|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the communique that established an alliance between the U.S. and China?
2. Who worked as the Assistant Secretary of State for Eastern Affairs?
3. What item did China export to Russia?
4. In 1967 Nixon published an article in which publication?
5. In what year did this event occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did China change in the first two decades after it became a Republic?
2. After Mao announced his illness and retirement, China was in danger. Why?
3. What does Kissinger say about the ideology of China and Russia at this time?
4. What was the relationship between China and Taiwan at this time?
5. Mao had two main choices of leadership. What were they?
6. Why did Bismarck fail to capture the attention of the United States and China?
7. How did the changes in government personnel change Sino-United States. relationships?
8. Mao presented a new sense of warmth toward the United States Where was this most noticeable? How did Mao now present the relationship between China and the United States?
9. What were Deng's steps in the modernization of China? How did they compare to Mao's plans?
10. In 1965, Mao began to show a change in attitude toward America. What does Kissinger say about Mao's new stance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an opinion on the future of the United States economy and how it is/will be affected by China. How has the United States relied on China in recent years during times of economic downturn? How might China help the United States during periods of economic recovery? What might China want in return? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How might world order have changed if Japan and China had formed into one super power? How might the world order have changed if the United States, Russia, and China were able to remain a triumvirate? What is the current relationship between China and Japan? Which is currently the strongest country? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is your opinion of the history of China as presented by Henry Kissinger? Do you feel that Kissinger was able to be objective in his presentation of the historical and cultural facts about China? Do you think another person might have been able to present the history in a more objective light? Would the history be as accurate? Explain.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)