|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the areas that Augustine emphasizes, what area receives the most intense focus?
2. What does Augustine state signs are regardless of whether they want to be?
3. In Book Three, Augustine argues that since holy men from scripture receive evil language from God because of their condition, how should the passages with such language be read?
4. What does Augustine call the types of grammar used through Scripture?
5. What are the two categories of signs Augustine identifies in Book Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augustine requires his students to learn history and ancient languages in order to properly interpret Scripture. Identify and detail three reasons he makes this requirement and explain how his expectations could serve a student looking into other areas of study. Plan an order for learning the skills that Augustine recommends for responsible Scriptural interpretation and explain why you would follow the courses in that order.
Essay Topic 2
Augustine demands his students to pursue moral purification. As modern students, you are required to adhere to institutional rules at home, school and jobs. Compare obedience to rules to the standards Augustine sets for moral purification. How does obedience to rules help to bring one to seek moral purification? Can moral purification contribute to someone being more obedient to institutional rules? How? Can moral purification lead someone to be defiant of institutional rules? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Book Two, Augustine identifies seven virtues that lead to the development of wisdom. Analyze how the seven virtues contribute to the strengthening of each other and how they build toward gaining what Augustine defines as wisdom.
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)