|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What publishing house did Gardner send Grendel to first?
2. Where did David Segal go after New American Library?
3. Who does Gardner suggest writing to for information on reliable agents?
4. Gardner writes in Chapter 2 that in the workshop he is teaching he encountered a story which he hopes to publish titled what?
5. If a writer agrees with the notes an editor sends, he should do what with his manuscript?
Essay Topic 1
Compare the language and characterizations of Shakespeare, Dylan Thomas, and John Updike. How do these authors approach character differently?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what literary dynasties are. What are some examples of literary dynasties? How does an author go about finding his own community?
Essay Topic 3
What does Gardner mean in Chapter 1 when he refers to "verbal sensitivity"? What does this phrase mean and not mean to the author?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)