|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gardner states in Chapter 2, "If there are objective laws of ______, not all of theme apply in every instance, and none of them finally have to do with purpose."
2. What other author did Herman Melville have among his circle of friends?
3. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) Publication and Survival.
(c) The Writer's Nature.
(d) The Writer's Training and Education.
4. Who recommended Gardner at New American Library?
(a) James Segal.
(b) Harry Crews.
(c) William Gass.
(d) Michael Harper.
5. Which is one of the great graduate programs for writers that Gardner refers to in Chapter 2?
(c) Carnegie Mellon.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Gardner writes that the "true young novelist has the stamina, patience, and single-mindedness of a" what?
2. What is the name of the writer's conference where Gardner has frequently worked with writing assistants?
3. Gardner writes that one editor insisted on changing his punctuation based on some rule he learned where?
4. Where does the manuscript of a book go after the copy editor is finished with it?
5. Gardner claims in Chapter 3 that rejection by an agent means more than rejection by a what?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)