|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the pig do in the ending of the story in Chapter 5?
(a) Ran away.
(b) Attacked the farmer.
(d) Rode the girl on his back.
2. The rule of circularity says not to do what?
(a) Repeat the beginning.
(b) The same thing twice.
(c) Repeat the objective.
(d) Repeat the narration.
3. What actress did Mamet mention in the footnotes of Chapter 5 as an actress who could truly act?
(a) Donna Reed.
(b) Meryl Streep.
(c) Susan Sarandon.
(d) Mary Astor.
4. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, if you persevere, then what method of thinking will become easier for you?
5. When the farmer saw the man on the road, how did Mamet refer to this beat?
(a) Capitalizing on a golden opportunity.
(b) Gaining a foothold.
(c) Gaining respect.
(d) Selling the animal.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, the hypothetical film Mamet worked on with the students involved a farmer selling what?
2. Which chapter did Mamet recommend the students read in, A Practical Handbook for the Actor?
3. Mamet says in Chapter 4 that a lot of the decisions you think are going to be arbitrary are arrived at through the what?
4. What do you refer to when giving direction to the actor or the cameraman?
5. Mamet recommended the book A Practical Handbook for the Actor, written by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision did Mamet suggest is in the hands of the director, in Chapter 6?
2. What is the appropriate response to the actor who asks "how do I walk down the hall", in the example in Chapter 4?
3. How did Mamet relate film direction and screenwriting in Chapter 6?
4. In the hypothetical film from Chapters 3 and 4, what would Mamet suggest as direction to the protagonist?
5. What did Mamet suggest to the new director regarding animated films, in Chapter 5?
6. What was Mamet's reply to the question, "Is it possible to do everything "right" and still make a bad movie?"
7. How did Mamet describe dealing with dialogue in Chapter 4?
8. Who did the farmer meet in the hypothetical film in Chapter 5? How did this interaction play out?
9. What suggestions did the students give for the motivation of the protagonist in Chapter 5's scenario?
10. How does Aristotle's theory of tragedy relate to the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)