|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the second type of criticism that Augustine suggests "On Christian Doctrine" would face?
2. What setting does Augustine recommend for sound Scriptural learning?
3. What is the problem for the critics that Augustine addresses in the Preface when they choose to teach?
4. What is Augustine's perception of God's dispensation of "special gifts" of interpreting Scripture?
5. In approaching this distinction, what is Augustine's first focus in Book One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the tasks of the orator according to Cicero?
2. What does Augustine identify as a trope and how does it affect interpretation of Scripture?
3. How many types of criticism does Augustine predict he will face over "On Christian Doctrine"?
4. What three virtues do students need to teach Scripture?
5. What categories does Augustine use to define spheres of natural knowledge?
6. What does Augustine identify as an important consideration when determining how many ideas words or phrases from Scripture contain?
7. What does Augustine identify as the two types of passages interpreted from Scripture?
8. What does Augustine claim is one of the causes of a sign's ambiguity?
9. According to Augustine, how are words as signs difficult to understand?
10. What does Augustine recommend to the pastor who cannot acquire the skill of rhetoric?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augustine warns that coveting negates Christian love. Explain coveting as a motivation and identify how covetousness will motivate someone to take actions that appear to be similar to Christian love. Conclude your explanation with the consequences of a covetous individual misusing the acts of Christian love to the person he/she uses them upon, the person who commits those false acts, and to the image of Christian love.
Essay Topic 2
Compare lifestyles from the Old Testament (2,000 B.C.-500 B.C.), life in the late Roman Empire during the life of Augustine (354 A.D.-430 A.D.), and during the 21st Century. Write an analysis of how life in the Roman Empire of Augustine is similar to Old Testament times and how it is similar to the America of the 21st Century. Conclude with details of difficulties for a modern student to has for relating to the culture and life of the Old Testament and life in Augustine's Roman empire and steps a modern student would have to take to overcome those difficulties.
Essay Topic 3
Augustine begins training his students to interpret scripture with an examination of "things." He differentiates "things" that are to be used from things that are to be enjoyed. Use an example that Augustine used in "On Christian Doctrine" to make a Venn diagram comparing things that are used with things enjoyed. Write an essay on your diagram and identify the standard that Augustine uses to determine how things are to be used and enjoyed properly. Conclude the essay with the steps you would have to take to use and enjoy things based on Augustine's standards.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)