|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the farmer saw the man on the road, how did Mamet refer to this beat?
(a) Selling the animal.
(b) Gaining a foothold.
(c) Gaining respect.
(d) Capitalizing on a golden opportunity.
2. According to Mamet, what is one of the imperative questions to ask in the beginning of the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
(b) Why not?
(d) Why now?
3. According to Mamet at the end of Chapter 5, "Anybody with a _____ can take a picture of a 'pig.'"
4. According to Mamet, "In film or in the street, people who describe themselves to you are" what?
(b) Playing a role.
(c) Trying to get something.
(d) Being honest.
5. Mamet says that the perfect movie doesn't have any what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which chapter did Mamet recommend the students read in, A Practical Handbook for the Actor?
2. Who does Mamet say wove flaws into their blankets to let the devil out?
3. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, it is the pursuit of what that is important?
4. Mamet says the reason we like those old-time movie stars so much is that they are what?
5. According to Mamet in Chapter 5, what is the perfect movie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mamet suggest directors should strive for in terms of film dialogue in movies, in Chapter 4?
2. What did Mamet caution against with having multiple motivations for the farmer in Chapter 5?
3. What does Mamet say regarding the training of film actors in today's world?
4. What are modern film actors lacking in their education of storytelling, according to Mamet?
5. What is the appropriate response to the actor who asks "how do I walk down the hall", in the example in Chapter 4?
6. What did Mamet suggest to the new director regarding animated films, in Chapter 5?
7. What does Mamet say to give yourself over to in directing, in Chapter 5?
8. What is the hierarchy of film? Why did Mamet suggest the actor cannot be a fallback for the film in Chapter 6?
9. What example did Mamet give of Humphrey Bogart's simplicity, in Chapter 4?
10. What did Mamet write in Chapter 4 of the director's instructions to the actor?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)