|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the man doing on the side of the road whom the farmer met in Chapter 5?
(a) Fixing a wheel.
(b) Catching a pig.
(c) Catching a chicken.
(d) Cutting his lawn.
2. The purpose of rehearsal is to tell the actors, beat by beat, what?
(a) The characterization.
(b) The objectives.
(c) The actions called for.
(d) The emotions needed.
3. What, according to Mamet, is the answer to, "Where do we put the camera?"
(a) On the floor.
(b) In an interesting angle.
(c) Over there.
4. Where was Stanislavsky having dinner with a steamboat captain, according to Mamet in Chapter 6?
(a) The Volga River.
(b) The Atlantic Ocean.
(c) The Thames River.
(d) The Indian Ocean.
5. According to Mamet, what actor did he laud for his simplicity in a scene which involved the Nazis, in Chapter 4?
(a) Clifton Hayes.
(b) Carey Grant.
(c) Humphrey Bogart.
(d) James Stewart.
Short Answer Questions
1. After shooting which take do you not even remember why you were born?
2. What was the impetus for the beginning of Citizen Kane?
3. What did the pig do in the ending of the story in Chapter 5?
4. After how many takes does Mamet say you can no longer remember what the scene was about, in Chapter 4?
5. What do actors erroneously try to use their intellectuality to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the hierarchy of film? Why did Mamet suggest the actor cannot be a fallback for the film in Chapter 6?
2. What did Mamet caution against with having multiple motivations for the farmer in Chapter 5?
3. What did Mamet suggest directors should strive for in terms of film dialogue in movies, in Chapter 4?
4. What is the Cult of Self which Mamet refers to in Chapter 6?
5. In the hypothetical film from Chapters 3 and 4, what would Mamet suggest as direction to the protagonist?
6. What metaphor did Mamet use to illustrate the work in pre-production, in Chapter 6?
7. What are modern film actors lacking in their education of storytelling, according to Mamet?
8. What is the appropriate response to the actor who asks "how do I walk down the hall", in the example in Chapter 4?
9. What storytelling genres did Mamet suggest the director study in Chapter 5?
10. What animated film did Mamet laud as perfect in Chapter 5?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)