|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what does Augustine say the student of Scripture must rely during his studies?
2. What are the mix of subjects that Augustine emphasizes in his education?
3. According to Augustine in Book Three, what is the purpose of Scripture in reporting the condition that affects holy men?
4. What is the significance of Augustine recommending mastery of so many fields in Book Two?
5. If Augustine sets a standard for how to interpret Scriptural characters literally, and he applies the converse of that standard for interpreting Scriptural character's figuratively, how would that standard be articulated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augustine requires his students to learn history and ancient languages in order to properly interpret Scripture. Identify and detail three reasons he makes this requirement and explain how his expectations could serve a student looking into other areas of study. Plan an order for learning the skills that Augustine recommends for responsible Scriptural interpretation and explain why you would follow the courses in that order.
Essay Topic 2
Augustine claims that reading Scripture by itself is sufficient to tea scripture. If this is so, please defend reasons for a student devoting themselves to the time for study to learn to interpret Scripture. Does Augustine's claim about the self-sufficiency of Scripture support those who claim "special gifts" are needed to interpret Scripture? In your opinion is the type of work Augustine requires to interpret Scripture more necessary today than in Augustine's time or less so? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Augustine begins training his students to interpret scripture with an examination of "things." He differentiates "things" that are to be used from things that are to be enjoyed. Use an example that Augustine used in "On Christian Doctrine" to make a Venn diagram comparing things that are used with things enjoyed. Write an essay on your diagram and identify the standard that Augustine uses to determine how things are to be used and enjoyed properly. Conclude the essay with the steps you would have to take to use and enjoy things based on Augustine's standards.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)