|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who recommended Gardner at New American Library?
2. Which magazine does Gardner refer to as elegant and rather timid, perfect for selling clothes and fine china?
3. What publishing house did Gardner send Grendel to first?
4. In Chapter 2, Gardner writes that writing, "like the study of classical piano, is not practical but _____."
5. Who did Gardner work with as a publisher following the death of Segal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "best" way to sustain a living as a writer, according to Gardner?
2. What should the successful teacher do for his writing students, according to Gardner?
3. What brings the author feelings of virtue in Chapter 2?
4. What does Gardner say of finding support for the author in Chapter 3?
5. What does Gardner say regarding the study of philosophy and psychology?
6. Why is writing usually rejected, according to Gardner?
7. Are all good writers good teachers? What does Gardner say of this in Chapter 2?
8. What does Gardner remark about the loyalty of an editor?
9. What does Gardner open Chapter 3 with, regarding the young writer's focus on publication?
10. What are some of the qualities that should make an aspiring writer leave a program?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the career of Raymond Carver. How did he come to study with John Gardner? What does he relate of his experiences as Gardner's student?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the process of getting a book published, from the first manuscript submission to the book on the shelf.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Gardner's feelings about the element of "theme" when writing. Where is "theme" useful? Where is it not?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)