|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the communique that established an alliance between the U.S. and China?
2. In what year did the Qing Dynasty end?
3. Which mountain range is on the western frontier of China?
4. According to Mao, the world is not ____.
5. China saw the _____ Line as a symbol of British plans to loosen China's control over Tibet.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who stepped in after Zhou bowed out of the political race?
2. Why did Bismarck fail to capture the attention of the United States and China?
3. When did dialogue between the U.S. and China resume? What was the aim of the meeting?
4. What was Mao's opinion on Communism in the Chinese culture? What movements did it create?
5. Kissinger discusses the death of two major Chinese leaders. Who were they? When did they die?
6. What caused the Chinese to confront Communism?
7. After Mao announced his illness and retirement, China was in danger. Why?
8. What does Kissinger say about foreign policy and the actions of the statesmen? How did Mao fit into this mold?
9. Mao had two main choices of leadership. What were they?
10. What does Kissinger say about the ideology of China and Russia at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Confucius was a little-realized prophet, poet, and philosopher during his time. Posthumously, Confucius' words would help to form a nation that would become one of the world's superpowers. Discuss Confucius. What was his role in the Chinese government? How was Confucius' work viewed during his life? Why did it take generations for Confucius' work to become revered? How is it viewed today?
Essay Topic 2
How might the Sino-American relationship have developed or changed if Richard Nixon had not been forced to resign? What did the Chinese think of the impeachment? How did it affect China's view of the United States? What was Kissinger's role in Sino-American relations after Nixon left office?
Essay Topic 3
China and the United States were trying to work closely with the Soviet Union during the downfall of Communism. Did the U.S. and China know that Communism was about the fall? Did they know that the Soviet Union would soon cease to exist? How would they be able to work with the new Russia? How did it affect foreign policy and globalization?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)