|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mamet says of film directing and screenwriting that they are what?
(a) Exact sciences.
(b) Very different.
(d) The same trade.
2. What did Stanislavsky say is needed alone to support the text?
3. According to Mamet in Chapter 5, why did Oedipus have to find out who his parents were?
(a) He didn't.
(b) The curse.
(c) The plague.
4. What does Mamet say is the superobjective of the hero in Chapter 6?
(a) The buoy.
(b) The roadside.
(c) The river.
(d) The channel.
5. What is the book of pictures of shots of a film called?
(a) The book.
(b) The set design.
(c) The prompt book.
(d) The storyboard.
6. Mamet recommended the book A Practical Handbook for the Actor, written by whom?
(a) Mamet, Eisenstein, Olnek.
(b) Bruder, Cohn, Olnek, et al.
(c) Meisner, Adler, et al.
(d) Bruder, Eisenstein.
7. The study of what is very useful for directors, according to Mamet?
8. According to Mamet, what do actors talk about, which does not exist on the stage?
(a) Arc of the film.
9. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, "It's always up to you whether you are going to tell a story through a ____ of shots or you are not."
10. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, the "hope that God will intervene and save you" is what most people mean when they talk about what?
11. Mamet says that when he was young, actors spent how many years on stage earning a living by the time they were thirty?
12. According to Mamet, most actors in film and stage today are what?
(a) Well trained.
(b) Too self-absorbed.
(c) Too edgy.
(d) Badly trained.
13. What was the steamboat captain's answer to Stanislavsky, in Chapter 6?
(a) "I stick to the channel; it's marked."
(b) "I drink a lot of water."
(c) "I have a sounding beacon."
(d) "I use a map."
14. What did Stanislavsky ask the steamboat captain, according to Mamet in Chapter 6?
(a) How he didn't get lost.
(b) How he maintained a living.
(c) How he steered the boat safely.
(d) How he kept from getting seasick.
15. Which chapter did Mamet recommend the students read in, A Practical Handbook for the Actor?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the last beat about in the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
2. Using the example the class previously created, in Chapter 4, what is "the scene"?
3. What does Mamet say that he defies anyone to act in Chapter 4?
4. What is the subheading of Chapter 4?
5. After how many takes does Mamet say you can no longer remember what the scene was about, in Chapter 4?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)