|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gardner notes in Chapter 3 that all second-rate stories tend to do what?
2. What is one of the more reputedly good magazines that Gardner suggests publication in?
3. What is the title of Chapter 3?
4. What are the long pages from the typesetter, marked up by the proofreader for typographical errors?
5. Where does Gardner teach workshops, as he claims it has a good program for fiction?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the roles of plot, setting, and character in a novel. Which is the most important to Gardner? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the qualities which make a good or a bad teacher in a fiction writing class. What are some of the "red flags" which indicate an author should leave the program?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the biographical history of John Gardner. How did he come to writing? What was his childhood like? Where did he study?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)