|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Using the example the class previously created, in Chapter 4, what is "the scene"?
(a) To get a retraction.
(b) To eradicate danger.
(c) To sell a pig.
(d) To get respect.
2. After shooting which take do you not even remember why you were born?
3. Who directed Casablanca?
(a) Frank Capra.
(b) Michael Curtiz.
(c) Miles Herzog.
(d) Milton Gladstone.
4. What does Mamet say that he defies anyone to act in Chapter 4?
(a) Their obstacle.
(b) Their motivation.
(c) Where they came from.
(d) Their height.
5. Mamet says of film directing and screenwriting that they are what?
(a) Very different.
(b) The same trade.
(c) Exact sciences.
6. What was the last beat about in the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
(a) A man sells a pig.
(b) A man rewards a good deed.
(c) A man saves the day.
(d) A man sells a goat.
7. What was the impetus for the beginning of Citizen Kane?
(a) The death of Charles Foster Kane.
(b) The discovery of the sled.
(c) The inheritance.
(d) The plague.
8. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, we would like to learn a technique of directing and analyzing as concrete as that of a what?
9. According to Mamet, who told us that it's good to have tools that are simple to understand and a very limited number?
(c) The Greeks.
(d) The Stoics.
10. Mamet says in Chapter 6 that to "Understand your specific task, work until it's done, and then stop" is the same as what?
(a) The throughline.
(b) The plot.
(c) The focus.
(d) The superobjective.
11. What actress did Mamet mention in the footnotes of Chapter 5 as an actress who could truly act?
(a) Mary Astor.
(b) Meryl Streep.
(c) Susan Sarandon.
(d) Donna Reed.
12. The two essential elements of story, according to Aristotle, are surprise and what?
13. Using the example the class previously created, in Chapter 4, what is the meaning of the beat?
(a) To prepare.
(b) To arrive early.
(c) To gain respect.
(d) To get a retraction.
14. Mamet says that the perfect movie doesn't have any what?
15. Mamet recommended the book A Practical Handbook for the Actor, written by whom?
(a) Bruder, Cohn, Olnek, et al.
(b) Meisner, Adler, et al.
(c) Mamet, Eisenstein, Olnek.
(d) Bruder, Eisenstein.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mamet says that when he was young, actors spent how many years on stage earning a living by the time they were thirty?
2. According to Mamet, most actors in film and stage today are what?
3. Mamet says that the greatest lesson in acting is to perform the physical motions of the script, how?
4. According to Mamet at the end of Chapter 5, "Anybody with a _____ can take a picture of a 'pig.'"
5. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, "It's always up to you whether you are going to tell a story through a ____ of shots or you are not."
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)