|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Freud says that many philosophers maintain that dreams have their origin in _____.
(a) Past lives.
(b) Common childhood fantasies.
(c) Artistic expression.
(d) Real spiritual excitations.
2. What does Freud characterize as witty and exaggerated in association with dream work?
(b) Rhyme schemes.
3. What is the salient feature of the manifest content of the dreams of children?
(a) Their connection with spirituality.
(b) Their connection with life of the day.
(c) Their multi-faceted views on life.
(d) Their meaningless quality.
4. What is the name of the painting in the Cycle of Melusine that is a reference to Freud's dream of the bathers?
(a) The Surprise in the Bath.
(b) The Grecian Bathers.
(c) Afternoon at the Baths.
(d) The Art of the Swim.
5. In the dream of Mrs. E. L., what is given to Freud by the main character which he desired from his wife in reality?
(a) Car keys.
(b) Undivided attention.
(c) Gold coins.
Short Answer Questions
1. The more _____ the dream is, the greater is the part to be attributed the impetus of displacement in its formation.
2. Who attacks the writings of Mr. M--- in Freud's dream?
3. Why did the father of the girl of six cut her trip short?
4. With the rise of scientific thought, expressive mythology was transferred to _____.
5. What does Freud call the girl that has the dream about the bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of self-criticism in relation to morbid dread?
2. What does Freud mean by the "common mean"?
3. How does Freud suggest that dreams are read?
4. What is latent content of dreams?
5. When Freud is reminded of Auer's Light by the glass hat, what conclusion does he come to?
6. What does Freud view as the popular view of the nature of dreams?
7. Why does the little boy in one of Freud's examples dream of cherries?
8. What are the contradictory concepts in the woman's dream about the flower stalk?
9. What is Freud's impression of the ideas about dreams that were espoused by the medical profession of his time?
10. What is the nature of Freud's relationship with Mrs. E.L.?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)