|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 (pp. 59-61).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The dream's independence of _____ is a problem in the study of dreams that Freud feels needs addressing.
2. What other phrase does Freud use for the state of repression?
(a) Inaccuracy of consciousness.
(b) Incapacity of consciousness.
(c) Covert denial.
(d) Overt denial.
3. Which mental ailment does Freud give as an example to illustrate his techniques for dream analysis?
(b) Morbid dread.
4. Freud says that many philosophers maintain that dreams have their origin in _____.
(a) Artistic expression.
(b) Past lives.
(c) Real spiritual excitations.
(d) Common childhood fantasies.
5. Who helps the woman out of the water in Freud's dream about the bathers?
(a) The owner of the bath.
(b) Freud's mother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) The swimming master.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do some of Freud's secret thoughts in dreams appear to him?
2. What is the nature of the element that Freud decides is the most direct offspring of the principal dream thought?
3. What kind of thought can provoke the liveliest opposition in Freud?
4. What is Freud's role in the dream concerning the lady at the market?
5. Schubert saw dreams as a detachment of the soul from the _____.
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)