|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Drew Middleton worked for which newspaper?
2. China saw the _____ Line as a symbol of British plans to loosen China's control over Tibet.
3. Which was not part of Mao's domestic agenda?
4. Where did the meeting between President Ford and Soviet Premier Brezhnev take place?
5. Vietnamese troops had infiltrated which location?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the relationship between China and Taiwan at this time?
2. Kissinger discusses the death of two major Chinese leaders. Who were they? When did they die?
3. What were Deng's steps in the modernization of China? How did they compare to Mao's plans?
4. What changed in Russia in the mid-1950s? What caused the change?
5. How did China change in the first two decades after it became a Republic?
6. After Mao announced his illness and retirement, China was in danger. Why?
7. Mao presented a new sense of warmth toward the United States Where was this most noticeable? How did Mao now present the relationship between China and the United States?
8. What did Kissinger say about his first meeting with Mao?
9. Why did Bismarck fail to capture the attention of the United States and China?
10. How did Mao combat his weakened position in the triumvirate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If a world order had not been introduced into China in the mid 1800s, how long do you think it would have taken for it to be introduced? Why did the Chinese leaders say that it would take 100 years to develop a strong relationship with the United States? What reservations did the Emperor have about forming relationships with the outside world? Do you think it is possible to run an isolated country in today's world?
Essay Topic 2
China always saw itself as a superior country in both power and culture. Examine this mentality. What gave China the impression that it was superior? Was it superior? How did it show this superiority over its enemies? How did other countries view this standpoint? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
How might world order have changed if Japan and China had formed into one super power? How might the world order have changed if the United States, Russia, and China were able to remain a triumvirate? What is the current relationship between China and Japan? Which is currently the strongest country? Explain.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)