|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, if you want to build a roof, it might be a good idea to understand about the effects of what?
(d) Support beams.
2. Who said, "Write the story, take out all the good lines, and see if it still works"?
3. Who did Mamet cite in saying that we needn't avoid things just because they're cliche?
4. A film is basically what, according to Mamet?
(a) A design.
(b) An art form.
(c) A play.
(d) A map.
5. Eisenstein claimed that the best image is a what image?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mamet say is the ordering of unrelated events or ideas or images in favor of an overriding preconception?
2. What are after-the-fact attempts to shore up that which was not correctly designed in a film?
3. Mamet says in Chapter 1 that it is the __________ that makes the movie. What was he talking about?
4. Who wrote Memories, Dream, Reflections?
5. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "In addition to what you will or not learn about the medium through your desire to understand it, that desire itself will be ______."
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mamet describe Eisenstein's theory of montage?
2. What does Mamet say in terms of withholding information from the audience, in Chapter 2?
3. What did Mamet write in Chapter 3 regarding film with political agendas?
4. What scenario did Mamet put forth to the class in Chapter 2? How did Mamet relate the suggested opening shot of this scenario to television?
5. How did Mamet explain the principle concern in choosing shots in Chapter 2?
6. What are the different approaches Mamet discussed as methods of storytelling in film, in Chapter 1?
7. How did Mamet describe film in terms of syllogism in Chapter 3?
8. What did Mamet write in Chapter 1 regarding character description and narration?
9. What did Mamet indicate is the point of view of the performance artist, in Chapter 3?
10. What was Mamet's rule of thumb for cutting extraneous material from a film?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)