|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mamet in Chapter 5, what is the perfect movie?
(b) It's a Wonderful Life.
(d) Breakfast at Tiffany's.
2. Using the example the class previously created, in Chapter 4, what is the meaning of the beat?
(a) To gain respect.
(b) To prepare.
(c) To arrive early.
(d) To get a retraction.
3. What was the impetus for the beginning of Citizen Kane?
(a) The death of Charles Foster Kane.
(b) The inheritance.
(c) The discovery of the sled.
(d) The plague.
4. Oedipus is the model of all tragedy, according to whom?
5. According to Mamet in Chapter 4, "If you don't know what you want, how can you know when _____?"
(a) To edit.
(b) To stop.
(c) You're done.
(d) To begin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the pig do in the ending of the story in Chapter 5?
2. What can you not rely on on to make the film more interesting, according to Mamet in Chapter 6?
3. The only reason characters speak is what?
4. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, we would like to learn a technique of directing and analyzing as concrete as that of a what?
5. Mamet recommended the book A Practical Handbook for the Actor, written by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mamet describe dealing with dialogue in Chapter 4?
2. In the hypothetical film from Chapters 3 and 4, what would Mamet suggest as direction to the protagonist?
3. What scenario did Mamet present for the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
4. What is the appropriate response to the actor who asks "how do I walk down the hall", in the example in Chapter 4?
5. What does Mamet say regarding subconscious response in Chapter 4?
6. What analogy did Mamet give that involves Stanislavsky, in Chapter 6?
7. What suggestions did the students give for the motivation of the protagonist in Chapter 5's scenario?
8. What has the hypothetical film evolved to in terms of danger in Chapter 5?
9. What did Mamet write in Chapter 4 of the director's instructions to the actor?
10. What decision did Mamet suggest is in the hands of the director, in Chapter 6?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)