|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mamet, the storyteller did NOT need something in Chapter 2. What was it?
2. What is the term which means "it works correctly on paper but for some reason doesn't work when we get it on its feet"?
(a) The Jesus Factor.
(b) The K.I.S.S. Rule.
(c) The Rule of Circularity.
(d) The Hippo Factor.
3. Mamet says in Chapter 1 that it is the __________ that makes the movie. What was he talking about?
4. What is the first way suggested by students in the class for shooting a scene of a bunch of people coming to class?
(a) As a closeup.
(b) At head level.
(c) From below.
(d) From above.
5. Who said, "Write the story, take out all the good lines, and see if it still works"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 1 deals with what element of the process of directing?
2. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "To get into the scene late and to get out early is to demonstrate _____ for your audience."
3. What is the term which refers to the protagonist's immediate goal?
4. What is a progression toward the simplest, most ordered state, according to Mamet in Chapter 2?
5. Whose method relies on a succession of images juxtaposed so that the contrast moves the story forward?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mamet think of the steadicam?
2. What did Mamet write regarding dreams and film in Chapter 1?
3. What did Mamet write in Chapter 1 regarding character description and narration?
4. What did Mamet write in the Preface regarding the blind author who decided to become a screenwriter?
5. What does Mamet say regarding the juxtaposition of uninflected images in Chapter 3?
6. Describe the objective and beats in the hypothetical film in Chapter 2.
7. What is a "MacGuffin", and who coined this phrase?
8. How was the hypothetical film shot in Chapter 2?
9. What are the different approaches Mamet discussed as methods of storytelling in film, in Chapter 1?
10. What writers and filmmakers did Mamet refer to in the Preface and Chapter 1 regarding screenwriting and film direction?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)