|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Freud say impairs a patient's ability to impart ideas about his obsessions?
(c) Sleep deprivation.
2. What is the name of the painting in the Cycle of Melusine that is a reference to Freud's dream of the bathers?
(a) The Surprise in the Bath.
(b) Afternoon at the Baths.
(c) The Grecian Bathers.
(d) The Art of the Swim.
3. What does Mrs. E.L. comment on in Freud's dream?
(a) His beautiful eyes.
(b) His marriage to his wife.
(c) The weather.
(d) Her finances.
4. The second group of dreams poses the problem of being unable to reconcile their meaning with _____.
(c) Mental life.
(d) Mythological references.
5. What does the doctor assure a patient he is working with that is not a possible state of mind to be in?
(a) A concentrated one.
(b) A blank one.
(c) A hysterical one.
(d) A misplaced on.
6. The _____ are longer in the third category of dreams.
(a) Dream plots.
(b) List of family characters.
(c) Sleep deprivation times.
(d) Narrative commentaries.
7. Who attacks the writings of Mr. M--- in Freud's dream?
8. The dream treats the "either-or" scenario as _____.
(a) Being mutually exclusive.
(b) Having equal rights.
(c) Having no importance.
(d) Being unimaginative.
9. The relation of the dreamer's _____ when he is awake is a problem in the study of dreams that Freud feels needs addressing.
(a) State of living.
(b) Psychical life.
(c) Physical health.
(d) Psychic awareness.
10. What does Freud call the ideas encompassing the thought that dreams are worthless in their content?
(a) Deep consequences.
(b) Accurate assumptions.
(c) Possible tenets of his philosophy.
(d) Derogatory judgments.
11. What does Freud characterize as witty and exaggerated in association with dream work?
(b) Rhyme schemes.
12. What sort of health resort was Freud at with his wife before the dream of Mrs. E. L.?
(b) New Age.
13. What is served in Freud's dream of Mrs. E.L.?
(b) Pancakes and confit.
(d) Squash blossoms.
14. What was he seeking from his wife in the incident before the dream of Mrs. E. L., in Freud's conclusion in Chapter 4?
(b) Undivided attention.
(c) Access to her dowry.
(d) A kiss.
15. What does Freud say aspects of the process of dream analysis are analogous to that of?
(d) Letter writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Freud, conversion of the latent thoughts into manifest thoughts _____.
2. What is the name of the new investigative tool that Freud uses to interpret dreams?
3. One medical writer characterizes dreams as a physical process that is always useless and frequently _____.
4. What sort of master was the person who painted The Flood?
5. The table d'hote contains _____ to the free ride in the cab.
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)