|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gardner writes in Chapter 2 that in the workshop he is teaching he encountered a story which he hopes to publish titled what?
2. Who wrote The World According to Garp?
3. Gardner writes that one editor insisted on changing his punctuation based on some rule he learned where?
4. Gardner states in Chapter 3 that a writer has to go far out of his way to turn his what against him?
5. Which writer, although thought of as a solitary genius, spent time working in close community with Ford Maddox Ford?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gardner write of writers' workshops in Chapter 2?
2. What does Gardner say in the beginning of Chapter 2 regarding author education and state funding?
3. What does Gardner say of editors in Chapter 3? What can one do to appeal to an editor?
4. What does Gardner say of supporting oneself as a writer in Chapter 3?
5. What should the successful teacher do for his writing students, according to Gardner?
6. Where does the author's manuscript go after he reviews the copywriter's corrections?
7. How does Gardner explain the detailed letter from an editor and the author's choice of revision?
8. What autobiographical experiences does Gardner relate regarding editors in Chapter 3?
9. What does Gardner remark about the loyalty of an editor?
10. Why is writing usually rejected, according to Gardner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Gardner write about the sense of perception and the ability of writers to create characters unlike themselves? What authors does he remark are excellent at this task?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Gardner refers to as "faith" in the final chapter. Where does the author find faith? How should the author go about escaping writer's block?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the biographical history of John Gardner. How did he come to writing? What was his childhood like? Where did he study?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)