|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sometimes, Mamet says in Chapter 3, the piece (film) will do what?
(a) Work with you.
(b) Create impediments.
(c) Create roadblocks.
(d) Fight back against you.
2. How many films had David Mamet directed at the time that the book was written?
3. Eisenstein claimed that the best image is a what image?
4. The newspaper reviewer criticized an author for attempting screenwriting because he was nearly what?
5. What does Mamet say most modern art is based around?
(a) Political reasons.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, he challenges the way people talk about any performance artist and the way they talk about whom?
2. The smallest unit is the shot; the largest unit is what?
3. Whose method relies on a succession of images juxtaposed so that the contrast moves the story forward?
4. Who said, "Write the story, take out all the good lines, and see if it still works"?
5. What was the third beat about in the hypothetical film in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mamet write in Chapter 3 regarding film with political agendas?
2. What writers and filmmakers did Mamet refer to in the Preface and Chapter 1 regarding screenwriting and film direction?
3. How did Mamet describe Eisenstein's theory of montage?
4. What did Mamet think of the steadicam?
5. What does Mamet say in terms of withholding information from the audience, in Chapter 2?
6. What is the backdrop of On Directing Film? From what setting did the author base the text?
7. What did Mamet write about drama school and film school in Chapter 1?
8. How did Mamet describe film in terms of syllogism in Chapter 3?
9. What did Mamet write in Chapter 1 regarding character description and narration?
10. Describe Mamet's discussion of understanding precipitation in architecture in Chapter 3.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)