|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The dream's independence of _____ is a problem in the study of dreams that Freud feels needs addressing.
2. The relation of the dreamer's _____ when he is awake is a problem in the study of dreams that Freud feels needs addressing.
(a) Psychic awareness.
(b) State of living.
(c) Physical health.
(d) Psychical life.
3. What sort of associations does Freud say disturb our thoughts?
4. The second group of dreams poses the problem of being unable to reconcile their meaning with _____.
(a) Mythological references.
(c) Mental life.
5. Where does Freud say that medical writers attribute accidental occurrences that influence dreams come from?
(a) Physical abuse.
(b) Food intake.
(c) Internal organs.
(d) Drug use.
6. Freud compares his idea of composite figures to the _____ compositions of people from the Orient.
7. What is another word Freud uses for "condensation" in dreams?
8. Where does the girl go to stay who has the dream about the bed?
(a) To her aunt's house.
(b) To a hospital.
(c) To her grandfather's house.
(d) To a Swiss hotel.
9. Which medical writer does Freud quote when he speaks of the medical views of his time on the nature of dreams?
10. What does Freud say that the popular view of the interpretation of dreams is grounded in?
11. In the dream of Mrs. E. L., what is given to Freud by the main character which he desired from his wife in reality?
(a) Car keys.
(b) Gold coins.
(d) Undivided attention.
12. What type of reminiscences are typical of dreams?
(a) Elementary school.
(d) Early childhood.
13. Why did the father of the girl of six cut her trip short?
(a) Because she was sick.
(b) Because he was sick.
(c) Because it was late.
(d) Because she was hungry.
14. What does Freud say did not accompany any aspect of the dream process in regards to his dream of Mrs. E.L.?
15. The incongruence between a dream's _____ and the feelings they engender is a problem in the study of dreams that Freud feels needs addressing.
Short Answer Questions
1. The presentation of causal connections between two ideas is often reversed, beginning with deduction and ending in _____.
2. The third group of dreams is categorized as _____.
3. Freud asks the question, can sense be made of each single dream as of other_____?
4. Which mental ailment does Freud give as an example to illustrate his techniques for dream analysis?
5. Whose family photographs does Freud use as an example of common factors in a composite?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)