|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Augustine claim this knowledge is required to understand what Scripture teaches?
2. How does Augustine state a student should consider an evil command given to its intended target?
3. What does Augustine state the student must do once the figurative and literal passages have been separated from each other?
4. What Augustine accomplished with his first three books from "On Christian Doctrine"?
5. According to Book Three, what is the cause of Christians who are not diligent in separating themselves from pagans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augustine requires his students to learn history and ancient languages in order to properly interpret Scripture. Identify and detail three reasons he makes this requirement and explain how his expectations could serve a student looking into other areas of study. Plan an order for learning the skills that Augustine recommends for responsible Scriptural interpretation and explain why you would follow the courses in that order.
Essay Topic 2
In Book Two, Augustine begins teaching on interpreting signs in Scripture. He warns against misapplying literal and figurative language to interpret signs. Read the creation account of Genesis 1. Compare the effects on theology by considering the chapter literally and figuratively. Explain how the literal or figurative interpretation of Genesis 1 affects the interpretation of miracles and events through the rest of the Bible including, but not limited to, the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ.
Essay Topic 3
Augustine begins training his students to interpret scripture with an examination of "things." He differentiates "things" that are to be used from things that are to be enjoyed. Use an example that Augustine used in "On Christian Doctrine" to make a Venn diagram comparing things that are used with things enjoyed. Write an essay on your diagram and identify the standard that Augustine uses to determine how things are to be used and enjoyed properly. Conclude the essay with the steps you would have to take to use and enjoy things based on Augustine's standards.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)