|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did ancient poets get around means of survival, if not attaching themselves to kings?
2. What does M.F.A. stand for?
(a) Master of Formal Architecture.
(b) Master of Formal Academy.
(c) Master of Fulton Academy.
(d) Master of Fine Arts.
3. Where does the manuscript go after the literary editor is finished with it?
(a) Copy editor.
4. Which manuscript did Gardner send out which got a reply suggesting he cut it by a third?
(b) The Wreckage of Agathon.
(c) The Sunlight Dialogues.
(d) The Resurrection.
5. Who does Gardner suggest writing to for information on reliable agents?
6. In Chapter 2, Gardner states, "A writer does not become better by being ____."
(a) Pandered to.
7. Who wrote the book 1984?
(a) George Orwell.
(b) J. D. Salinger.
(c) Thomas Pynchon.
(d) Ray Bradbury.
8. Who did Gardner work with as a publisher following the death of Segal?
9. Which is one of the great graduate programs for writers that Gardner refers to in Chapter 2?
(a) Carnegie Mellon.
10. Gardner claims in Chapter 3 that rejection by an agent means more than rejection by a what?
11. To which editor at New American Library did Gardner send The Sunlight Diaries?
(a) Harry Crews.
(b) David Segal.
(c) Bob Gottlieb.
(d) Michael Harper.
12. Gardner compares the first thrill of achievement of the writer to that of an oboist or what?
13. In Chapter 2, what does Gardner say the world has far more than it needs?
(a) Writing teachers.
14. What is one of the great questions of the moment which is addressed in The World According to Garp?
(d) Race relations.
15. What publishing house did Gardner send Grendel to first?
(a) Hannigan and Hannigan.
(c) Simon and Schulster.
(d) Alfred A. Knopf.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is one of the oldest and best known writing workshops?
2. Gardner writes in Chapter 3, "Young writers want to ____ because they're unsure of themselves."
3. What was William Gass publishing at New American Library?
4. Where does the manuscript of a book go after the copy editor is finished with it?
5. Gardner writes in Chapter 2 that in a bad workshop, the teacher takes the place of the student's what?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)