|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Anytime anyone does what, "that's a counterforce"?
(a) Extols empathy.
(b) Tells the truth.
(c) Shows emotion.
(d) Narrates the back-story.
2. What is the term which refers to the protagonist's immediate goal?
3. Mamet says in Chapter 3 that it is the nature of human perception to go to what?
(a) The MacGuffin.
(b) The most interesting thing.
(c) The protagonist.
(d) The back-story.
4. Mamet says that you cannot hide your what, in Chapter 3?
5. Whose method relies on a succession of images juxtaposed so that the contrast moves the story forward?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mamet say is the ordering of unrelated events or ideas or images in favor of an overriding preconception?
2. Mamet's house was built without what?
3. Where did Mamet go to college?
4. Counterculture architecture was based on designing buildings based on what?
5. The first beat in the hypothetical scene of Chapter 2 was to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how film is like a design.
2. What writers and filmmakers did Mamet refer to in the Preface and Chapter 1 regarding screenwriting and film direction?
3. What does Mamet say regarding the juxtaposition of uninflected images in Chapter 3?
4. What did Mamet write in Chapter 3 regarding film with political agendas?
5. What did Mamet write in Chapter 1 regarding character description and narration?
6. Describe Mamet's discussion of understanding precipitation in architecture in Chapter 3.
7. How did Mamet describe film in terms of syllogism in Chapter 3?
8. What is a "MacGuffin", and who coined this phrase?
9. How did Mamet illustrate juxtaposition of shots in documentary film in Chapter 1?
10. What did Mamet write in the Preface regarding the blind author who decided to become a screenwriter?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)