|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from the dream of Mrs. E. L. has a double meaning?
2. The second group of dreams poses the problem of being unable to reconcile their meaning with _____.
(b) Mythological references.
(d) Mental life.
3. What does the doctor assure a patient he is working with that is not a possible state of mind to be in?
(a) A misplaced on.
(b) A hysterical one.
(c) A concentrated one.
(d) A blank one.
4. What does Freud call the girl that has the dream about the bed?
(a) A Know-it-All.
(b) Miss Little-Would-be-Big.
(c) Little Miss Muffet.
(d) Mary Quite Contrary.
5. The dream of Freud's own about Mrs. E.L. appears confusing and meaningless to Freud's _____.
(a) Decision-making process.
6. Who helps the woman out of the water in Freud's dream about the bathers?
(a) The swimming master.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Freud's mother.
(d) The owner of the bath.
7. Which inventor does Freud compare his discoveries to?
8. The thought that Freud has never had anything for nothing is _____ to Freud.
(b) A source of pride.
9. How does Freud characterize the bond between complicated nature of dreams and the difficulty expressing thoughts connected to the dream?
(a) As detached.
(b) As inconclusive.
(c) As intimate.
(d) As lacking motive.
10. Where does the girl go to stay who has the dream about the bed?
(a) To her grandfather's house.
(b) To a hospital.
(c) To a Swiss hotel.
(d) To her aunt's house.
11. Where does the boy in the Dachstein trip refuse to go?
(a) To the peak.
(b) To the waterfall.
(c) To the farm.
(d) To the bear caves.
12. Freud compares his idea of composite figures to the _____ compositions of people from the Orient.
13. One medical writer characterizes dreams as a physical process that is always useless and frequently _____.
14. The more _____ the dream is, the greater is the part to be attributed the impetus of displacement in its formation.
(a) Obscure and intricate.
(b) Languid and controlled.
(c) Varied and intense.
(d) Vivid and colorful.
15. According to Freud, conversion of the latent thoughts into manifest thoughts _____.
(a) Should be ignored initially.
(b) Has mystical implications.
(c) Deserves close study.
(d) Is completely useless.
Short Answer Questions
1. The incongruence between a dream's _____ and the feelings they engender is a problem in the study of dreams that Freud feels needs addressing.
2. What does Freud characterize as witty and exaggerated in association with dream work?
3. The injection dream reminds Freud of his first visit to _____.
4. Freud sees philosophers as _____ dreams.
5. Freud has a dream about an injection of _____.
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)