|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the impetus for the beginning of Citizen Kane?
(a) The plague.
(b) The death of Charles Foster Kane.
(c) The inheritance.
(d) The discovery of the sled.
2. The only reason characters speak is what?
(a) To express exposition.
(b) To tell a story.
(c) To get what they want.
(d) To narrate.
3. The study of what is very useful for directors, according to Mamet?
4. Mamet says that when he was young, actors spent how many years on stage earning a living by the time they were thirty?
5. Mamet says that if you are telling the story with pictures, the dialogue is the sprinkles on the what?
(a) Ice cream cone.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, the task is always the same. Stick with it until you _____.
2. What was the man doing on the side of the road whom the farmer met in Chapter 5?
3. Who directed Casablanca?
4. The two essential elements of story, according to Aristotle, are surprise and what?
5. Mamet says that it's not the actor's job to be emotional. It's the actor's job to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the appropriate response to the actor who asks "how do I walk down the hall", in the example in Chapter 4?
2. What suggestions did the students give for the motivation of the protagonist in Chapter 5's scenario?
3. What can the director not make up for in the editing room, according to Mamet in Chapter 6?
4. What is the Cult of Self which Mamet refers to in Chapter 6?
5. What animated film did Mamet laud as perfect in Chapter 5?
6. Who did the farmer meet in the hypothetical film in Chapter 5? How did this interaction play out?
7. In the hypothetical film from Chapters 3 and 4, what would Mamet suggest as direction to the protagonist?
8. How does the hypothetical film end in Chapter 5?
9. What analogy did Mamet give that involves Stanislavsky, in Chapter 6?
10. What does Mamet say regarding subconscious response in Chapter 4?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)