|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the favorite survival jobs of writers has in recent years been what?
(a) Night auditing.
(b) High school teaching.
(c) Office clerks.
(d) College teaching.
2. What does M.F.A. stand for?
(a) Master of Fulton Academy.
(b) Master of Formal Academy.
(c) Master of Formal Architecture.
(d) Master of Fine Arts.
3. What author of experimental fiction teaches at Rice?
(a) Michael James.
(b) Kurt Vonnegut.
(c) Max Apple.
(d) Thomas Pinchon.
4. Who wrote the book 1984?
(a) Ray Bradbury.
(b) Thomas Pynchon.
(c) J. D. Salinger.
(d) George Orwell.
5. Who was the first editor to take interest in Gardner's work?
(a) Gerald Kimble.
(b) James Growder.
(c) Bob Gottlieb.
(d) Jack Smith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which author went to Paris and studied with one of the shrewdest writers, Gertrude Stein?
2. What teacher and poet is quoted as saying, "My object is to catch right now what will embarrass my students when they look at their poetry ten years from now"?
3. Gardner notes in Chapter 3 that all second-rate stories tend to do what?
4. Which manuscript did Gardner send out which got a reply suggesting he cut it by a third?
5. Which magazine does Gardner refer to as elegant and rather timid, perfect for selling clothes and fine china?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the qualities that should make an aspiring writer leave a program?
2. Are all good writers good teachers? What does Gardner say of this in Chapter 2?
3. What does Gardner say of supporting oneself as a writer in Chapter 3?
4. What does Gardner write of writers' workshops in Chapter 2?
5. What does Gardner say of finding support for the author in Chapter 3?
6. How does Gardner explain the detailed letter from an editor and the author's choice of revision?
7. What does Gardner write about rejection letters in Chapter 3?
8. What does Gardner cite as the assets of having an agent in Chapter 3?
9. Why is writing usually rejected, according to Gardner?
10. What does Gardner remark about the loyalty of an editor?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)