|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gardner states in Chapter 2 that the first value of a writer's workshop is that it makes the young writer feel not abnormal but what?
2. Which writer, although thought of as a solitary genius, spent time working in close community with Ford Maddox Ford?
3. In Chapter 2, Gardner writes that writing, "like the study of classical piano, is not practical but _____."
4. Who did Gardner work with as a publisher following the death of Segal?
5. What is one of the only programs for funding for writers on the governmental level?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gardner say in the beginning of Chapter 2 regarding author education and state funding?
2. How does Gardner explain the detailed letter from an editor and the author's choice of revision?
3. What does Gardner say regarding the study of philosophy and psychology?
4. What are some of the qualities that should make an aspiring writer leave a program?
5. What does Gardner write of the standard technique of teaching writing in Chapter 2?
6. What does Gardner say of supporting oneself as a writer in Chapter 3?
7. What does Gardner remark about the loyalty of an editor?
8. What does Gardner write about rejection letters in Chapter 3?
9. What does Gardner open Chapter 3 with, regarding the young writer's focus on publication?
10. What does Gardner cite as the assets of having an agent in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the roles of plot, setting, and character in a novel. Which is the most important to Gardner? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Gardner's thoughts on William Faulkner. What does Gardner write about his use of dialect and language? Does he regard Faulkner as great? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the negative aspects of going for a graduate degree from a writer's workshop. What cons does Gardner cite for these programs?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)