|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name given to China's effort to support and strengthen its economy?
2. Beijing and ___ had opposing views of the Chinese identity.
3. Which Russian premier made the visit?
4. Drew Middleton worked for which newspaper?
5. Mao's maneuvers were often said to be ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. When did dialogue between the U.S. and China resume? What was the aim of the meeting?
2. Who is considered to be one of the greatest diplomats of the 19th century? What theory does Kissinger refer to when speaking about the man?
3. Mao presented a new sense of warmth toward the United States Where was this most noticeable? How did Mao now present the relationship between China and the United States?
4. Who stepped in after Zhou bowed out of the political race?
5. What caused the Chinese to confront Communism?
6. Why did Bismarck fail to capture the attention of the United States and China?
7. How did Mao combat his weakened position in the triumvirate?
8. How did the changes in government personnel change Sino-United States. relationships?
9. What was the relationship between China and Taiwan at this time?
10. What does Kissinger say about foreign policy and the actions of the statesmen? How did Mao fit into this mold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The United Nations was formed to work as an intermediary between countries and to create a body through which these countries could communicate and, hopefully, cooperate on global issues. Write an essay on the United Nations, its role in Sino and United States negotiations and how it has changed since its inception.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in details Deng's modernization of China. How did Deng make China a viable country in the global market place? What were his plans? Were all of them successful? What were the biggest changes? How have Deng's changes affected today's China? What other things might Deng have accomplished if he had stayed in office? Do you agree with Deng's choice to retire?
Essay Topic 3
China and the United States were trying to work closely with the Soviet Union during the downfall of Communism. Did the U.S. and China know that Communism was about the fall? Did they know that the Soviet Union would soon cease to exist? How would they be able to work with the new Russia? How did it affect foreign policy and globalization?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)