|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The only reason characters speak is what?
(a) To get what they want.
(b) To narrate.
(c) To express exposition.
(d) To tell a story.
2. Mamet made the analogy in Chapter 4, "if the house is going to stand, the nail must do the work of ____."
(a) A beam.
(b) A hammer.
(c) A nail.
(d) A slat.
3. What did the farmer do in Mamet's version of the ending in Chapter 5?
(a) Sold the goat.
(b) Sold the pig.
(c) Bought feed for the pig.
(d) Bought a second pig.
4. Mamet says in Chapter 4 that a lot of the decisions you think are going to be arbitrary are arrived at through the what?
5. What was the man doing on the side of the road whom the farmer met in Chapter 5?
(a) Catching a chicken.
(b) Catching a pig.
(c) Fixing a wheel.
(d) Cutting his lawn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the book of pictures of shots of a film called?
2. The study of what is very useful for directors, according to Mamet?
3. Mamet says of film directing and screenwriting that they are what?
4. Mamet recommended the book A Practical Handbook for the Actor, written by whom?
5. What does Mamet say that dramatic analysis is like in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Mamet's reply to the question, "Is it possible to do everything "right" and still make a bad movie?"
2. What are modern film actors lacking in their education of storytelling, according to Mamet?
3. In the hypothetical film from Chapters 3 and 4, what would Mamet suggest as direction to the protagonist?
4. How does the hypothetical film end in Chapter 5?
5. What does Mamet say regarding the training of film actors in today's world?
6. What is the Cult of Self which Mamet refers to in Chapter 6?
7. What is the hierarchy of film? Why did Mamet suggest the actor cannot be a fallback for the film in Chapter 6?
8. What can the director not make up for in the editing room, according to Mamet in Chapter 6?
9. What did Mamet caution against with having multiple motivations for the farmer in Chapter 5?
10. What animated film did Mamet laud as perfect in Chapter 5?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)