|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Russia promised to back up China under the Treaty of ______ and Alliance.
2. How old was Mao at this time?
3. Who worked as the head of the Beijing Liaison Office?
4. Kissinger and Mao discussed the importance of Japan's feelings of ______.
5. When did Eisenhower make his first State of the Union address?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kissinger say about the ideology of China and Russia at this time?
2. How did the changes in government personnel change Sino-United States. relationships?
3. What changed in Russia in the mid-1950s? What caused the change?
4. Zhou would not last long in the political arena. Why?
5. What were Deng's steps in the modernization of China? How did they compare to Mao's plans?
6. Mao presented a new sense of warmth toward the United States Where was this most noticeable? How did Mao now present the relationship between China and the United States?
7. What was the relationship between China and Taiwan at this time?
8. In 1965, Mao began to show a change in attitude toward America. What does Kissinger say about Mao's new stance?
9. Mao was referred to as both a revolutionary and a pragmatist. How did Mao typically behave in a political sense?
10. Who stepped in after Zhou bowed out of the political race?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your opinion of the history of China as presented by Henry Kissinger? Do you feel that Kissinger was able to be objective in his presentation of the historical and cultural facts about China? Do you think another person might have been able to present the history in a more objective light? Would the history be as accurate? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Sun Tzu is one of the most legendary Chinese figures, particularly when it comes to the Art of War. Write an essay on Sun Tzu, his teachings and beliefs, and his impact on war in China.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mao. Why is Mao a controversial figure? What was Kissinger's opinion of Mao? How did the Chinese people view Mao? Why was he called "Chairman Mao?" Were Kissinger's personal feelings different from his professional view of Mao? What was the relationship between Kissinger and Mao? Discuss the same questions regarding Kissinger and Zhou.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)