|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Augustine relate Truth and God?
2. What Scriptural defense does Augustine use for encouraging critics to consider the validity of "On Christian Doctrine"?
3. What is Augustine's perception of God's dispensation of "special gifts" of interpreting Scripture?
4. What items or situations does Augustine use to illustrate his distinction of things?
5. Why does Augustine expect the method of accessing knowledge he lacks to be successful?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first two points that Augustine uses to begin his refutation of the critics he focuses upon in the Preface?
2. What categories does Augustine use to define spheres of natural knowledge?
3. What does Augustine claim is one of the causes of a sign's ambiguity?
4. What are the two subject matters into which Augustine divides the four books in "Of Christian Doctrine"?
5. What self-knowledge does Augustine write that students need and what steps does Augustine suggest for them to overcome the limits of that self-knowledge to learn to interpret Scripture?
6. How does Augustine require that a speaker treat Scriptural interpretation?
7. Why does Augustine believe that God will aid him in his teaching about learning and communicating Scripture?
8. What is Augustine's view of "special gifts"?
9. Why does Augustine suggest that Christians should learn to use rhetoric?
10. What is a point that Augustine makes about the love of God that confronts his critics that claim "special gifts" needed to interpret scripture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1In the Preface, Augustine explains that refusing to learn from trained and experienced human teachers eliminates an aspiring student from benefiting from communities built upon the principles of Christian love. Identify the principles of the Christian love that Augustine promotes and explain the role that the student is to take in relationship of the community and experienced and trained teachers of Scripture.
Essay Topic 2Augustine warns that coveting negates Christian love. Explain coveting as a motivation and identify how covetousness will motivate someone to take actions that appear to be similar to Christian love. Conclude your explanation with the consequences of a covetous individual misusing the acts of Christian love to the person he/she uses them upon, the person who commits those false acts, and to the image of Christian love.
Essay Topic 3Augustine requires his students to learn history and ancient languages in order to properly interpret Scripture. Identify and detail three reasons he makes this requirement and explain how his expectations could serve a student looking into other areas of study. Plan an order for learning the skills that Augustine recommends for responsible Scriptural interpretation and explain why you would follow the courses in that order.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)