|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Augustine in Book Three, what is the purpose of Scripture in reporting the condition that affects holy men?
2. What facts of Scripture does Augustine set as the foundation for understanding it?
3. What does Augustine reason, from the scriptural reference regarding the hazard of learning, that a student must be sure to develop.
4. What hazard does Augustine state must one keep in check as they learn of the fields pertaining to Scripture?
5. What is an apparent contradiction regarding Augustine's expectation of students to interpretation and an omission from his commentaries in "On Christian Doctrine"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Augustine claims that reading Scripture by itself is sufficient to tea scripture. If this is so, please defend reasons for a student devoting themselves to the time for study to learn to interpret Scripture. Does Augustine's claim about the self-sufficiency of Scripture support those who claim "special gifts" are needed to interpret Scripture? In your opinion is the type of work Augustine requires to interpret Scripture more necessary today than in Augustine's time or less so? Why?
Essay Topic 2Book Three begins with an examination of how faith, punctuation, and pronunciation can contribute to clearing up ambiguities of Scriptural passages. Detail what steps a student would have to take to develop each of those abilities and compare the Scriptural interpreter who has developed them to one who claims "special gifts" as their source for interpretation and teaching.
Essay Topic 3Augustine begins training his students to interpret scripture with an examination of "things." He differentiates "things" that are to be used from things that are to be enjoyed. Use an example that Augustine used in "On Christian Doctrine" to make a Venn diagram comparing things that are used with things enjoyed. Write an essay on your diagram and identify the standard that Augustine uses to determine how things are to be used and enjoyed properly. Conclude the essay with the steps you would have to take to use and enjoy things based on Augustine's standards.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)