|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did some of the nurses avoid tending to patients who were terminally ill?
2. What did the daughter of a patient in chapter IX do when her mother became ill?
3. What did Cicely Saunders do before she became an author?
4. What does Kubler-Ross say a therapist will see while witnessing the passing of many terminal patients?
5. What was an UNEXPECTED benefit of Kubler-Ross' seminars for the patients who attended?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the most frustrating part of the last patient's illness?
2. What helped sustain the seventeen-year-old girl during her terminal illness?
3. What does death seem like to a three-year-old child?
4. For whom does the courageous female patient feel sorry?
5. What does death seem like to a five-year-old child?
6. How did the nursing staff treat the terminal ward of the hospital before Kubler-Ross's seminars?
7. Why did the nursing staff treat the terminal ward the way that they did before Kubler-Ross's seminars?
8. What was Mr. Y.'s biggest complaint while his wife was sick?
9. What does Kubler-Ross emphasize as the most important thing for terminal patients to do?
10. How does the hospital staff initially respond to Kubler-Ross's seminars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. S. was a dynamic woman who had faced many different trials in her life. What were these trials, and how did they affect her ability to grieve properly?
Essay Topic 2
What are "bonuses," and how can they change a patient's experience with a terminal disease? Is this a good thing to encourage in a terminal patient--why or why not? Using the text, cite some examples--positive or negative--of patients using this technique.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Mr. Y.'s situation as well as the reasoning he was given for being placed in that situation. How did this affect his wife's and his acceptance process?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)