|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) Publication and Survival.
(b) The Writer's Nature.
(c) The Writer's Training and Education.
2. Which writing teacher and author is famous for the energy and relative success with which he pushes his students' work at appropriate editors?
(a) Sean Howard.
(b) James Dickinson.
(c) Raymond Carver.
(d) Robert Coover.
3. What publishing house did Gardner send Grendel to first?
(a) Hannigan and Hannigan.
(b) Alfred A. Knopf.
(c) Simon and Schulster.
4. Gardner writes that authors are almost never satisfied with the ____ job their publishers do.
5. According to Gardner, most rejected fiction is rejected because it's not what?
(b) Modern enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which manuscript did Gardner send out which got a reply suggesting he cut it by a third?
2. Where does the manuscript go after the literary editor is finished with it?
3. Who does Gardner say one can be fooled by the nature of imagining that the best way to become a writer is to be a seaman or a lumberjack?
4. Gardner writes in Chapter 2 that in a bad workshop, the teacher takes the place of the student's what?
5. What is one of the most important things for a young writer to have, according to Gardner in Chapter 2?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)