|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Scriptural defense does Augustine use for encouraging critics to consider the validity of "On Christian Doctrine"?
2. What does Augustine consider as God's typical means of delivering His illumination?
3. What is the logical inconsistency of the critics that Augustine confronts in the Preface?
4. According to Augustine, how should a student be affected as he/she becomes proficient in interpreting Scripture?
5. Why does Augustine expect the method of accessing knowledge he lacks to be successful?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two subject matters into which Augustine divides the four books in "Of Christian Doctrine"?
2. How does Augustine suggest interpretations of Scripture should affect the subject about which he wants to answer many questions and how should that affect the student seeking to interpret Scripture?
3. What Christian virtue does Augustine claim that can keep negative traits in check?
4. What does Augustine recommend should be the lifestyle and focus of the Christian speaker?
5. What does Augustine recommend as the best method for acquiring rhetorical skill?
6. What does Augustine identify as a trope and how does it affect interpretation of Scripture?
7. What topic does Augustine address in Book Three?
8. Why does Augustine suggest that Christians should learn to use rhetoric?
9. What are some types of tropes that Augustine discusses?
10. What are the tasks of the orator according to Cicero?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augustine devotes the preface to answering criticism he expects to receive from a sect known as the Donatists. Compare Augustine's position to what you know of the Donatists from the preface (those who believe that "special gifts" were necessary to interpret Scripture). What are the benefits of the two beliefs? What are the disadvantages of each? Which system of interpretation do you consider more beneficial to the general public and particularly to the growth and development of the Christian Church. Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Augustine requires his students to learn history and ancient languages in order to properly interpret Scripture. Identify and detail three reasons he makes this requirement and explain how his expectations could serve a student looking into other areas of study. Plan an order for learning the skills that Augustine recommends for responsible Scriptural interpretation and explain why you would follow the courses in that order.
Essay Topic 3
Augustine's writings on Christian conduct and practices are still influential today. Identify three principles he articulates in "On Christian Doctrine" that you consider important in Christian practices today. Write why you consider them important, what sort of affect the application of these principles have on Christianity and general society, and how you plan to implement these principles in your life.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)