|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Since the downfall of mythological hypothesis in dreams, Freud writes that interpretation of the dream has been _____.
(d) Somewhat delusional.
2. What illness does the girl that has the dream about the bed have?
(a) Whooping cough.
(c) Multiple sclerosis.
3. The chief idea of the dream of Mrs. E. L. is the desire to enjoy a love that is _____.
(d) Highly communicative.
4. What does Freud call the girl that has the dream about the bed?
(a) Mary Quite Contrary.
(b) A Know-it-All.
(c) Little Miss Muffet.
(d) Miss Little-Would-be-Big.
5. The presentation of causal connections between two ideas is often reversed, beginning with deduction and ending in _____.
(c) Detailed correlation.
6. How does Freud characterize the bond between complicated nature of dreams and the difficulty expressing thoughts connected to the dream?
(a) As intimate.
(b) As lacking motive.
(c) As inconclusive.
(d) As detached.
7. What does Freud say of the dream's means of expression versus those of the imagination?
(a) That they are continuous.
(b) That they are equal.
(c) That they are superior.
(d) That they are meager.
8. The dream's independence of _____ is a problem in the study of dreams that Freud feels needs addressing.
9. The first dream thoughts which are unraveled by analysis are striking because of their _____.
(a) Unusual wording.
(b) Depnedence on color.
(c) Dependence on action.
(d) Predictable plot.
10. What type of reminiscences are typical of dreams?
(b) Early childhood.
(d) Elementary school.
11. Who helps the woman out of the water in Freud's dream about the bathers?
(a) Freud's mother.
(b) The owner of the bath.
(c) Her mother.
(d) The swimming master.
12. What is the likely result of selective interweaving of the elements of a dream during the condensation process?
(b) Karmic retribution.
(c) Ego flattening.
(d) Dreamless sleep.
13. Where does Mrs. E.L. put her hand in Freud's dream?
(a) Over her face.
(b) On his knee.
(c) On his hand.
(d) On his head.
14. Which piece of writing by Scherner and Volkelt does Freud give credit to in terms of his opinion on the ideas that philosophers of his time have on dreams?
(a) "Fascinations of the Mind".
(b) "Frontal Lobe and Dreams".
(c) "Cranial Progressions".
(d) "Dream Phantasies".
15. According to Freud, conversion of the latent thoughts into manifest thoughts _____.
(a) Is completely useless.
(b) Should be ignored initially.
(c) Has mystical implications.
(d) Deserves close study.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which medical writer does Freud quote when he speaks of the medical views of his time on the nature of dreams?
2. What does Freud say impairs a patient's ability to impart ideas about his obsessions?
3. What is the attitude, according to Freud, of the medical community toward dreams?
4. What sort of trip did the three-and-a-half-year-old girl go on?
5. What does Freud call the ideas encompassing the thought that dreams are worthless in their content?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)