|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year did Kissinger first meet with Deng?
2. Russia promised to back up China under the Treaty of ______ and Alliance.
3. What was the role of Le Duc Tho?
4. What was the name given to China's effort to support and strengthen its economy?
5. Which country was most threatening in 1973?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1965, Mao began to show a change in attitude toward America. What does Kissinger say about Mao's new stance?
2. Mao presented a new sense of warmth toward the United States Where was this most noticeable? How did Mao now present the relationship between China and the United States?
3. How did China change in the first two decades after it became a Republic?
4. What does Kissinger say about the ideology of China and Russia at this time?
5. How did the changes in government personnel change Sino-United States. relationships?
6. Why did Bismarck fail to capture the attention of the United States and China?
7. How did Mao combat his weakened position in the triumvirate?
8. Kissinger says that Mao liked to speak in parables. What was Mao's message?
9. What did Kissinger say about his first meeting with Mao?
10. What was the relationship between China and Taiwan at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The United Nations was formed to work as an intermediary between countries and to create a body through which these countries could communicate and, hopefully, cooperate on global issues. Write an essay on the United Nations, its role in Sino and United States negotiations and how it has changed since its inception.
Essay Topic 2
Sun Tzu is one of the most legendary Chinese figures, particularly when it comes to the Art of War. Write an essay on Sun Tzu, his teachings and beliefs, and his impact on war in China.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast China and Thailand regarding the Mandate of Heaven and autonomy. Where does Thailand currently stand on Communism?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)