|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the antique shawl that Freud gave one of his friends a charm against?
(a) The plague.
(b) Animal spirits.
(d) The Malocchio.
2. According to Freud, conversion of the latent thoughts into manifest thoughts _____.
(a) Should be ignored initially.
(b) Has mystical implications.
(c) Is completely useless.
(d) Deserves close study.
3. The _____ of mixed images is often the quickest way to the interpretation of dreams.
4. Who owes Freud a large sum of money that he relates to the dream of Mrs. E.L.?
(a) An ex-girlfriend.
(b) A family member.
(c) A clergy member.
(d) A colleague.
5. What word from the dream of Mrs. E. L. has a double meaning?
6. The presentation of causal connections between two ideas is often reversed, beginning with deduction and ending in _____.
(b) Detailed correlation.
7. Where does Freud say that medical writers attribute accidental occurrences that influence dreams come from?
(a) Internal organs.
(b) Food intake.
(c) Physical abuse.
(d) Drug use.
8. The third group of dreams is categorized as _____.
9. Which medical writer does Freud quote when he speaks of the medical views of his time on the nature of dreams?
10. What is the salient feature of the manifest content of the dreams of children?
(a) Their multi-faceted views on life.
(b) Their connection with spirituality.
(c) Their connection with life of the day.
(d) Their meaningless quality.
11. In the dream of Mrs. E. L., what is given to Freud by the main character which he desired from his wife in reality?
(a) Gold coins.
(c) Undivided attention.
(d) Car keys.
12. The dream of Freud's own about Mrs. E.L. appears confusing and meaningless to Freud's _____.
(c) Decision-making process.
13. Schubert saw dreams as a detachment of the soul from the _____.
(a) Fetters of matter.
(b) Emotional centers.
(d) State if disease.
14. What was the food that the twenty-two-month-old boy was supposed to give to his uncle?
15. What is the nature of the element that Freud decides is the most direct offspring of the principal dream thought?
(a) It is obscure.
(b) It is clear.
(c) It is nonexistent.
(d) It is archetypal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which inventor does Freud compare his discoveries to?
2. What is sitting in Freud's lap during the dream where he is riding in the carriage?
3. With the rise of scientific thought, expressive mythology was transferred to _____.
4. What was painted on the antique shawl Freud gave to one of his friends?
5. From whose Cycle of Melusine does the painting that is a reference to Freud's dream of the bathers come?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)