|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, in Mamet's analogy in Chapter 6, are the marker buoys?
(a) The superobjective.
(b) The character.
(c) The plot.
(d) Small objectives.
2. The rule of circularity says not to do what?
(a) The same thing twice.
(b) Repeat the beginning.
(c) Repeat the objective.
(d) Repeat the narration.
3. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, the Stoics would advise adhering to the metaphor which relates to what?
(b) Selling a calf.
(c) Going on a journey.
(d) Going into battle.
4. According to Mamet in Chapter 4, "If you don't know what you want, how can you know when _____?"
(a) To begin.
(b) To edit.
(c) You're done.
(d) To stop.
5. In Chapter 5, the hypothetical film Mamet worked on with the students involved a farmer selling what?
(a) A pig.
(b) A goat.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A cow.
6. What example did Mamet use in Chapter 4 to demonstrate how you don't or do shoot a scene?
(a) A car crash.
(b) A pig farmer.
(c) A cartoon.
(d) A documentary.
7. When the farmer saw the man on the road, how did Mamet refer to this beat?
(a) Gaining respect.
(b) Selling the animal.
(c) Gaining a foothold.
(d) Capitalizing on a golden opportunity.
8. Once the story has found an ending, Mamet says you can look back over the shot list and answer what question?
(a) What is the story?
(b) What have I left out?
(c) What objectives are missing?
(d) What can I add to the character?
9. What do you refer to when giving direction to the actor or the cameraman?
(a) The beat.
(b) The objective of the scene.
(c) The interesting shot.
(d) The actor's focus.
10. According to Mamet in Chapter 5, what is the perfect movie?
(a) Breakfast at Tiffany's.
(c) It's a Wonderful Life.
11. What actress did Mamet mention in the footnotes of Chapter 5 as an actress who could truly act?
(a) Mary Astor.
(b) Susan Sarandon.
(c) Donna Reed.
(d) Meryl Streep.
12. According to Mamet, what actor did he laud for his simplicity in a scene which involved the Nazis, in Chapter 4?
(a) Clifton Hayes.
(b) Carey Grant.
(c) Humphrey Bogart.
(d) James Stewart.
13. What was the man doing on the side of the road whom the farmer met in Chapter 5?
(a) Catching a pig.
(b) Catching a chicken.
(c) Fixing a wheel.
(d) Cutting his lawn.
14. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, someone once asked whom if they had ever been lost?
(a) Franklin Roosevelt.
(b) Christopher Columbus.
(c) Daniel Boone.
(d) James Joyce.
15. Which story of the farmer's did the class decide to go with in Chapter 5?
(a) Getting money for food.
(b) Having no money.
(c) Getting rid of danger.
(d) Saving the child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mamet says in Chapter 4 that movies are made out of what?
2. What was the last beat about in the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
3. Mamet says in Chapter 6 that you will have forsworn the Cult of what for a little while?
4. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, you can't make it interesting once you get where?
5. Mamet says the reason we like those old-time movie stars so much is that they are what?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)