|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two main tools that God uses to teach men what to do, as identified by Augustine?
2. With what prediction does Augustine start "On Christian Doctrine"?
3. How does Augustine characterize things in Book One?
4. Why does Augustine expect the method of accessing knowledge he lacks to be successful?
5. What does Augustine recommend to avoid the negative influences on individual thought?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what sect of Christianity did Tyconius belong and and why is it ironic that Augustine references his rules of interpretation?
2. Augustine refutes his critics from the Preface with a common example. What was that example and how does Augustine use it to support his position?
3. What must a student keep in check while learning the subjects that Augustine recommends?
4. What inference can be made from the extensive training that Augustine recommends to interpret Scripture?
5. What are the first two points that Augustine uses to begin his refutation of the critics he focuses upon in the Preface?
6. What is a technique that Augustine uses to determine the meaning of a passage that cannot be discovered by simply reading the passage?
7. How does Augustine require that a speaker treat Scriptural interpretation?
8. Why does Augustine suggest that the critics he focuses on in the Preface do not believe his teaching is necessary?
9. What relationship does Augustine write humans should have with God? What does Augustine write must humans do before they can enter this relationship?
10. What subjects does Augustine recommend that students lea to interpret scripture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Book Four focuses on the significance of rhetorical skill in the defense of Scriptural interpretation, yet Augustine chooses not to teach rhetoric and advises his students to study people who are effective rhetoricians. Compare learning rhetorical skill from a textbook to learning it directly from someone who demonstrates the gifts for using rhetoric effectively. Choose someone you know to be a public speaker and identify techniques that person uses to effectively communicate with an audience and how you could apply their style to your deliveries.
Essay Topic 2
Compare lifestyles from the Old Testament (2,000 B.C.-500 B.C.), life in the late Roman Empire during the life of Augustine (354 A.D.-430 A.D.), and during the 21st Century. Write an analysis of how life in the Roman Empire of Augustine is similar to Old Testament times and how it is similar to the America of the 21st Century. Conclude with details of difficulties for a modern student to has for relating to the culture and life of the Old Testament and life in Augustine's Roman empire and steps a modern student would have to take to overcome those difficulties.
Essay Topic 3
Augustine requires his students to learn history and ancient languages in order to properly interpret Scripture. Identify and detail three reasons he makes this requirement and explain how his expectations could serve a student looking into other areas of study. Plan an order for learning the skills that Augustine recommends for responsible Scriptural interpretation and explain why you would follow the courses in that order.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)