|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mamet say that dramatic analysis is like in Chapter 6?
(a) Literary analysis.
(b) Plotting a compass course.
(c) Solving a math equation.
(d) Critical thinking.
2. What did the farmer do in Mamet's version of the ending in Chapter 5?
(a) Sold the pig.
(b) Bought feed for the pig.
(c) Sold the goat.
(d) Bought a second pig.
3. What was the impetus for the beginning of Citizen Kane?
(a) The discovery of the sled.
(b) The inheritance.
(c) The death of Charles Foster Kane.
(d) The plague.
4. According to Mamet, most actors in film and stage today are what?
(a) Badly trained.
(b) Well trained.
(c) Too edgy.
(d) Too self-absorbed.
5. What actress did Mamet mention in the footnotes of Chapter 5 as an actress who could truly act?
(a) Donna Reed.
(b) Meryl Streep.
(c) Mary Astor.
(d) Susan Sarandon.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mamet, what is one of the imperative questions to ask in the beginning of the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
2. What is the subheading of Chapter 4?
3. Mamet says the reason we like those old-time movie stars so much is that they are what?
4. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, the Stoics would advise adhering to the metaphor which relates to what?
5. According to Mamet, "In film or in the street, people who describe themselves to you are" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Mamet's reply to the question, "Is it possible to do everything "right" and still make a bad movie?"
2. What did Mamet write in Chapter 4 of the director's instructions to the actor?
3. What example did Mamet give of Humphrey Bogart's simplicity, in Chapter 4?
4. What does Mamet say regarding the training of film actors in today's world?
5. Who did the farmer meet in the hypothetical film in Chapter 5? How did this interaction play out?
6. What decision did Mamet suggest is in the hands of the director, in Chapter 6?
7. What did Mamet suggest directors should strive for in terms of film dialogue in movies, in Chapter 4?
8. What did Mamet suggest to the new director regarding animated films, in Chapter 5?
9. What scenario did Mamet present for the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
10. What is the appropriate response to the actor who asks "how do I walk down the hall", in the example in Chapter 4?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)