|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owes Freud a large sum of money that he relates to the dream of Mrs. E.L.?
(a) An ex-girlfriend.
(b) A colleague.
(c) A family member.
(d) A clergy member.
2. What does Freud say did not accompany any aspect of the dream process in regards to his dream of Mrs. E.L.?
3. The dream's independence of _____ is a problem in the study of dreams that Freud feels needs addressing.
4. What does Freud say of the dream's means of expression versus those of the imagination?
(a) That they are meager.
(b) That they are equal.
(c) That they are superior.
(d) That they are continuous.
5. What sort of associations does Freud say disturb our thoughts?
6. The _____ are longer in the third category of dreams.
(a) Narrative commentaries.
(b) Sleep deprivation times.
(c) Dream plots.
(d) List of family characters.
7. Which piece of writing by Scherner and Volkelt does Freud give credit to in terms of his opinion on the ideas that philosophers of his time have on dreams?
(a) "Frontal Lobe and Dreams".
(b) "Dream Phantasies".
(c) "Fascinations of the Mind".
(d) "Cranial Progressions".
8. Dream displacement is designated as the _____ of psychical values.
9. What is the salient feature of the manifest content of the dreams of children?
(a) Their meaningless quality.
(b) Their connection with spirituality.
(c) Their multi-faceted views on life.
(d) Their connection with life of the day.
10. Where does Mrs. E.L. put her hand in Freud's dream?
(a) Over her face.
(b) On his knee.
(c) On his hand.
(d) On his head.
11. The second group of dreams poses the problem of being unable to reconcile their meaning with _____.
(a) Mental life.
(c) Mythological references.
12. The painter in Freud's example groups all poets together for his painting of _____.
13. Where is Freud sitting with Mrs. E.L. in his dream?
(a) On a sofa.
(b) Under an awning.
(c) On an over-sized armchair.
(d) At a table d'hote.
14. What is the name of the new investigative tool that Freud uses to interpret dreams?
(a) The scientific method.
(c) Shock therapy.
15. Freud has a dream about an injection of _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. The chief idea of the dream of Mrs. E. L. is the desire to enjoy a love that is _____.
2. What sort of master was the person who painted The Flood?
3. What word from the dream of Mrs. E. L. has a double meaning?
4. What does Freud call the ideas encompassing the thought that dreams are worthless in their content?
5. The third group of dreams is categorized as _____.
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)