|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Augustine use the items of his example to illustrate his distinction?
2. What is the nature of the second important distinction Augustine identifies in Book One?
3. Who does Augustine suggest has the ability to know the Truth?
4. What is the first important distinction that Augustine makes in Book One?
5. What is Augustine's perception of God's dispensation of "special gifts" of interpreting Scripture?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Augustine, how are words as signs difficult to understand?
2. What is a point that Augustine makes about the love of God that confronts his critics that claim "special gifts" needed to interpret scripture?
3. According to Augustine, for whom are written commands in Scripture intended?
4. What does Augustine recommend to the pastor who cannot acquire the skill of rhetoric?
5. What does Augustine claim an interpreter must consider regarding the author of Scripture to make a correct interpretation?
6. How does Augustine require that a speaker treat Scriptural interpretation?
7. Augustine supports students learning in a certain human gathering. What are these human gatherings called and what can students get from them that they cannot get from "special gifts"?
8. What does Augustine identify as a trope and how does it affect interpretation of Scripture?
9. How does Cicero detail an orator speaking in proportion with the gravity of the subject matter?
10. Why does Augustine suggest that Christians should learn to use rhetoric?
Essay Topic 1
Augustine's writings on Christian conduct and practices are still influential today. Identify three principles he articulates in "On Christian Doctrine" that you consider important in Christian practices today. Write why you consider them important, what sort of affect the application of these principles have on Christianity and general society, and how you plan to implement these principles in your life.
Essay Topic 2
Book Four focuses on the significance of rhetorical skill in the defense of Scriptural interpretation, yet Augustine chooses not to teach rhetoric and advises his students to study people who are effective rhetoricians. Compare learning rhetorical skill from a textbook to learning it directly from someone who demonstrates the gifts for using rhetoric effectively. Choose someone you know to be a public speaker and identify techniques that person uses to effectively communicate with an audience and how you could apply their style to your deliveries.
Essay Topic 3
Augustine wrote of the unchangeable nature of Truth and Wisdom, yet many of the most useful things for learning today, (computers, smart phones, mp3 storage devices, the Internet) change at a rapid pace. Compare learning from Truth and Wisdom. Explain how things that are used for learning today can be used to validate what Augustine defines as Truth and Wisdom, as well as how they can be misused to lead someone away from those virtues.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)