|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what prediction does Augustine start "On Christian Doctrine"?
(a) Christians will transform society through piety and rhetorical skill.
(b) Christians will gather around a uniform doctrine.
(c) The work will face three kinds of criticism.
(d) God will assure that the Church will become the primary social force in the world.
2. What does Augustine use to illustrate a thing to be enjoyed?
(a) The pot for cooking a delicious meal.
(b) A delicious meal.
(c) The gathering of friends who come to share a delicious meal.
(d) The special gift that enables one to cook a delicious meal.
3. According to Augustine, what are competing influences on an individual's thinking?
(a) Laborers and land owners.
(b) Husbands and wives.
(c) The devil and angels.
(d) Priests and Rabbis.
4. What was the second type of criticism that Augustine suggests "On Christian Doctrine" would face?
(a) Criticism from those who face punishment if they try to apply it.
(b) Criticism from those who claim too many Christians could not access proper training.
(c) Criticism from those who refuse or are unable to apply it.
(d) Criticism from those who claim that Augustine relied too much on training and not enough on divine guidance.
5. What is the nature of the second important distinction Augustine identifies in Book One?
(a) Encouragement is an exhortation, but not every exhortation is an encouragement.
(b) A sign is always a thing, but not all things are signs.
(c) Everything that is enjoyed is used, but not everything that is used is enjoyed.
(d) Christian love can be found within pagans, but pagan love is antithetical to Christian love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main difference between the system of learning that Augustine advocates and that advocated by the critics he focuses on in the Preface?
2. What does Augustine write is incompatible with love?
3. What is an important distinction that Augustine teaches students to understand through three Books of "On Christian Doctrine?
4. What items or situations does Augustine use to illustrate his distinction of things?
5. What does Augustine identify as the relationship between all other things and the object of ultimate worship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Augustine claim is one of the causes of a sign's ambiguity?
2. Why does Augustine suggest that Scripture reports the great sins of holy men?
3. What does Augustine identify as the two types of passages interpreted from Scripture?
4. What does Augustine claim an interpreter must consider regarding the author of Scripture to make a correct interpretation?
5. Why does Augustine suggest that Christians should learn to use rhetoric?
6. What tool does Augustine write that a pastor can use to help make Scripture understandable?
7. Why does Augustine believe that God will aid him in his teaching about learning and communicating Scripture?
8. How does Augustine require that a speaker treat Scriptural interpretation?
9. About what subject does Augustine want to answer many questions in Book One and for what two reasons does he want to answer them?
10. What does Augustine identifies as three things that students need to use to develop responsible interpretations of Scripture?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)