|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mamet in Chapter 5, having two reasons for an act are the same as having how many reasons?
2. What, in approaching the task of film, do we not have to do all at once, in Mamet's analogy in Chapter 6?
(a) Swim the ocean.
(b) Build the house in a day.
(c) Float a river.
(d) Climb the whole mountain.
3. What does Mamet say is useless filler in film, and the giveaway to a joke's punch line, in Chapter 5?
4. Which story of the farmer's did the class decide to go with in Chapter 5?
(a) Saving the child.
(b) Getting rid of danger.
(c) Having no money.
(d) Getting money for food.
5. According to Mamet, under conditions of great stress, you have to know your what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the impetus for the beginning of Citizen Kane?
2. Mamet says that if you are telling the story with pictures, the dialogue is the sprinkles on the what?
3. What does Mamet say is the superobjective of the hero in Chapter 6?
4. When the farmer saw the man on the road, how did Mamet refer to this beat?
5. According to Mamet, most actors in film and stage today are what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Cult of Self which Mamet refers to in Chapter 6?
2. What example did Mamet give of Humphrey Bogart's simplicity, in Chapter 4?
3. How did Mamet describe dealing with dialogue in Chapter 4?
4. What did Mamet suggest directors should strive for in terms of film dialogue in movies, in Chapter 4?
5. What metaphor did Mamet use to illustrate the work in pre-production, in Chapter 6?
6. What is the hierarchy of film? Why did Mamet suggest the actor cannot be a fallback for the film in Chapter 6?
7. What storytelling genres did Mamet suggest the director study in Chapter 5?
8. What does Mamet say regarding subconscious response in Chapter 4?
9. What is the appropriate response to the actor who asks "how do I walk down the hall", in the example in Chapter 4?
10. What does Mamet say regarding the training of film actors in today's world?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)