|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The relation of the dreamer's _____ when he is awake is a problem in the study of dreams that Freud feels needs addressing.
(a) Psychic awareness.
(b) Psychical life.
(c) State of living.
(d) Physical health.
2. Freud's mindset in the dream of Mrs. E. L. is that he would like _____.
(a) A day off.
(b) Something for nothing.
(c) Fame and fortune.
(d) To be a bachelor.
3. Which mental ailment does Freud give as an example to illustrate his techniques for dream analysis?
(c) Morbid dread.
4. The chief idea of the dream of Mrs. E. L. is the desire to enjoy a love that is _____.
(b) Highly communicative.
5. What sort of associations does Freud say disturb our thoughts?
6. What does Freud say of the dream's means of expression versus those of the imagination?
(a) That they are meager.
(b) That they are equal.
(c) That they are superior.
(d) That they are continuous.
7. Where does Freud say that medical writers attribute accidental occurrences that influence dreams come from?
(a) Food intake.
(b) Internal organs.
(c) Drug use.
(d) Physical abuse.
8. What is the name of the new investigative tool that Freud uses to interpret dreams?
(b) The scientific method.
(c) Shock therapy.
9. What does Freud call the ideas encompassing the thought that dreams are worthless in their content?
(a) Deep consequences.
(b) Derogatory judgments.
(c) Possible tenets of his philosophy.
(d) Accurate assumptions.
10. The table d'hote contains _____ to the free ride in the cab.
(a) No relation.
(b) An allusion.
(c) A caveat.
(d) Detail elements.
11. What was the antique shawl that Freud gave one of his friends a charm against?
(a) Animal spirits.
(b) The plague.
(d) The Malocchio.
12. The condition of the dream's _____ is a problem in the study of dreams that Freud feels needs addressing.
13. What is sitting in Freud's lap during the dream where he is riding in the carriage?
(a) A green coat.
(b) A velvet rope.
(c) A glass top hat.
(d) A ceramic cat.
14. Which piece of writing by Scherner and Volkelt does Freud give credit to in terms of his opinion on the ideas that philosophers of his time have on dreams?
(a) "Dream Phantasies".
(b) "Frontal Lobe and Dreams".
(c) "Cranial Progressions".
(d) "Fascinations of the Mind".
15. How does Freud say that dreams were regarded by pre-scientific people upon wakening in terms of manifestation of higher powers?
(a) As friendly or hostile.
(b) As worthless.
(c) As instructional for the future.
(d) As informative.
Short Answer Questions
1. Freud asks the question, can sense be made of each single dream as of other_____?
2. Mrs. E.L. was the daughter of a man to whom Freud _____.
3. What is the name of the painting in the Cycle of Melusine that is a reference to Freud's dream of the bathers?
4. What sort of trip did the three-and-a-half-year-old girl go on?
5. Freud has a dream about an injection of _____.
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)