|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first type of criticism Augustine suggests his work "On Christian Doctrine" would face?
(a) Criticism that his moral demands would be restricted to pagan converts.
(b) Criticism from those who cannot grasp his teaching.
(c) Criticism that his demands for linguistic studies were too exclusive.
(d) Criticism that blending Greek and Christian philosophies was heretical.
2. What is the first important distinction that Augustine makes in Book One?
(a) The distinction between the Christian conception of love and the pagan conception of love.
(b) The distinction between "enjoy" and "use."
(c) The distinction between discovering what Scripture teaches and communicating it.
(d) The distinction between learning and teaching.
3. Who does Augustine suggest has the ability to know the Truth?
(a) All minds.
(b) All minds joined in community.
(c) Minds God endowed with special gifts.
(d) Illuminated minds.
4. Why does Augustine expect the method of accessing knowledge he lacks to be successful?
(a) Augustine believes that God will give to him because God gives to those who "give away," as does Augustine when he teaches.
(b) Augustine believes God guides those who gather in Christian community.
(c) Augustine has great respect for other learned Priests within his sphere.
(d) Augustine is familiar with the classification system of the library at Hippo Regius.
5. What setting does Augustine recommend for sound Scriptural learning?
(a) Human communities.
(b) A private audience with a well-trained Priest.
(c) A properly sanctioned site of Scriptural education.
(d) An ecclesiastical structure.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Augustine, for what reason should one love oneself?
2. What is Augustine's attitude toward those who have a "special gift" for interpretation from God?
3. What does Augustine use to illustrate a thing to be used?
4. What does Augustine consider as God's typical means of delivering His illumination?
5. What does Augustine reason is the consequence to human teaching if learning comes from Divine gifts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Augustine's focus in Book One?
2. Why does Augustine suggest that Christians should learn to use rhetoric?
3. What question does Augustine raise to those who believe that Scriptural interpretation can only be learned from "special gifts"?
4. What tool does Augustine write that a pastor can use to help make Scripture understandable?
5. What is the illustration Augustine uses to show the difference between things "enjoyed" and things "used"?
6. What does Augustine write that God uses to teach men and how does that source achieve God's purpose?
7. What is a technique that Augustine uses to determine the meaning of a passage that cannot be discovered by simply reading the passage?
8. What are the seven rules of interpretation that Augustine used from Tyconius' book of Rules?
9. What term does Augustine apply to the subjects he recommends for study to learn Scriptural interpretation and why does he use this term?
10. What inference can be made from the extensive training that Augustine recommends to interpret Scripture?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)