|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mamet says the reason we like those old-time movie stars so much is that they are what?
2. What, according to Mamet, is the answer to, "Where do we put the camera?"
(a) In an interesting angle.
(b) Over there.
(c) On the floor.
3. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, the Stoics would advise adhering to the metaphor which relates to what?
(a) Selling a calf.
(b) Going into battle.
(c) Going on a journey.
4. What did the farmer do in Mamet's version of the ending in Chapter 5?
(a) Sold the goat.
(b) Bought feed for the pig.
(c) Bought a second pig.
(d) Sold the pig.
5. After how many takes does Mamet say you can no longer remember what the scene was about, in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mamet in Chapter 5, why did Oedipus have to find out who his parents were?
2. What was the reason for the beginning of Oedipus Rex?
3. What does Mamet say that he defies anyone to act in Chapter 4?
4. Mamet says that when he was young, actors spent how many years on stage earning a living by the time they were thirty?
5. What does Mamet say is the superobjective of the hero in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mamet say to give yourself over to in directing, in Chapter 5?
2. What was Mamet's response to "performance art" questions which arise in shooting?
3. How did Mamet relate film direction and screenwriting in Chapter 6?
4. What example did Mamet give of Humphrey Bogart's simplicity, in Chapter 4?
5. In the hypothetical film from Chapters 3 and 4, what would Mamet suggest as direction to the protagonist?
6. What did Mamet write in Chapter 4 of the director's instructions to the actor?
7. What is the hierarchy of film? Why did Mamet suggest the actor cannot be a fallback for the film in Chapter 6?
8. What was Mamet's reply to the question, "Is it possible to do everything "right" and still make a bad movie?"
9. What does Mamet say regarding the training of film actors in today's world?
10. What animated film did Mamet laud as perfect in Chapter 5?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)