|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By making the demands of understanding Scripture difficult, who was Augustine criticizing?
2. What are the two different ways a Scriptural passage can be considered, according to Book Three?
3. What does Book Three state is the purpose of God or angels using condemning terms?
4. How can recommendations Augustine makes from Book Three prevent students from falling into the trap that misleads them?
5. Upon what does Augustine say the student of Scripture must rely during his studies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book Two, Augustine begins teaching on interpreting signs in Scripture. He warns against misapplying literal and figurative language to interpret signs. Read the creation account of Genesis 1. Compare the effects on theology by considering the chapter literally and figuratively. Explain how the literal or figurative interpretation of Genesis 1 affects the interpretation of miracles and events through the rest of the Bible including, but not limited to, the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ.
Essay Topic 2
Augustine's writings on Christian conduct and practices are still influential today. Identify three principles he articulates in "On Christian Doctrine" that you consider important in Christian practices today. Write why you consider them important, what sort of affect the application of these principles have on Christianity and general society, and how you plan to implement these principles in your life.
Essay Topic 3
Book Four focuses on the significance of rhetorical skill in the defense of Scriptural interpretation, yet Augustine chooses not to teach rhetoric and advises his students to study people who are effective rhetoricians. Compare learning rhetorical skill from a textbook to learning it directly from someone who demonstrates the gifts for using rhetoric effectively. Choose someone you know to be a public speaker and identify techniques that person uses to effectively communicate with an audience and how you could apply their style to your deliveries.
This section contains 1,754 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)