|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Mamet cite in saying that we needn't avoid things just because they're cliche?
2. The first beat in the hypothetical scene of Chapter 2 was to what?
(a) To arrive early.
(b) To pay homage.
(c) To gain respect.
(d) To prepare.
3. According to Mamet, what was his response to "lovely enthusiasts who will aver that the purpose of modern art is not to be liked"?
(a) "Learn a craft."
(b) "Oh, grow up."
(c) "Get a life."
(d) "Let's get it over with."
4. In the scene generated for the class in Chapter 2, what did the protagonist want?
(a) To sell a pig.
(b) The students' respect.
(d) The teacher's respect.
5. Who said the following: when we have two theories, each of which adequately describes a phenomenon, always pick the simpler?
(b) William of Occam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mamet cited Aristotle in saying there is no such thing as what?
2. What was the third beat about in the hypothetical film in Chapter 2?
3. Who wrote Memories, Dream, Reflections?
4. Counterculture architecture was based on designing buildings based on what?
5. According to Mamet, you can't rely on the ________ to tell the story. Which of these is the correct answer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mamet say regarding the juxtaposition of uninflected images in Chapter 3?
2. What scenario did Mamet put forth to the class in Chapter 2? How did Mamet relate the suggested opening shot of this scenario to television?
3. Describe Mamet's discussion of understanding precipitation in architecture in Chapter 3.
4. What does Mamet say in terms of withholding information from the audience, in Chapter 2?
5. What did Mamet write in the Preface regarding the blind author who decided to become a screenwriter?
6. Describe how film is like a design.
7. What are the different approaches Mamet discussed as methods of storytelling in film, in Chapter 1?
8. How did the class progress in the details of their hypothetical film in Chapter 2?
9. How did Mamet describe film in terms of syllogism in Chapter 3?
10. What is a "MacGuffin", and who coined this phrase?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)