|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Augustine suggest that God would use confusing signs?
2. What are the two categories of signs Augustine identifies in Book Two?
3. What important understanding must the student of scripture possess, as stated in Book Two?
4. According to Augustine in Book Two, in order for the student to become an effective teacher, what two skills must the student master?
5. According to Book Two, what is the most important knowledge a student of scripture can have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augustine wrote after the reign of Constantine who made Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire. How do you think the role of Christianity in the administration of the Roman Empire affected theological rivalries among Christian leaders? Is it possible that Augustine was motivated by such rivalries to write "On Christian Doctrine"? Why or why not? If a rivalry similar to that between Augustine and the Donatists (those who believed interpretation came from "special gifts") was active today, which side do you believe modern political, religious, and secular leaders would choose and why?
Essay Topic 2
In Book Three, Augustine examines the natures of God, man, sin and lust. Give a review of what Augustine taught on these three areas, how they compare and contrast to modern perceptions on the same three areas, and whether you agree with Augustine's positions and why you do or do not. Cite recognizable examples from modern times and history to support your view.
Essay Topic 3
Motivations play an important role in Augustine's requirements for Scriptural interpreters. Identify a scandal involving a modern-day Christian leader and detail how the actions that led to the scandal prove misguided motivations that violated the principles of Christian love as defined by Augustine.
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)