|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which mountain range is on the western frontier of China?
2. In 1967 Nixon published an article in which publication?
3. Which group went up against the offshore islands?
4. In Indochina, the French colonial project left all but which country with contested borders?
5. In which year did Zhou disappear from the political forum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mao was referred to as both a revolutionary and a pragmatist. How did Mao typically behave in a political sense?
2. When did Deng return to China? What were his next steps?
3. What does Kissinger say about foreign policy and the actions of the statesmen? How did Mao fit into this mold?
4. What was the relationship between China and Taiwan at this time?
5. Mao had two main choices of leadership. What were they?
6. In 1965, Mao began to show a change in attitude toward America. What does Kissinger say about Mao's new stance?
7. What did Kissinger say about his first meeting with Mao?
8. How did Mao combat his weakened position in the triumvirate?
9. Who stepped in after Zhou bowed out of the political race?
10. What were Deng's steps in the modernization of China? How did they compare to Mao's plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How might world order have changed if Japan and China had formed into one super power? How might the world order have changed if the United States, Russia, and China were able to remain a triumvirate? What is the current relationship between China and Japan? Which is currently the strongest country? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
China and the United States were trying to work closely with the Soviet Union during the downfall of Communism. Did the U.S. and China know that Communism was about the fall? Did they know that the Soviet Union would soon cease to exist? How would they be able to work with the new Russia? How did it affect foreign policy and globalization?
Essay Topic 3
China always saw itself as a superior country in both power and culture. Examine this mentality. What gave China the impression that it was superior? Was it superior? How did it show this superiority over its enemies? How did other countries view this standpoint? Explain.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)