|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The purpose of technique is to free the what?
(b) Conscious mind.
(c) Dream life.
2. What does Mamet say happens when the problem posited by the scene is over?
(a) The film is over.
(b) The objective is attained.
(c) The next scene begins.
(d) The scene is over.
3. According to Mamet, the director is seen as what kind of extension of the screenwriter?
4. What is the rule which Mamet says means "Keep it simple, stupid"?
(a) KISS rule.
(b) Film rule.
(c) Shooting rule.
(d) Idiot rule.
5. In the scene generated for the class in Chapter 2, what did the protagonist want?
(a) To sell a pig.
(c) The students' respect.
(d) The teacher's respect.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose method relies on a succession of images juxtaposed so that the contrast moves the story forward?
2. What is the main shot of any given scene?
3. Who did Mamet cite in saying that we needn't avoid things just because they're cliche?
4. What craft did Mamet say he does sometimes in Chapter 3?
5. According to Mamet, film directors should all aspire to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scenario did Mamet put forth to the class in Chapter 2? How did Mamet relate the suggested opening shot of this scenario to television?
2. Describe Mamet's discussion of understanding precipitation in architecture in Chapter 3.
3. What writers and filmmakers did Mamet refer to in the Preface and Chapter 1 regarding screenwriting and film direction?
4. What was Mamet's rule of thumb for cutting extraneous material from a film?
5. How did Mamet explain the principle concern in choosing shots in Chapter 2?
6. How did Mamet illustrate juxtaposition of shots in documentary film in Chapter 1?
7. What did Mamet write regarding dreams and film in Chapter 1?
8. What did Mamet write about drama school and film school in Chapter 1?
9. Describe the "School of Countercultural Architecture."
10. How was the hypothetical film shot in Chapter 2?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)