|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the long pages from the typesetter, marked up by the proofreader for typographical errors?
2. What teacher and poet is quoted as saying, "My object is to catch right now what will embarrass my students when they look at their poetry ten years from now"?
(a) Dave Smith.
(b) Julia Roberts.
(c) Robert Frost.
(d) Allen Ginsberg.
3. Chapter 3 states that getting any letter at all from an editor is a mark of what?
4. Gardner compares the first thrill of achievement of the writer to that of an oboist or what?
5. Who wrote the book 1984?
(a) Thomas Pynchon.
(b) J. D. Salinger.
(c) George Orwell.
(d) Ray Bradbury.
Short Answer Questions
1. Letters to publishing houses should ideally be addressed to whom?
2. Where does Gardner teach workshops, as he claims it has a good program for fiction?
3. What is one of the more reputedly good magazines that Gardner suggests publication in?
4. According to Gardner, most rejected fiction is rejected because it's not what?
5. Who did Gardner work with as a publisher following the death of Segal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gardner say regarding the study of philosophy and psychology?
2. What does Gardner write of the standard technique of teaching writing in Chapter 2?
3. What does Gardner remark about the loyalty of an editor?
4. What does Gardner say of supporting oneself as a writer in Chapter 3?
5. What autobiographical experiences does Gardner relate regarding editors in Chapter 3?
6. What does Gardner cite as the assets of having an agent in Chapter 3?
7. Where does the author's manuscript go after he reviews the copywriter's corrections?
8. What does Gardner write of writers' workshops in Chapter 2?
9. What is the "best" way to sustain a living as a writer, according to Gardner?
10. What does Gardner say in regard to literary dynasties and writing workshops in Chapter 2?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)