|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author once remarked "the best way to become a writer is to go off and write"?
2. What is one of the only programs for funding for writers on the governmental level?
3. Where is one of the oldest and best known writing workshops?
4. What literary magazine does Gardner publish?
5. What is the title of Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the roles of plot, setting, and character in a novel. Which is the most important to Gardner? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Gardner refers to as "faith" in the final chapter. Where does the author find faith? How should the author go about escaping writer's block?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what Gardner refers to as the "moments of magic" in an author's work. How does one recognize these when reading? What examples does Gardner cite?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)