|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Augustine writes in Book Three that in order to make the type of evaluation of the command given to the intended target, what knowledge must a student of Scripture possess?
2. What are the two different ways that God and angels speak in Scripture, as identified in Book Three?
3. What is a requirement of Augustine's disciples?
4. What does Book Three state is the purpose of God or angels using condemning terms?
5. According to Augustine, of the different forms through which the grammar types show themselves, which is, by definition, the most difficult to interpret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augustine claims that reading Scripture by itself is sufficient to tea scripture. If this is so, please defend reasons for a student devoting themselves to the time for study to learn to interpret Scripture. Does Augustine's claim about the self-sufficiency of Scripture support those who claim "special gifts" are needed to interpret Scripture? In your opinion is the type of work Augustine requires to interpret Scripture more necessary today than in Augustine's time or less so? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In Book Three, Augustine examines the natures of God, man, sin and lust. Give a review of what Augustine taught on these three areas, how they compare and contrast to modern perceptions on the same three areas, and whether you agree with Augustine's positions and why you do or do not. Cite recognizable examples from modern times and history to support your view.
Essay Topic 3
Augustine devotes the preface to answering criticism he expects to receive from a sect known as the Donatists. Compare Augustine's position to what you know of the Donatists from the preface (those who believe that "special gifts" were necessary to interpret Scripture). What are the benefits of the two beliefs? What are the disadvantages of each? Which system of interpretation do you consider more beneficial to the general public and particularly to the growth and development of the Christian Church. Explain your answer.
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)