|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The smallest unit is the shot; the largest unit is what?
(a) The scene.
(b) The beat.
(c) The ending.
(d) The film.
2. Anytime anyone does what, "that's a counterforce"?
(a) Extols empathy.
(b) Tells the truth.
(c) Narrates the back-story.
(d) Shows emotion.
3. What unit does the director want to concern himself with?
(a) The film.
(b) The shot.
(c) The scene.
(d) The beat.
4. Who did Mamet compare with Frank Capra in Chapter 3?
(a) Brad Commers.
(b) David Lynch.
(c) Werner Herzog.
(d) Alfred Hitchcock.
5. What is the rule which Mamet says means "Keep it simple, stupid"?
(a) Shooting rule.
(b) Film rule.
(c) KISS rule.
(d) Idiot rule.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first beat in the hypothetical scene of Chapter 2 was to what?
2. According to Mamet, you always want to tell a story in what?
3. Who did Mamet cite in saying that we needn't avoid things just because they're cliche?
4. Mamet wrote, "Most _____ directors approach it by saying, 'let's follow the actors around,' as if the film were a record of what the protagonist did."
5. According to Mamet, when the film is correctly ____, the subconscious and the conscious are in alignment.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mamet write in Chapter 3 regarding film with political agendas?
2. How did Mamet describe Eisenstein's theory of montage?
3. How did Mamet describe film in terms of syllogism in Chapter 3?
4. What does Mamet say regarding the juxtaposition of uninflected images in Chapter 3?
5. Describe Mamet's discussion of understanding precipitation in architecture in Chapter 3.
6. What did Mamet write about drama school and film school in Chapter 1?
7. Describe the "School of Countercultural Architecture."
8. What writers and filmmakers did Mamet refer to in the Preface and Chapter 1 regarding screenwriting and film direction?
9. How did Mamet describe human nature in piecing together stories from film?
10. What did Mamet write in Chapter 1 regarding character description and narration?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)