|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book Two.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two primary reasons that Augustine devotes his time to those questions?
(a) God's omnipotence establishes His authority over creation and judgment.
(b) The two commandments of Christianity to love God and to love one's neighbor.
(c) The Christian conception of Christ's deity explains His resurrection and authority over forgiveness.
(d) Because Scriptural infallibility affirms God's role in miracles and prophesy.
2. What is a requirement of Augustine's disciples?
(a) To understand God's revelation.
(b) To use their "inner eye."
(c) To identify signs and their role in Scriptural learning.
(d) To use their "special gift."
3. What does Augustine suggest a conception of Christian love will serve for the student?
(a) It is integral to applying the principles of community.
(b) It will help the student understand God's motivation for interacting with creation.
(c) It will guide the student to become a teacher.
(d) It is integral to proper Scriptural interpretation.
4. To what does Augustine compare his distinction of things?
(a) To that between God and Lucifer.
(b) To that between critics who do not understand and critics who believe in "special gifts."
(c) To that between human nature and original sin.
(d) To that between instrumental and intrinsic good.
5. Why does Augustine claim that words as signs are difficult to understand?
(a) Because words as signs are only understood within a scriptural context.
(b) Because God created with words and wants believers to know their impact.
(c) Because God provides Scriptural complexity to satisfy a hard-working mind.
(d) Because God inspires believers to master tongues and interpret signs.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Augustine in Book Two, in order for the student to become an effective teacher, what two skills must the student master?
2. Who does Augustine suggest has the ability to know the Truth?
3. With what prediction does Augustine start "On Christian Doctrine"?
4. What are the primary possessions of the student of Scripture, according to Augustine in Book Two?
5. What was the third type of criticism that Augustine suggests "On Christian Doctrine" would face?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)