|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an important distinction that Augustine teaches students to understand through three Books of "On Christian Doctrine?
2. How does Augustine relate Truth and God?
3. According to Augustine, how should a student be affected as he/she becomes proficient in interpreting Scripture?
4. What items or situations does Augustine use to illustrate his distinction of things?
5. In approaching this distinction, what is Augustine's first focus in Book One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Augustine's focus in Book One?
2. How does Cicero detail an orator speaking in proportion with the gravity of the subject matter?
3. What categories does Augustine use to define spheres of natural knowledge?
4. What are the two subject matters into which Augustine divides the four books in "Of Christian Doctrine"?
5. What question does Augustine raise to those who believe that Scriptural interpretation can only be learned from "special gifts"?
6. What topic does Augustine address in Book Three?
7. What does Augustine identify as the two types of passages interpreted from Scripture?
8. What does Augustine identify as the purpose of giving a sermon?
9. What is Augustine's view of "special gifts"?
10. What does Augustine claim are the two types of signs and how are they defined?
Essay Topic 1
In the Preface, Augustine explains that refusing to learn from trained and experienced human teachers eliminates an aspiring student from benefiting from communities built upon the principles of Christian love. Identify the principles of the Christian love that Augustine promotes and explain the role that the student is to take in relationship of the community and experienced and trained teachers of Scripture.
Essay Topic 2
Book Four focuses on the significance of rhetorical skill in the defense of Scriptural interpretation, yet Augustine chooses not to teach rhetoric and advises his students to study people who are effective rhetoricians. Compare learning rhetorical skill from a textbook to learning it directly from someone who demonstrates the gifts for using rhetoric effectively. Choose someone you know to be a public speaker and identify techniques that person uses to effectively communicate with an audience and how you could apply their style to your deliveries.
Essay Topic 3
Compare lifestyles from the Old Testament (2,000 B.C.-500 B.C.), life in the late Roman Empire during the life of Augustine (354 A.D.-430 A.D.), and during the 21st Century. Write an analysis of how life in the Roman Empire of Augustine is similar to Old Testament times and how it is similar to the America of the 21st Century. Conclude with details of difficulties for a modern student to has for relating to the culture and life of the Old Testament and life in Augustine's Roman empire and steps a modern student would have to take to overcome those difficulties.
This section contains 2,023 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)