|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is used to describe the agreement between President Ford and Soviet Premier Brezhnev?
2. The developing world was part of the ___ World(s) theory.
3. At the end of the ___ War, it was expected that Mao might seek respite.
4. Who worked as the head of the Beijing Liaison Office?
5. In which year did this person speak out as a member of the administration?
Short Essay Questions
1. Kissinger discusses the death of two major Chinese leaders. Who were they? When did they die?
2. When did dialogue between the U.S. and China resume? What was the aim of the meeting?
3. Who is considered to be one of the greatest diplomats of the 19th century? What theory does Kissinger refer to when speaking about the man?
4. After Mao announced his illness and retirement, China was in danger. Why?
5. Why did Bismarck fail to capture the attention of the United States and China?
6. What did Kissinger say about his first meeting with Mao?
7. Who stepped in after Zhou bowed out of the political race?
8. How did China change in the first two decades after it became a Republic?
9. What was the relationship between China and Taiwan at this time?
10. In 1965, Mao began to show a change in attitude toward America. What does Kissinger say about Mao's new stance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast China and Thailand regarding the Mandate of Heaven and autonomy. Where does Thailand currently stand on Communism?
Essay Topic 2
China and the United States were trying to work closely with the Soviet Union during the downfall of Communism. Did the U.S. and China know that Communism was about the fall? Did they know that the Soviet Union would soon cease to exist? How would they be able to work with the new Russia? How did it affect foreign policy and globalization?
Essay Topic 3
Mao and other Chinese leaders focused heavily on the nomadic territories to the north. Why were border wars so important? How did the presence of the nomads help/hinder the conflict between China and the Soviet Union? Who won the conflict?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)