|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mamet cited Aristotle in saying there is no such thing as what?
(b) A happy ending.
(c) A tragic ending.
2. Mamet says in Chapter 1 that if the film follows the protagonist around, what he does had better be what?
3. What does Mamet say happens when the problem posited by the scene is over?
(a) The film is over.
(b) The scene is over.
(c) The objective is attained.
(d) The next scene begins.
4. Who said, "Write the story, take out all the good lines, and see if it still works"?
5. Who did Mamet compare with Frank Capra in Chapter 3?
(a) Alfred Hitchcock.
(b) Brad Commers.
(c) Werner Herzog.
(d) David Lynch.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mamet, what was his response to "lovely enthusiasts who will aver that the purpose of modern art is not to be liked"?
2. What is the term Mamet used for the protagonist's ultimate goal in the scene in Chapter 2?
3. Who said the following: when we have two theories, each of which adequately describes a phenomenon, always pick the simpler?
4. What are after-the-fact attempts to shore up that which was not correctly designed in a film?
5. According to Mamet, most movie scripts are written for an audience of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mamet describe dealing with dialogue in Chapter 4?
2. Describe how film is like a design.
3. What did Mamet cite from the book, "The Uses of Enchantment" in Chapter 2?
4. What did Mamet write of producers in Chapter 2?
5. What did Mamet write in Chapter 1 regarding character description and narration?
6. What decision did Mamet suggest is in the hands of the director, in Chapter 6?
7. How did the class progress in the details of their hypothetical film in Chapter 2?
8. How did Mamet describe Eisenstein's theory of montage?
9. What does Mamet say to give yourself over to in directing, in Chapter 5?
10. What does Mamet say regarding subconscious response in Chapter 4?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)