|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Gang of ___ wanted to turn inward to gain new leadership.
2. Zhou had been stricken with which disease?
3. Who worked as the Assistant Secretary of State for Eastern Affairs?
4. The _____ Flowers movement was transformed into the "Anti-Rightist Campaign."
5. How old was Kissinger at this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kissinger say about the ideology of China and Russia at this time?
2. What changed in Russia in the mid-1950s? What caused the change?
3. What does Kissinger say about foreign policy and the actions of the statesmen? How did Mao fit into this mold?
4. Why did Bismarck fail to capture the attention of the United States and China?
5. What was the relationship between China and Taiwan at this time?
6. Mao was referred to as both a revolutionary and a pragmatist. How did Mao typically behave in a political sense?
7. After Mao announced his illness and retirement, China was in danger. Why?
8. What was Mao's opinion on Communism in the Chinese culture? What movements did it create?
9. Zhou would not last long in the political arena. Why?
10. Who stepped in after Zhou bowed out of the political race?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"A special feature of Chinese civilization is that it seems to have no beginning. It appears in history less as a conventional nation-state than a permanent natural phenomenon. In the tale of the Yellow Emperor, revered by many Chinese as the legendary founding ruler, China seems already to exist. When the Yellow Emperor appears in myth, Chinese civilization has fallen into chaos. Competing princes harass each other and the people, yet an enfeebled ruler fails to maintain order. Levying an army, the new hero pacifies the realm and is acclaimed as emperor." (Chap. 1, p. 20)
What is meant by this statement? Why is the Yellow Emperor seen as a myth? Why did China need a new hero? Why does this undocumented history make China special?
Essay Topic 2
How might the Sino-American relationship have developed or changed if Richard Nixon had not been forced to resign? What did the Chinese think of the impeachment? How did it affect China's view of the United States? What was Kissinger's role in Sino-American relations after Nixon left office?
Essay Topic 3
Confucius was a little-realized prophet, poet, and philosopher during his time. Posthumously, Confucius' words would help to form a nation that would become one of the world's superpowers. Discuss Confucius. What was his role in the Chinese government? How was Confucius' work viewed during his life? Why did it take generations for Confucius' work to become revered? How is it viewed today?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)