|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mamet's house was built without what?
2. Who characterized the notion of "judge of yourself"?
3. According to Mamet, the storyteller did NOT need something in Chapter 2. What was it?
4. Who wrote Memories, Dream, Reflections?
(a) Sigmund Freud.
(b) Constantin Stanislavsky.
(c) Carl Jung.
(d) Bruno Bettelheim.
5. What term means a filmmaker, usually a director, who exercises creative control over his or her works and has a strong personal style?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mamet, you always want to tell a story in what?
2. Who told Alice it didn't matter which road she took, as cited by Mamet in Chapter 2?
3. Whose method relies on a succession of images juxtaposed so that the contrast moves the story forward?
4. Who did Mamet compare with Frank Capra in Chapter 3?
5. What craft did Mamet say he does sometimes in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a "MacGuffin", and who coined this phrase?
2. What did Mamet write regarding dreams and film in Chapter 1?
3. Describe Mamet's discussion of understanding precipitation in architecture in Chapter 3.
4. What did Mamet write of producers in Chapter 2?
5. What are the different approaches Mamet discussed as methods of storytelling in film, in Chapter 1?
6. Describe the objective and beats in the hypothetical film in Chapter 2.
7. How did the class progress in the details of their hypothetical film in Chapter 2?
8. What is the backdrop of On Directing Film? From what setting did the author base the text?
9. Describe how film is like a design.
10. What does Mamet say regarding the juxtaposition of uninflected images in Chapter 3?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)