|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Using the example the class previously created, in Chapter 4, what is "the scene"?
(a) To eradicate danger.
(b) To sell a pig.
(c) To get respect.
(d) To get a retraction.
2. What does Mamet say "are all you have" in Chapter 6?
(a) The cuts.
(b) The scene.
(c) The shots.
(d) The actors.
3. After shooting which take do you not even remember why you were born?
4. What, in Mamet's analogy in Chapter 6, are the marker buoys?
(a) The character.
(b) Small objectives.
(c) The superobjective.
(d) The plot.
5. What was the impetus for the beginning of Citizen Kane?
(a) The inheritance.
(b) The discovery of the sled.
(c) The plague.
(d) The death of Charles Foster Kane.
6. Where was Stanislavsky having dinner with a steamboat captain, according to Mamet in Chapter 6?
(a) The Indian Ocean.
(b) The Thames River.
(c) The Atlantic Ocean.
(d) The Volga River.
7. According to Mamet, what actor did he laud for his simplicity in a scene which involved the Nazis, in Chapter 4?
(a) Clifton Hayes.
(b) Humphrey Bogart.
(c) James Stewart.
(d) Carey Grant.
8. The only reason characters speak is what?
(a) To express exposition.
(b) To get what they want.
(c) To tell a story.
(d) To narrate.
9. What do you refer to when giving direction to the actor or the cameraman?
(a) The objective of the scene.
(b) The actor's focus.
(c) The beat.
(d) The interesting shot.
10. The purpose of rehearsal is to tell the actors, beat by beat, what?
(a) The objectives.
(b) The actions called for.
(c) The emotions needed.
(d) The characterization.
11. Mamet made the analogy in Chapter 4, "if the house is going to stand, the nail must do the work of ____."
(a) A nail.
(b) A beam.
(c) A hammer.
(d) A slat.
12. The two essential elements of story, according to Aristotle, are surprise and what?
13. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, it is the pursuit of what that is important?
(a) An ideal.
14. According to Mamet in Chapter 5, why did Oedipus have to find out who his parents were?
(a) He didn't.
(c) The plague.
(d) The curse.
15. According to Mamet, he's seen directors do how many takes of a shot?
Short Answer Questions
1. Mamet says in Chapter 4 that a lot of the decisions you think are going to be arbitrary are arrived at through the what?
2. What did Stanislavsky ask the steamboat captain, according to Mamet in Chapter 6?
3. What was in the pen in the ending of the story in Chapter 5?
4. When the farmer saw the man on the road, how did Mamet refer to this beat?
5. What example did Mamet use in Chapter 4 to demonstrate how you don't or do shoot a scene?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)