|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mamet, under conditions of great stress, you have to know your what?
2. After shooting which take do you not even remember why you were born?
3. According to Mamet, what actor did he laud for his simplicity in a scene which involved the Nazis, in Chapter 4?
(a) Clifton Hayes.
(b) James Stewart.
(c) Carey Grant.
(d) Humphrey Bogart.
4. What was the reason for the beginning of Oedipus Rex?
(a) Oedipus' mother dying.
(b) The onset of war.
(c) Oedipus' father dying.
(d) The plague.
5. According to Mamet, what is one of the imperative questions to ask in the beginning of the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
(a) Why now?
(c) Why not?
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in approaching the task of film, do we not have to do all at once, in Mamet's analogy in Chapter 6?
2. Mamet says that when he was young, actors spent how many years on stage earning a living by the time they were thirty?
3. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, we would like to learn a technique of directing and analyzing as concrete as that of a what?
4. Mamet says in Chapter 4 that movies are made out of what?
5. What, in Mamet's analogy in Chapter 6, are the marker buoys?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Cult of Self which Mamet refers to in Chapter 6?
2. What did Mamet write about the Navaho Indians in Chapter 6?
3. How does the hypothetical film end in Chapter 5?
4. How did Mamet relate film direction and screenwriting in Chapter 6?
5. What did Mamet suggest directors should strive for in terms of film dialogue in movies, in Chapter 4?
6. What can the director not make up for in the editing room, according to Mamet in Chapter 6?
7. What does Mamet say regarding subconscious response in Chapter 4?
8. What was Mamet's reply to the question, "Is it possible to do everything "right" and still make a bad movie?"
9. What does Mamet say to give yourself over to in directing, in Chapter 5?
10. Who did the farmer meet in the hypothetical film in Chapter 5? How did this interaction play out?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)