|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Augustine expect the method of accessing knowledge he lacks to be successful?
(a) Augustine believes God guides those who gather in Christian community.
(b) Augustine believes that God will give to him because God gives to those who "give away," as does Augustine when he teaches.
(c) Augustine has great respect for other learned Priests within his sphere.
(d) Augustine is familiar with the classification system of the library at Hippo Regius.
2. What does Augustine use to illustrate a thing to be used?
(a) A delicious meal used to to bring friends together.
(b) A friend who has the special gift to cook a delicious meal.
(c) Community that develops among friends during a delicious meal.
(d) A pot for cooking a delicious meal.
3. What does Augustine identify as the relationship between all other things and the object of ultimate worship?
(a) All other things are used as a means to enjoy the Trinity.
(b) All other things can be used for God's purposes through the application of special gifts.
(c) Other things are intended to be used as a means of exhibiting Christian love.
(d) Other things are intended to be used as a means of exhibiting Christian love.
4. What other subject does Augustine addresses in Book Three and Book Four?
(a) Understanding how to learn from Scripture.
(b) Understanding how to convey what one learned from Scripture.
(c) Understanding how scripture develops community.
(d) Teaching the doctrines of Scripture.
5. What was the second type of criticism that Augustine suggests "On Christian Doctrine" would face?
(a) Criticism from those who face punishment if they try to apply it.
(b) Criticism from those who refuse or are unable to apply it.
(c) Criticism from those who claim that Augustine relied too much on training and not enough on divine guidance.
(d) Criticism from those who claim too many Christians could not access proper training.
Short Answer Questions
1. In approaching this distinction, what is Augustine's first focus in Book One?
2. Of these influences on personal thought, which does Augustine claim Scripture teaches can lead a Christian to positive patterns?
3. What are the three things Augustine identifies as how God inspires His children?
4. Based on Augustine's Preface, what is the perception of critics toward learning?
5. What is Augustine's perception of God's dispensation of "special gifts" of interpreting Scripture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the illustration Augustine uses to show the difference between things "enjoyed" and things "used"?
2. What are the criticisms that Augustine predicts he will face over "On Christian Doctrine"?
3. Why does Augustine suggest that the critics he focuses on in the Preface do not believe his teaching is necessary?
4. What is Augustine's focus in Book One?
5. According to Augustine, how are words as signs difficult to understand?
6. What does Augustine recommend should be the lifestyle and focus of the Christian speaker?
7. What are the seven rules of interpretation that Augustine used from Tyconius' book of Rules?
8. What does Augustine identify as a trope and how does it affect interpretation of Scripture?
9. What Christian virtue does Augustine claim that can keep negative traits in check?
10. What does Augustine recommend to the pastor who cannot acquire the skill of rhetoric?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)