|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the book 1984?
2. Who recommended Gardner at New American Library?
3. What is one of the most important things for a young writer to have, according to Gardner in Chapter 2?
4. Which magazine does Gardner refer to as elegant and rather timid, perfect for selling clothes and fine china?
5. Gardner writes in Chapter 2 that in a bad workshop, the teacher takes the place of the student's what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gardner say of finding support for the author in Chapter 3?
2. What brings the author feelings of virtue in Chapter 2?
3. Why must a teacher avoid projecting their aesthetic view on writers?
4. What does Gardner say in regard to literary dynasties and writing workshops in Chapter 2?
5. What does Gardner write of writers' workshops in Chapter 2?
6. What are Gardner's workshops like for writers?
7. What does Gardner say of editors in Chapter 3? What can one do to appeal to an editor?
8. What does Gardner write of the standard technique of teaching writing in Chapter 2?
9. Where does the author's manuscript go after he reviews the copywriter's corrections?
10. What autobiographical experiences does Gardner relate regarding editors in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Gardner's feelings about the element of "theme" when writing. Where is "theme" useful? Where is it not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between Melville's Onoo and Moby Dick. How does Gardner illustrate this in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the author's keen sense of observation. Why is this necessary? How does it affect the author?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)