|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mamet says that the perfect movie doesn't have any what?
2. Who directed Casablanca?
(a) Michael Curtiz.
(b) Milton Gladstone.
(c) Frank Capra.
(d) Miles Herzog.
3. The two essential elements of story, according to Aristotle, are surprise and what?
4. According to Mamet, who told us that it's good to have tools that are simple to understand and a very limited number?
(b) The Stoics.
(c) The Greeks.
5. According to Mamet, what do actors talk about, which does not exist on the stage?
(b) Arc of the film.
6. Mamet says in Chapter 6 that you will have forsworn the Cult of what for a little while?
7. The only reason characters speak is what?
(a) To tell a story.
(b) To express exposition.
(c) To get what they want.
(d) To narrate.
8. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, it is the pursuit of what that is important?
(b) An ideal.
9. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, the "hope that God will intervene and save you" is what most people mean when they talk about what?
10. What was the impetus for the beginning of Citizen Kane?
(a) The inheritance.
(b) The death of Charles Foster Kane.
(c) The plague.
(d) The discovery of the sled.
11. Mamet says of film directing and screenwriting that they are what?
(b) Very different.
(c) The same trade.
(d) Exact sciences.
12. According to Mamet in Chapter 4, "If you don't know what you want, how can you know when _____?"
(a) To edit.
(b) To stop.
(c) You're done.
(d) To begin.
13. What did the pig have around its neck in the hypothetical film from Chapter 5?
(a) A belt.
(b) A collar.
(c) A leash.
(d) A handkerchief.
14. What does Mamet say is useless filler in film, and the giveaway to a joke's punch line, in Chapter 5?
15. Mamet says in Chapter 4 that movies are made out of what?
(a) Heroic struggles.
(b) Very simple ideas.
(c) Epic dramas.
(d) Elaborate stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the farmer go in the town in the hypothetical film of Chapter 5?
2. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, the Stoics would advise adhering to the metaphor which relates to what?
3. What was in the pen in the ending of the story in Chapter 5?
4. What does David Mamet say that the answer to all of the tedious actor questions is?
5. According to Mamet at the end of Chapter 5, "Anybody with a _____ can take a picture of a 'pig.'"
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)