|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who worked as the head of the Beijing Liaison Office?
2. What item did China export to Russia?
3. Zhou's critics had argued that he was too ____.
4. Which Russian premier made the visit?
5. How many years had gone by since the U.N. had passed a resolution regarding China and Korea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Deng's steps in the modernization of China? How did they compare to Mao's plans?
2. How did the changes in government personnel change Sino-United States. relationships?
3. When did Deng return to China? What were his next steps?
4. Kissinger discusses the death of two major Chinese leaders. Who were they? When did they die?
5. What does Kissinger say about foreign policy and the actions of the statesmen? How did Mao fit into this mold?
6. What caused the Chinese to confront Communism?
7. When did dialogue between the U.S. and China resume? What was the aim of the meeting?
8. What did Kissinger say about his first meeting with Mao?
9. Mao had two main choices of leadership. What were they?
10. Who is considered to be one of the greatest diplomats of the 19th century? What theory does Kissinger refer to when speaking about the man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The United Nations was formed to work as an intermediary between countries and to create a body through which these countries could communicate and, hopefully, cooperate on global issues. Write an essay on the United Nations, its role in Sino and United States negotiations and how it has changed since its inception.
Essay Topic 2
What is your opinion of the history of China as presented by Henry Kissinger? Do you feel that Kissinger was able to be objective in his presentation of the historical and cultural facts about China? Do you think another person might have been able to present the history in a more objective light? Would the history be as accurate? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in details Deng's modernization of China. How did Deng make China a viable country in the global market place? What were his plans? Were all of them successful? What were the biggest changes? How have Deng's changes affected today's China? What other things might Deng have accomplished if he had stayed in office? Do you agree with Deng's choice to retire?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)