|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The chief idea of the dream of Mrs. E. L. is the desire to enjoy a love that is _____.
(c) Highly communicative.
2. How does Freud say that dreams were regarded by pre-scientific people upon wakening in terms of manifestation of higher powers?
(a) As instructional for the future.
(b) As friendly or hostile.
(c) As worthless.
(d) As informative.
3. Which mental ailment does Freud give as an example to illustrate his techniques for dream analysis?
(c) Morbid dread.
4. The _____ are longer in the third category of dreams.
(a) Sleep deprivation times.
(b) Narrative commentaries.
(c) Dream plots.
(d) List of family characters.
5. What does Freud say of the dream's means of expression versus those of the imagination?
(a) That they are continuous.
(b) That they are meager.
(c) That they are superior.
(d) That they are equal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sitting on the bench with Freud in the dream where he is riding in a carriage?
2. What is the salient feature of the manifest content of the dreams of children?
3. What does Freud say did not accompany any aspect of the dream process in regards to his dream of Mrs. E.L.?
4. One medical writer characterizes dreams as a physical process that is always useless and frequently _____.
5. The incongruence between a dream's _____ and the feelings they engender is a problem in the study of dreams that Freud feels needs addressing.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Freud use psychoanalysis when he has a patient experiences morbid dread?
2. What does Freud mean by "paradox of content"?
3. When Freud is reminded of Auer's Light by the glass hat, what conclusion does he come to?
4. What sort of language is expressed in dreams?
5. How does Freud suggest that dreams are read?
6. What is Freud's impression of the ideas about dreams that were espoused by the medical profession of his time?
7. How does Freud describe the dreamer's reaction to dreams upon waking?
8. How does Freud feel that the dream's means of expression compare to that of a person's imagination?
9. What are the two meanings of the word "cost" in German and how does this affect Freud's interpretation of the dream of Mrs.E. L.?
10. Why does the little girl in the example Freud gives dream of strawberries and eggs?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)