|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Book Two, what is the most important knowledge a student of scripture can have?
2. How will studying this subject help in understanding Scripture?
3. What ethical principle of the Bible does Augustine require for students to use as a guide for interpretation of Scripture?
4. What is the difference between the time that God might deliver what seems to be an evil command in the Old Testament and the current time, according to Augustine?
5. What hazard does Augustine state must one keep in check as they learn of the fields pertaining to Scripture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare lifestyles from the Old Testament (2,000 B.C.-500 B.C.), life in the late Roman Empire during the life of Augustine (354 A.D.-430 A.D.), and during the 21st Century. Write an analysis of how life in the Roman Empire of Augustine is similar to Old Testament times and how it is similar to the America of the 21st Century. Conclude with details of difficulties for a modern student to has for relating to the culture and life of the Old Testament and life in Augustine's Roman empire and steps a modern student would have to take to overcome those difficulties.
Essay Topic 2
In the Preface, Augustine explains that refusing to learn from trained and experienced human teachers eliminates an aspiring student from benefiting from communities built upon the principles of Christian love. Identify the principles of the Christian love that Augustine promotes and explain the role that the student is to take in relationship of the community and experienced and trained teachers of Scripture.
Essay Topic 3
Augustine requires his students to learn history and ancient languages in order to properly interpret Scripture. Identify and detail three reasons he makes this requirement and explain how his expectations could serve a student looking into other areas of study. Plan an order for learning the skills that Augustine recommends for responsible Scriptural interpretation and explain why you would follow the courses in that order.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)