|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 3?
2. What is one of the more reputedly good magazines that Gardner suggests publication in?
3. Letters to publishing houses should ideally be addressed to whom?
4. Gardner writes in Chapter 3, "Young writers want to ____ because they're unsure of themselves."
5. Where does the manuscript of a book go after the copy editor is finished with it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gardner write of writers' workshops in Chapter 2?
2. Where does the author's manuscript go after he reviews the copywriter's corrections?
3. How does Gardner explain the detailed letter from an editor and the author's choice of revision?
4. What does Gardner say in regard to literary dynasties and writing workshops in Chapter 2?
5. What does Gardner open Chapter 3 with, regarding the young writer's focus on publication?
6. What does Gardner say of finding support for the author in Chapter 3?
7. What does Gardner say regarding the study of philosophy and psychology?
8. What are some of the qualities that should make an aspiring writer leave a program?
9. What does Gardner say of supporting oneself as a writer in Chapter 3?
10. What should the successful teacher do for his writing students, according to Gardner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what Gardner refers to as the "moments of magic" in an author's work. How does one recognize these when reading? What examples does Gardner cite?
Essay Topic 2
What does Gardner mean in Chapter 1 when he refers to "verbal sensitivity"? What does this phrase mean and not mean to the author?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the career of Raymond Carver. How did he come to study with John Gardner? What does he relate of his experiences as Gardner's student?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)