|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The study of what is very useful for directors, according to Mamet?
2. Mamet says in Chapter 4 that movies are made out of what?
(a) Elaborate stories.
(b) Heroic struggles.
(c) Epic dramas.
(d) Very simple ideas.
3. What was the reason for the beginning of Oedipus Rex?
(a) The plague.
(b) The onset of war.
(c) Oedipus' father dying.
(d) Oedipus' mother dying.
4. According to Mamet in Chapter 5, having two reasons for an act are the same as having how many reasons?
5. Mamet says of film directing and screenwriting that they are what?
(a) The same trade.
(b) Exact sciences.
(c) Very different.
Short Answer Questions
1. The purpose of rehearsal is to tell the actors, beat by beat, what?
2. Which chapter did Mamet recommend the students read in, A Practical Handbook for the Actor?
3. What was the man doing on the side of the road whom the farmer met in Chapter 5?
4. What was the last beat about in the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
5. Once the story has found an ending, Mamet says you can look back over the shot list and answer what question?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Mamet's response to "performance art" questions which arise in shooting?
2. What storytelling genres did Mamet suggest the director study in Chapter 5?
3. What scenario did Mamet present for the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
4. What does Mamet say to give yourself over to in directing, in Chapter 5?
5. What is the appropriate response to the actor who asks "how do I walk down the hall", in the example in Chapter 4?
6. What was Mamet's reply to the question, "Is it possible to do everything "right" and still make a bad movie?"
7. What are modern film actors lacking in their education of storytelling, according to Mamet?
8. What metaphor did Mamet use to illustrate the work in pre-production, in Chapter 6?
9. What did Mamet suggest to the new director regarding animated films, in Chapter 5?
10. What analogy did Mamet give that involves Stanislavsky, in Chapter 6?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)