|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the great questions of the moment which is addressed in The World According to Garp?
2. What literary magazine does Gardner publish?
3. Which magazine does Gardner refer to as elegant and rather timid, perfect for selling clothes and fine china?
4. Which writer, although thought of as a solitary genius, spent time working in close community with Ford Maddox Ford?
5. Gardner writes in Chapter 2 that in the workshop he is teaching he encountered a story which he hopes to publish titled what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gardner explain the detailed letter from an editor and the author's choice of revision?
2. Where does the author's manuscript go after he reviews the copywriter's corrections?
3. What does Gardner write about rejection letters in Chapter 3?
4. What does Gardner say in the beginning of Chapter 2 regarding author education and state funding?
5. What are Gardner's workshops like for writers?
6. Are all good writers good teachers? What does Gardner say of this in Chapter 2?
7. What should the successful teacher do for his writing students, according to Gardner?
8. Why must a teacher avoid projecting their aesthetic view on writers?
9. What are some of the qualities that should make an aspiring writer leave a program?
10. What does Gardner say regarding the study of philosophy and psychology?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the process of getting a book published, from the first manuscript submission to the book on the shelf.
Essay Topic 2
What does Gardner write about the sense of perception and the ability of writers to create characters unlike themselves? What authors does he remark are excellent at this task?
Essay Topic 3
What does Gardner mean in Chapter 1 when he refers to "verbal sensitivity"? What does this phrase mean and not mean to the author?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)