|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Augustine recommend to avoid the negative influences on individual thought?
2. What basic fact do the critics discussed in the Preface ignore by discounting teaching from Augustine and others?
3. What was the third type of criticism that Augustine suggests "On Christian Doctrine" would face?
4. What are the two primary reasons that Augustine devotes his time to those questions?
5. In approaching this distinction, what is Augustine's first focus in Book One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Augustine claim are the two types of signs and how are they defined?
2. What does Augustine identify as a trope and how does it affect interpretation of Scripture?
3. What does Augustine focus on in Book Four?
4. What is a point that Augustine makes about the love of God that confronts his critics that claim "special gifts" needed to interpret scripture?
5. According to Augustine, how are words as signs difficult to understand?
6. Why does Augustine believe that God will aid him in his teaching about learning and communicating Scripture?
7. What does Augustine identify as the two types of passages interpreted from Scripture?
8. To what sect of Christianity did Tyconius belong and and why is it ironic that Augustine references his rules of interpretation?
9. What does Augustine write that God uses to teach men and how does that source achieve God's purpose?
10. What are the seven rules of interpretation that Augustine used from Tyconius' book of Rules?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book Two, Augustine identified challenges of translating the original languages of Scripture into the Roman-Latin language of his day. Explain the difficulty with translating older English versions of the Bible, such as the King James version, into the type of terms and phrases that students use today. How can translating the Bible from old English style to modern jargon be done while preserving the integrity of Scripture?
Essay Topic 2
Augustine requires his students to learn history and ancient languages in order to properly interpret Scripture. Identify and detail three reasons he makes this requirement and explain how his expectations could serve a student looking into other areas of study. Plan an order for learning the skills that Augustine recommends for responsible Scriptural interpretation and explain why you would follow the courses in that order.
Essay Topic 3
Augustine claims that reading Scripture by itself is sufficient to tea scripture. If this is so, please defend reasons for a student devoting themselves to the time for study to learn to interpret Scripture. Does Augustine's claim about the self-sufficiency of Scripture support those who claim "special gifts" are needed to interpret Scripture? In your opinion is the type of work Augustine requires to interpret Scripture more necessary today than in Augustine's time or less so? Why?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)