|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the farmer saw the man on the road, how did Mamet refer to this beat?
(a) Capitalizing on a golden opportunity.
(b) Selling the animal.
(c) Gaining a foothold.
(d) Gaining respect.
2. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, the Stoics would advise adhering to the metaphor which relates to what?
(b) Going into battle.
(c) Selling a calf.
(d) Going on a journey.
3. What actress did Mamet mention in the footnotes of Chapter 5 as an actress who could truly act?
(a) Susan Sarandon.
(b) Donna Reed.
(c) Mary Astor.
(d) Meryl Streep.
4. What does Mamet say "are all you have" in Chapter 6?
(a) The actors.
(b) The shots.
(c) The scene.
(d) The cuts.
5. Mamet says that the greatest lesson in acting is to perform the physical motions of the script, how?
(a) As succinctly as possible.
(b) As exact as possible.
(c) As elaborately as possible.
(d) As simply as possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. After shooting which take do you not even remember why you were born?
2. Who does Mamet say wove flaws into their blankets to let the devil out?
3. Once the story has found an ending, Mamet says you can look back over the shot list and answer what question?
4. According to Mamet, most actors in film and stage today are what?
5. What does Mamet say that he defies anyone to act in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Cult of Self which Mamet refers to in Chapter 6?
2. What did Mamet caution against with having multiple motivations for the farmer in Chapter 5?
3. How does the hypothetical film end in Chapter 5?
4. What storytelling genres did Mamet suggest the director study in Chapter 5?
5. In the hypothetical film from Chapters 3 and 4, what would Mamet suggest as direction to the protagonist?
6. What suggestions did the students give for the motivation of the protagonist in Chapter 5's scenario?
7. What animated film did Mamet laud as perfect in Chapter 5?
8. Who did the farmer meet in the hypothetical film in Chapter 5? How did this interaction play out?
9. What example did Mamet give of Humphrey Bogart's simplicity, in Chapter 4?
10. How does Aristotle's theory of tragedy relate to the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)