|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose family photographs does Freud use as an example of common factors in a composite?
2. The dream of Freud's own about Mrs. E.L. appears confusing and meaningless to Freud's _____.
(d) Decision-making process.
3. What does Freud say the boy of eight sees the heroes that he reads about as?
(d) Father figures.
4. Freud's mindset in the dream of Mrs. E. L. is that he would like _____.
(a) Fame and fortune.
(b) To be a bachelor.
(c) Something for nothing.
(d) A day off.
5. What is the likely result of selective interweaving of the elements of a dream during the condensation process?
(b) Karmic retribution.
(c) Ego flattening.
(d) Dreamless sleep.
6. The second group of dreams poses the problem of being unable to reconcile their meaning with _____.
(b) Mythological references.
(d) Mental life.
7. What does the patient whose sister has come to Freud for help say over and over?
(a) "Never! Never!"
(b) "Let me be!"
(c) "Hold my hand."
(d) "Nature! Nature!"
8. What was he seeking from his wife in the incident before the dream of Mrs. E. L., in Freud's conclusion in Chapter 4?
(b) Access to her dowry.
(c) A kiss.
(d) Undivided attention.
9. Freud tells the reader to conceive of a politician's address in _____ to understand the process that takes place in converting events into dreams.
(b) Two dimensions.
10. Who attacks the writings of Mr. M--- in Freud's dream?
11. Who helps the woman out of the water in Freud's dream about the bathers?
(a) Freud's mother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) The swimming master.
(d) The owner of the bath.
12. How does Freud characterize the bond between complicated nature of dreams and the difficulty expressing thoughts connected to the dream?
(a) As detached.
(b) As intimate.
(c) As inconclusive.
(d) As lacking motive.
13. What is the salient feature of the manifest content of the dreams of children?
(a) Their multi-faceted views on life.
(b) Their connection with spirituality.
(c) Their connection with life of the day.
(d) Their meaningless quality.
14. What is another word Freud uses for "condensation" in dreams?
15. The _____ of mixed images is often the quickest way to the interpretation of dreams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of health resort was Freud at with his wife before the dream of Mrs. E. L.?
2. What is the state of the psychical intensity of the dream in the relation to its sensory vividness?
3. Schubert saw dreams as a detachment of the soul from the _____.
4. How does Freud say that dreams were regarded by pre-scientific people upon wakening in terms of manifestation of higher powers?
5. What was the antique shawl that Freud gave one of his friends a charm against?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)