakening in terms of manifestation of higher powers?
3. Which inventor does Freud compare his discoveries to?
4. The _____ language of the poets is thought to be important in dreams by Freud.
5. The painter in Freud's example groups all poets together for his painting of _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the function of the ego in dreams?
2. What is latent content of dreams?
3. Why does the little girl in the example Freud gives dream of strawberries and eggs?
4. What issues come to Freud's mind regarding manifest and latent content?
5. What happens if the idea of dream displacement is abolished during analysis?
6. How does Freud suggest that dreams are read?
7. What is the role of self-criticism in relation to morbid dread?
8. When Freud is reminded of Auer's Light by the glass hat, what conclusion does he come to?
9. What does Freud view as the popular view of the nature of dreams?
10. What is does Freud think the role of love is in the dream of Mrs. E.L.?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)