|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Book Three state is the purpose of God or angels using condemning terms?
2. What are the two different ways that God and angels speak in Scripture, as identified in Book Three?
3. What is an apparent contradiction regarding Augustine's expectation of students to interpretation and an omission from his commentaries in "On Christian Doctrine"?
4. According to Augustine, to whom are commands from Scripture intended?
5. What type of language from Scriptural characters must be taken literally, according to Augustine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augustine wrote after the reign of Constantine who made Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire. How do you think the role of Christianity in the administration of the Roman Empire affected theological rivalries among Christian leaders? Is it possible that Augustine was motivated by such rivalries to write "On Christian Doctrine"? Why or why not? If a rivalry similar to that between Augustine and the Donatists (those who believed interpretation came from "special gifts") was active today, which side do you believe modern political, religious, and secular leaders would choose and why?
Essay Topic 2
In Book Two, Augustine identifies seven virtues that lead to the development of wisdom. Analyze how the seven virtues contribute to the strengthening of each other and how they build toward gaining what Augustine defines as wisdom.
Essay Topic 3
In Book Three, Augustine examines the natures of God, man, sin and lust. Give a review of what Augustine taught on these three areas, how they compare and contrast to modern perceptions on the same three areas, and whether you agree with Augustine's positions and why you do or do not. Cite recognizable examples from modern times and history to support your view.
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)