|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book One.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Augustine's attitude toward those who have a "special gift" for interpretation from God?
(a) Such "gifts" were exhausted at Pentecost.
(b) Augustine considers himself as one.
(c) God will appoint them to a position of authority.
(d) They are blessed.
2. What are the three things that Augustine claims that interpretations of Scripture should build up?
(a) Special gifts, community, and signs.
(b) The inner eye, love, and illuminated truth.
(c) Hope, signs, and the inner eye.
(d) Faith, hope and love.
3. What was the first type of criticism Augustine suggests his work "On Christian Doctrine" would face?
(a) Criticism from those who cannot grasp his teaching.
(b) Criticism that blending Greek and Christian philosophies was heretical.
(c) Criticism that his demands for linguistic studies were too exclusive.
(d) Criticism that his moral demands would be restricted to pagan converts.
4. What does Augustine use to illustrate a thing to be used?
(a) A friend who has the special gift to cook a delicious meal.
(b) A delicious meal used to to bring friends together.
(c) A pot for cooking a delicious meal.
(d) Community that develops among friends during a delicious meal.
5. What is the first important distinction that Augustine makes in Book One?
(a) The distinction between "enjoy" and "use."
(b) The distinction between discovering what Scripture teaches and communicating it.
(c) The distinction between the Christian conception of love and the pagan conception of love.
(d) The distinction between learning and teaching.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Augustine focuses on one of the types of criticism he expects to receive, what does he suggest to the reader?
2. In approaching this distinction, what is Augustine's first focus in Book One?
3. What does Augustine encourage his critics to remember in the Preface?
4. What Scriptural defense does Augustine use for encouraging critics to consider the validity of "On Christian Doctrine"?
5. Who does Augustine suggest has the ability to know the Truth?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)