|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book Three, Augustine argues that since holy men from scripture receive evil language from God because of their condition, how should the passages with such language be read?
2. Why does Augustine claim this knowledge is required to understand what Scripture teaches?
3. What are the primary possessions of the student of Scripture, according to Augustine in Book Two?
4. By making the demands of understanding Scripture difficult, who was Augustine criticizing?
5. What does Book Three state is the purpose of God or angels using condemning terms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augustine's writings on Christian conduct and practices are still influential today. Identify three principles he articulates in "On Christian Doctrine" that you consider important in Christian practices today. Write why you consider them important, what sort of affect the application of these principles have on Christianity and general society, and how you plan to implement these principles in your life.
Essay Topic 2
Augustine devotes the preface to answering criticism he expects to receive from a sect known as the Donatists. Compare Augustine's position to what you know of the Donatists from the preface (those who believe that "special gifts" were necessary to interpret Scripture). What are the benefits of the two beliefs? What are the disadvantages of each? Which system of interpretation do you consider more beneficial to the general public and particularly to the growth and development of the Christian Church. Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare lifestyles from the Old Testament (2,000 B.C.-500 B.C.), life in the late Roman Empire during the life of Augustine (354 A.D.-430 A.D.), and during the 21st Century. Write an analysis of how life in the Roman Empire of Augustine is similar to Old Testament times and how it is similar to the America of the 21st Century. Conclude with details of difficulties for a modern student to has for relating to the culture and life of the Old Testament and life in Augustine's Roman empire and steps a modern student would have to take to overcome those difficulties.
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)