|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mao's forces faced America in the ____ Strait.
2. Who was Zhang Chunqiao?
3. In which year did Kissinger first meet with Deng?
4. In what year was the treaty signed?
5. The _____ Military Commission was responsible for ordering an end to Chinese withdrawals.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kissinger say about the ideology of China and Russia at this time?
2. What were Deng's steps in the modernization of China? How did they compare to Mao's plans?
3. What does Kissinger say about foreign policy and the actions of the statesmen? How did Mao fit into this mold?
4. In 1965, Mao began to show a change in attitude toward America. What does Kissinger say about Mao's new stance?
5. Zhou would not last long in the political arena. Why?
6. How did the changes in government personnel change Sino-United States. relationships?
7. What caused the Chinese to confront Communism?
8. Who is considered to be one of the greatest diplomats of the 19th century? What theory does Kissinger refer to when speaking about the man?
9. When did Deng return to China? What were his next steps?
10. Mao was referred to as both a revolutionary and a pragmatist. How did Mao typically behave in a political sense?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
China always saw itself as a superior country in both power and culture. Examine this mentality. What gave China the impression that it was superior? Was it superior? How did it show this superiority over its enemies? How did other countries view this standpoint? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How might world order have changed if Japan and China had formed into one super power? How might the world order have changed if the United States, Russia, and China were able to remain a triumvirate? What is the current relationship between China and Japan? Which is currently the strongest country? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Confucius was a little-realized prophet, poet, and philosopher during his time. Posthumously, Confucius' words would help to form a nation that would become one of the world's superpowers. Discuss Confucius. What was his role in the Chinese government? How was Confucius' work viewed during his life? Why did it take generations for Confucius' work to become revered? How is it viewed today?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)