|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book One.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Augustine wrote that the critics he mainly focuses on in the Preface base their positions on what belief?
(a) Fear of losing their influence.
(b) That they already understand Scripture.
(c) A misapplication of Scripture.
(d) Resistance to accept new ideas.
2. How does Augustine use the items of his example to illustrate his distinction?
(a) That Lucifer sought to discredit Job's faith, but God realized the depth of Job's convictions.
(b) That critics who do not understand show a lack of interest to discover, but those who believe in special gifts use a false faith to rationalize their lack of interest.
(c) The meal is enjoyed, but the pot is used.
(d) That Adam made the choice of sin, but Cain responded out of the impulse passed to him from Adam's choice.
3. How does Augustine relate Truth and God?
(a) God created truth, but humans misuse things to reject truth.
(b) God creates things and Truth, but the way humans use things and accept Truth determines whether humans enjoy the experience.
(c) Truth is based upon an unchanging standard and God is that unchanging standard.
(d) God creates things and things can be used to prove truth.
4. What are the three things Augustine identifies as how God inspires His children?
(a) His death, resurrection, and promise of return.
(b) Signs, things, and enjoyment.
(c) His illuminated truths, special gifts, and signs.
(d) The promise of His return, His illuminated truths, and signs.
5. How does Augustine describe humans?
(a) Humans are things that can "enjoy," love and "use" things.
(b) Humans are above things because they use them.
(c) Humans are things that use language as a symbol.
(d) Humans are things that are subject to the laws of God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the step that Augustine identifies an individual should take before entering into a proper relationship with God?
2. What does Augustine conclude are the only things that can be enjoyed?
3. What does Augustine claim to be the central law of love and the message of Christianity?
4. What is the first important distinction that Augustine makes in Book One?
5. Based on Augustine's Preface, what is the perception of critics toward learning?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)