|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Kissinger meet Mao?
2. Who worked as the Assistant Secretary of State for Eastern Affairs?
3. Lu Hsing-chi said that the country was in a(n) ____ condition.
4. According to Mao, the world is not ____.
5. The _____ Military Commission was responsible for ordering an end to Chinese withdrawals.
Short Essay Questions
1. Zhou would not last long in the political arena. Why?
2. Mao was referred to as both a revolutionary and a pragmatist. How did Mao typically behave in a political sense?
3. What does Kissinger say about the ideology of China and Russia at this time?
4. Kissinger says that Mao liked to speak in parables. What was Mao's message?
5. Mao presented a new sense of warmth toward the United States Where was this most noticeable? How did Mao now present the relationship between China and the United States?
6. Why did Bismarck fail to capture the attention of the United States and China?
7. In 1965, Mao began to show a change in attitude toward America. What does Kissinger say about Mao's new stance?
8. Mao had two main choices of leadership. What were they?
9. What did Kissinger say about his first meeting with Mao?
10. How did China change in the first two decades after it became a Republic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
China and the United States were trying to work closely with the Soviet Union during the downfall of Communism. Did the U.S. and China know that Communism was about the fall? Did they know that the Soviet Union would soon cease to exist? How would they be able to work with the new Russia? How did it affect foreign policy and globalization?
Essay Topic 2
How might the Sino-American relationship have developed or changed if Richard Nixon had not been forced to resign? What did the Chinese think of the impeachment? How did it affect China's view of the United States? What was Kissinger's role in Sino-American relations after Nixon left office?
Essay Topic 3
Write an opinion on the future of the United States economy and how it is/will be affected by China. How has the United States relied on China in recent years during times of economic downturn? How might China help the United States during periods of economic recovery? What might China want in return? Explain.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)