|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first important distinction that Augustine makes in Book One?
(a) The distinction between the Christian conception of love and the pagan conception of love.
(b) The distinction between "enjoy" and "use."
(c) The distinction between discovering what Scripture teaches and communicating it.
(d) The distinction between learning and teaching.
2. In Augustine's example, how can something used also be enjoyed?
(a) The shine and sturdiness of a pot or pan can be enjoyed.
(b) The community that develops for a delicious meal can be enjoyed.
(c) Friends who gather for community can enjoy the delicious meal.
(d) A friend with the special gift to cook a delicious meal can be enjoyed for their company.
3. What is the step that Augustine identifies an individual should take before entering into a proper relationship with God?
(a) An individual must repent of their sins and be baptized.
(b) An individual must sell all possessions and give the money to the Priest.
(c) An individual's eyes must be purged and God's plan and healing must be followed.
(d) An individual must leave their mother and father and cleave to the Church.
4. What does Augustine use to illustrate a thing to be used?
(a) A friend who has the special gift to cook a delicious meal.
(b) Community that develops among friends during a delicious meal.
(c) A delicious meal used to to bring friends together.
(d) A pot for cooking a delicious meal.
5. Upon what does Augustine focus most of his efforts in the Preface of "On Christian Doctrine"?
(a) Criticism from those who refuse or are unable to apply it.
(b) Criticism from those who claim that Augustine relied too much on training and not enough on divine guidance.
(c) Criticism that his demands for linguistic studies were too exclusive.
(d) Criticism from those who believe it is not needed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main difference between the system of learning that Augustine advocates and that advocated by the critics he focuses on in the Preface?
2. Augustine endeavors to answer many questions about what subject in Book One?
3. What does Augustine consider to be the ultimate thing to be enjoyed?
4. How does Augustine use the items of his example to illustrate his distinction?
5. What items or situations does Augustine use to illustrate his distinction of things?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Augustine's view of "special gifts"?
2. What are the criticisms that Augustine predicts he will face over "On Christian Doctrine"?
3. According to Augustine, for whom are written commands in Scripture intended?
4. What relationship does Augustine write humans should have with God? What does Augustine write must humans do before they can enter this relationship?
5. What does Augustine require that Christian speakers should avoid, but focus on?
6. What are the first two points that Augustine uses to begin his refutation of the critics he focuses upon in the Preface?
7. What tool does Augustine write that a pastor can use to help make Scripture understandable?
8. What three virtues do students need to teach Scripture?
9. What does Augustine claim is one of the causes of a sign's ambiguity?
10. Why does Augustine begin his differentiation of the items that students must learn in the fashion which he does?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)