|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first beat in the hypothetical scene of Chapter 2 was to what?
(a) To pay homage.
(b) To gain respect.
(c) To arrive early.
(d) To prepare.
2. In what year did Mamet write the Preface of the book?
3. Who said that the point is what happens to he hero, not what happens to the writer?
4. Screenwriting is a craft based on what?
5. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, if you want to build a roof, it might be a good idea to understand about the effects of what?
(c) Support beams.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Mamet compare with Frank Capra in Chapter 3?
2. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, the only thing the dramatic form is good for is what?
3. What is the term Mamet used for the protagonist's ultimate goal in the scene in Chapter 2?
4. According to Mamet, what was his response to "lovely enthusiasts who will aver that the purpose of modern art is not to be liked"?
5. According to Mamet, film schools are basically what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mamet write regarding dreams and film in Chapter 1?
2. What are ways that directors attempt to keep the audience's attention when the design of a film fails?
3. What did Mamet think of the steadicam?
4. What does Mamet say in terms of withholding information from the audience, in Chapter 2?
5. What writers and filmmakers did Mamet refer to in the Preface and Chapter 1 regarding screenwriting and film direction?
6. What did Mamet indicate is the point of view of the performance artist, in Chapter 3?
7. What are the different approaches Mamet discussed as methods of storytelling in film, in Chapter 1?
8. What scenario did Mamet put forth to the class in Chapter 2? How did Mamet relate the suggested opening shot of this scenario to television?
9. What is a "MacGuffin", and who coined this phrase?
10. What did Mamet write in Chapter 1 regarding character description and narration?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)