|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What experimental writer does Gardner mention having been moved and delighted by in Chapter 2?
(a) Tom Robbins.
(b) Samuel Beckett.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) William Glass.
2. Who did Gardner work with as a publisher following the death of Segal?
3. Where is one of the oldest and best known writing workshops?
(b) New Hampshire.
4. What literary magazine does Gardner publish?
(a) Reader's Digest.
(d) Writer's Weekly.
5. One of the favorite survival jobs of writers has in recent years been what?
(a) College teaching.
(b) Night auditing.
(c) High school teaching.
(d) Office clerks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What publishing house did Gardner send Grendel to first?
2. Gardner writes that authors are almost never satisfied with the ____ job their publishers do.
3. In Chapter 2, what does Gardner say the world has far more than it needs?
4. To which editor at New American Library did Gardner send The Sunlight Diaries?
5. What author responded to the question of why she wrote fiction, "Because I'm good at it"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gardner open Chapter 3 with, regarding the young writer's focus on publication?
2. What brings the author feelings of virtue in Chapter 2?
3. What should the successful teacher do for his writing students, according to Gardner?
4. What does Gardner write of the standard technique of teaching writing in Chapter 2?
5. Are all good writers good teachers? What does Gardner say of this in Chapter 2?
6. Where does the author's manuscript go after he reviews the copywriter's corrections?
7. What does Gardner remark about the loyalty of an editor?
8. What is the "best" way to sustain a living as a writer, according to Gardner?
9. Why must a teacher avoid projecting their aesthetic view on writers?
10. What does Gardner say of supporting oneself as a writer in Chapter 3?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)