|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zhou was a die-hard Mao loyalist for ___ years.
2. Zhou had been stricken with which disease?
3. Which group went up against the offshore islands?
4. The Horizontal Line included all but which of the following?
5. How many years had gone by since the U.N. had passed a resolution regarding China and Korea?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did dialogue between the U.S. and China resume? What was the aim of the meeting?
2. Who is considered to be one of the greatest diplomats of the 19th century? What theory does Kissinger refer to when speaking about the man?
3. When did Deng return to China? What were his next steps?
4. In 1965, Mao began to show a change in attitude toward America. What does Kissinger say about Mao's new stance?
5. Zhou would not last long in the political arena. Why?
6. Why did Bismarck fail to capture the attention of the United States and China?
7. What caused the Chinese to confront Communism?
8. Mao had two main choices of leadership. What were they?
9. Kissinger says that Mao liked to speak in parables. What was Mao's message?
10. What was the relationship between China and Taiwan at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sun Tzu is one of the most legendary Chinese figures, particularly when it comes to the Art of War. Write an essay on Sun Tzu, his teachings and beliefs, and his impact on war in China.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the long and illustrious career of Henry Kissinger. How effective was Kissinger as Secretary of State? What are the man's opinions about the modern state of affairs between the United States and China? What else has Kissinger done in government? When did he retire? What other books have been written by Kissinger?
Essay Topic 3
Who do you think was the most effective leader in Chinese history? Which was the best? Which was the worst? How might a leader like Qing fare in the modern world? How do Mao, Qing, Deng and Zhou compare? Which was the most powerful? Which was the most successful?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)