|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Stanislavsky ask the steamboat captain, according to Mamet in Chapter 6?
(a) How he didn't get lost.
(b) How he steered the boat safely.
(c) How he maintained a living.
(d) How he kept from getting seasick.
2. Mamet says in Chapter 4 that a lot of the decisions you think are going to be arbitrary are arrived at through the what?
3. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, the task is always the same. Stick with it until you _____.
(a) Discover the scene's meaning.
(b) Solve it.
(c) Find an answer.
(d) Work it out with the crew.
4. What is Dumbo's problem, according to Mamet?
(a) He lost his feather.
(b) He has big ears.
(c) He can't fly.
(d) He has low self-esteem.
5. What was the reason for the beginning of Oedipus Rex?
(a) The plague.
(b) The onset of war.
(c) Oedipus' father dying.
(d) Oedipus' mother dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the man doing on the side of the road whom the farmer met in Chapter 5?
2. Mamet says that it's not the actor's job to be emotional. It's the actor's job to be what?
3. What, in Mamet's analogy in Chapter 6, are the marker buoys?
4. Mamet made the analogy in Chapter 4, "if the house is going to stand, the nail must do the work of ____."
5. What was the last beat about in the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did the farmer meet in the hypothetical film in Chapter 5? How did this interaction play out?
2. What did Mamet write about the Navaho Indians in Chapter 6?
3. What has the hypothetical film evolved to in terms of danger in Chapter 5?
4. What did Mamet write in Chapter 4 of the director's instructions to the actor?
5. What does Mamet say regarding subconscious response in Chapter 4?
6. What storytelling genres did Mamet suggest the director study in Chapter 5?
7. What is the appropriate response to the actor who asks "how do I walk down the hall", in the example in Chapter 4?
8. What is the Cult of Self which Mamet refers to in Chapter 6?
9. What was Mamet's reply to the question, "Is it possible to do everything "right" and still make a bad movie?"
10. What did Mamet suggest directors should strive for in terms of film dialogue in movies, in Chapter 4?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)