|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote The Profession of the Stage?
(a) Constantin Stanislavski.
(b) Michael Chekhov.
(c) Georgi Tovstonogov.
(d) Andreas Tovstonogov.
2. According to Mamet, you always want to tell a story in what?
3. What is the term Mamet used for the protagonist's ultimate goal in the scene in Chapter 2?
4. Who said of American films that they were all "pictures of people talking"?
(a) Frank Capra.
(d) Alfred Hitchcock.
5. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "You tax the audience every time you don't move on to _______ of the progression as quickly as possible."
(a) The action.
(b) The MacGuffin.
(c) The next essential step.
(d) The essential truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. A film is basically what, according to Mamet?
2. Mamet says in Chapter 1 that if the film follows the protagonist around, what he does had better be what?
3. How many films had David Mamet directed at the time that the book was written?
4. According to Mamet, the storyteller did NOT need something in Chapter 2. What was it?
5. What is the rule which Mamet says means "Keep it simple, stupid"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mamet caution against with having multiple motivations for the farmer in Chapter 5?
2. What did Mamet write in Chapter 1 regarding character description and narration?
3. How did Mamet describe film in terms of syllogism in Chapter 3?
4. What writers and filmmakers did Mamet refer to in the Preface and Chapter 1 regarding screenwriting and film direction?
5. Describe Mamet's discussion of understanding precipitation in architecture in Chapter 3.
6. What is the appropriate response to the actor who asks "how do I walk down the hall", in the example in Chapter 4?
7. Describe the objective and beats in the hypothetical film in Chapter 2.
8. What are ways that directors attempt to keep the audience's attention when the design of a film fails?
9. How did Mamet relate film direction and screenwriting in Chapter 6?
10. What scenario did Mamet put forth to the class in Chapter 2? How did Mamet relate the suggested opening shot of this scenario to television?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)