|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the attitude, according to Freud, of the medical community toward dreams?
2. Freud says that many philosophers maintain that dreams have their origin in _____.
(a) Common childhood fantasies.
(b) Artistic expression.
(c) Past lives.
(d) Real spiritual excitations.
3. One medical writer characterizes dreams as a physical process that is always useless and frequently _____.
4. How does Freud characterize the question as to the meaning of the dream?
(a) As comical.
(b) As single-minded.
(c) As reproachful.
(d) As double-sided.
5. The incongruence between a dream's _____ and the feelings they engender is a problem in the study of dreams that Freud feels needs addressing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the likely result of selective interweaving of the elements of a dream during the condensation process?
2. With the rise of scientific thought, expressive mythology was transferred to _____.
3. The ego of Mr. M--- in Freud's dream is represented as a _____.
4. Freud tells the reader to conceive of a politician's address in _____ to understand the process that takes place in converting events into dreams.
5. What is the nature of the element that Freud decides is the most direct offspring of the principal dream thought?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Freud describe the dreamer's reaction to dreams upon waking?
2. What does Freud mean by "paradox of content"?
3. What does Freud view as the popular view of the nature of dreams?
4. What is Freud's impression of the ideas about dreams that were espoused by the medical profession of his time?
5. What does Freud mean by the "common mean"?
6. What tendency does Freud say have been observed in the estimation of dreams by philosophers?
7. What sort of language is expressed in dreams?
8. What are the contradictory concepts in the woman's dream about the flower stalk?
9. What is the function of the ego in dreams?
10. Why does the sick girl in one of Freud's examples dream of being too big for the bed she is sleeping in?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)