|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1967 Nixon published an article in which publication?
2. In what year did the Russian premier visit Mao in China?
3. Mao's forces faced America in the ____ Strait.
4. Russia promised to back up China under the Treaty of ______ and Alliance.
5. Who worked as the Assistant Secretary of State for Eastern Affairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the changes in government personnel change Sino-United States. relationships?
2. Mao had two main choices of leadership. What were they?
3. What does Kissinger say about the ideology of China and Russia at this time?
4. Mao presented a new sense of warmth toward the United States Where was this most noticeable? How did Mao now present the relationship between China and the United States?
5. What was the relationship between China and Taiwan at this time?
6. Why did Bismarck fail to capture the attention of the United States and China?
7. How did Mao combat his weakened position in the triumvirate?
8. Kissinger says that Mao liked to speak in parables. What was Mao's message?
9. Who stepped in after Zhou bowed out of the political race?
10. When did dialogue between the U.S. and China resume? What was the aim of the meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
China and the United States were trying to work closely with the Soviet Union during the downfall of Communism. Did the U.S. and China know that Communism was about the fall? Did they know that the Soviet Union would soon cease to exist? How would they be able to work with the new Russia? How did it affect foreign policy and globalization?
Essay Topic 2
Mao and other Chinese leaders focused heavily on the nomadic territories to the north. Why were border wars so important? How did the presence of the nomads help/hinder the conflict between China and the Soviet Union? Who won the conflict?
Essay Topic 3
If a world order had not been introduced into China in the mid 1800s, how long do you think it would have taken for it to be introduced? Why did the Chinese leaders say that it would take 100 years to develop a strong relationship with the United States? What reservations did the Emperor have about forming relationships with the outside world? Do you think it is possible to run an isolated country in today's world?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)