|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal _____ had a cultural and sentimental interest in Tibet.
2. The move by the _____ Fleet was considered to be a major offensive.
3. At the end of the ___ War, it was expected that Mao might seek respite.
4. Zhou's critics had argued that he was too ____.
5. Which mountain range is on the western frontier of China?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mao had two main choices of leadership. What were they?
2. What was Mao's opinion on Communism in the Chinese culture? What movements did it create?
3. Zhou would not last long in the political arena. Why?
4. Mao presented a new sense of warmth toward the United States Where was this most noticeable? How did Mao now present the relationship between China and the United States?
5. Kissinger says that Mao liked to speak in parables. What was Mao's message?
6. What does Kissinger say about foreign policy and the actions of the statesmen? How did Mao fit into this mold?
7. Who is considered to be one of the greatest diplomats of the 19th century? What theory does Kissinger refer to when speaking about the man?
8. When did dialogue between the U.S. and China resume? What was the aim of the meeting?
9. What caused the Chinese to confront Communism?
10. What was the relationship between China and Taiwan at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If a world order had not been introduced into China in the mid 1800s, how long do you think it would have taken for it to be introduced? Why did the Chinese leaders say that it would take 100 years to develop a strong relationship with the United States? What reservations did the Emperor have about forming relationships with the outside world? Do you think it is possible to run an isolated country in today's world?
Essay Topic 2
Sun Tzu is one of the most legendary Chinese figures, particularly when it comes to the Art of War. Write an essay on Sun Tzu, his teachings and beliefs, and his impact on war in China.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the long and illustrious career of Henry Kissinger. How effective was Kissinger as Secretary of State? What are the man's opinions about the modern state of affairs between the United States and China? What else has Kissinger done in government? When did he retire? What other books have been written by Kissinger?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)