|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which piece of writing by Scherner and Volkelt does Freud give credit to in terms of his opinion on the ideas that philosophers of his time have on dreams?
(a) "Dream Phantasies".
(b) "Frontal Lobe and Dreams".
(c) "Fascinations of the Mind".
(d) "Cranial Progressions".
2. The ego of Mr. M--- in Freud's dream is represented as a _____.
(a) Constant source of pain.
(b) General paralytic.
(c) Doer of evil.
(d) Coercive element.
3. What is the name of the painting in the Cycle of Melusine that is a reference to Freud's dream of the bathers?
(a) The Art of the Swim.
(b) The Grecian Bathers.
(c) The Surprise in the Bath.
(d) Afternoon at the Baths.
4. What illness does the girl that has the dream about the bed have?
(c) Whooping cough.
(d) Multiple sclerosis.
5. Where does Freud say that medical writers attribute accidental occurrences that influence dreams come from?
(a) Internal organs.
(b) Drug use.
(c) Physical abuse.
(d) Food intake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owes Freud a large sum of money that he relates to the dream of Mrs. E.L.?
2. What sort of master was the person who painted The Flood?
3. What hero does the boy of eight dream of?
4. In Freud's estimation, the dream about Mrs. E.L. is used as an example because it has the advantage of _____.
5. What word from the dream of Mrs. E. L. has a double meaning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Freud mean by the "common mean"?
2. How are obscure dreams formed?
3. What issues come to Freud's mind regarding manifest and latent content?
4. How does Freud feel that the dream's means of expression compare to that of a person's imagination?
5. Why is displacement the most striking of all dream performances?
6. Why does the five-year-old boy in one of Freud's examples dream of ascending the Dachstein?
7. To what are linked Freud's greatest questions regarding dream interpretation?
8. What is the nature of adult dreams, according to Freud?
9. Why does the little boy in one of Freud's examples dream of cherries?
10. What happens to the woman the day of the dream she has about the funeral and why is this significant??
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)