|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main difference between the system of learning that Augustine advocates and that advocated by the critics he focuses on in the Preface?
2. Who does Augustine suggest has the ability to know the Truth?
3. Augustine endeavors to answer many questions about what subject in Book One?
4. What is the second important distinction that Augustine makes in Book One?
5. What is the doctrine that Augustine claims critics of human teaching defend?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what sect of Christianity did Tyconius belong and and why is it ironic that Augustine references his rules of interpretation?
2. What does Augustine identify as the two types of passages interpreted from Scripture?
3. What are the first two points that Augustine uses to begin his refutation of the critics he focuses upon in the Preface?
4. What doctrine do Augustine's critics apply to interpreting Scripture?
5. What is a technique that Augustine uses to determine the meaning of a passage that cannot be discovered by simply reading the passage?
6. What is a point that Augustine makes about the love of God that confronts his critics that claim "special gifts" needed to interpret scripture?
7. Upon which type of critics does Augustine focus his attention in the preface?
8. What tool does Augustine write that a pastor can use to help make Scripture understandable?
9. What are the criticisms that Augustine predicts he will face over "On Christian Doctrine"?
10. According to Augustine, for whom are written commands in Scripture intended?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book Three, Augustine examines the natures of God, man, sin and lust. Give a review of what Augustine taught on these three areas, how they compare and contrast to modern perceptions on the same three areas, and whether you agree with Augustine's positions and why you do or do not. Cite recognizable examples from modern times and history to support your view.
Essay Topic 2
In the Preface, Augustine explains that refusing to learn from trained and experienced human teachers eliminates an aspiring student from benefiting from communities built upon the principles of Christian love. Identify the principles of the Christian love that Augustine promotes and explain the role that the student is to take in relationship of the community and experienced and trained teachers of Scripture.
Essay Topic 3
Book Four focuses on the significance of rhetorical skill in the defense of Scriptural interpretation, yet Augustine chooses not to teach rhetoric and advises his students to study people who are effective rhetoricians. Compare learning rhetorical skill from a textbook to learning it directly from someone who demonstrates the gifts for using rhetoric effectively. Choose someone you know to be a public speaker and identify techniques that person uses to effectively communicate with an audience and how you could apply their style to your deliveries.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)