|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote The Uses of Enchantment?
(a) Bruno Eisenstein.
(b) Werner Herzog.
(c) Carl Jung.
(d) Bruno Bettelheim.
2. What are after-the-fact attempts to shore up that which was not correctly designed in a film?
3. In ADR, what does D stand for?
4. What is the term Mamet used for the protagonist's ultimate goal in the scene in Chapter 2?
5. According to Mamet, the storyteller did NOT need something in Chapter 2. What was it?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Memories, Dream, Reflections?
2. Mamet says that the house has to look like a house. The ______ doesn't have to look like a house.
3. Mamet wrote, "Most _____ directors approach it by saying, 'let's follow the actors around,' as if the film were a record of what the protagonist did."
4. The smallest unit is the shot; the largest unit is what?
5. According to Mamet, film schools are basically what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the different approaches Mamet discussed as methods of storytelling in film, in Chapter 1?
2. What was Mamet's rule of thumb for cutting extraneous material from a film?
3. What did Mamet indicate is the point of view of the performance artist, in Chapter 3?
4. What did Mamet write in Chapter 1 regarding character description and narration?
5. What scenario did Mamet put forth to the class in Chapter 2? How did Mamet relate the suggested opening shot of this scenario to television?
6. How was the hypothetical film shot in Chapter 2?
7. What is a "MacGuffin", and who coined this phrase?
8. Describe the "School of Countercultural Architecture."
9. What did Mamet cite from the book, "The Uses of Enchantment" in Chapter 2?
10. How did the class progress in the details of their hypothetical film in Chapter 2?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)