|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which magazine does Gardner refer to as elegant and rather timid, perfect for selling clothes and fine china?
2. Gardner writes in Chapter 2 that in a bad workshop, the teacher takes the place of the student's what?
3. What publishing house did Gardner send Grendel to first?
4. What experimental writer does Gardner mention having been moved and delighted by in Chapter 2?
5. Gardner compares the first thrill of achievement of the writer to that of an oboist or what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Gardner's workshops like for writers?
2. What does Gardner say of editors in Chapter 3? What can one do to appeal to an editor?
3. What does Gardner remark about the loyalty of an editor?
4. What does Gardner open Chapter 3 with, regarding the young writer's focus on publication?
5. What does Gardner write of the standard technique of teaching writing in Chapter 2?
6. Why is writing usually rejected, according to Gardner?
7. Describe some of the qualities of bad writing workshops in Chapter 2.
8. What brings the author feelings of virtue in Chapter 2?
9. What does Gardner say in regard to literary dynasties and writing workshops in Chapter 2?
10. What are some of the qualities that should make an aspiring writer leave a program?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between Melville's Onoo and Moby Dick. How does Gardner illustrate this in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Gardner refers to as "special intelligence" in the writer. How does Gardner's definition of intelligence differ from the dictionary definition?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Gardner's thoughts on William Faulkner. What does Gardner write about his use of dialect and language? Does he regard Faulkner as great? Why or why not?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)