Prologue; Preface; Chapters 1-2
* Kissinger states his role as a diplomat to China.
* History of China is explored.
* Yellow Emperor is discussed.
* China was the first country to undertake naval exploration.
* Zheng He is introduced.
* China is ruled by the Mandate of Heaven.
* Confucius is introduced.
* China's tendency toward isolation and war are discussed.
* From Preeminence to Decline
* Wei Yuan's Blueprint: "Using Barbarians Against Barbarians," Learning Their Techniques
* The Erosion of Authority: Domestic Upheavals and the Challenge of Foreign Encroachments
* Managing Decline
* The Challenge of Japan
* The Boxer Uprising and the New Era of Warring States
* Mao's Continuous Revolution
* Mao and the Great Harmony
* Mao and International Relations: The Empty City Stratagem, Chinese Deterrence, and the Quest for Psychological Advantage
* The Continuous Revolution and the Chinese People
* Triangular Diplomacy and the Korean War
* Kim Il-sung and the Outbreak of War
* American Intervention: Resisting Aggression
* Chinese Reactions...
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)