|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Gardner work with as a publisher following the death of Segal?
2. What does Gardner cite as one of the most respected publishers of novels?
(a) Alfred A. Knopf.
(b) Simon and Schuster.
(d) Harper and Row.
3. Which author went to Paris and studied with one of the shrewdest writers, Gertrude Stein?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Stephen Crane.
(d) Henry James.
4. Which writing teacher and author is famous for the energy and relative success with which he pushes his students' work at appropriate editors?
(a) James Dickinson.
(b) Sean Howard.
(c) Robert Coover.
(d) Raymond Carver.
5. If a writer agrees with the notes an editor sends, he should do what with his manuscript?
(a) Send it elsewhere.
(b) Revise it.
(c) Ask another opinion.
(d) Burn it.
6. Gardner states in Chapter 3 that one should fight like the devil the temptation to think well of whom?
7. Where does Gardner teach workshops, as he claims it has a good program for fiction?
8. What author of experimental fiction teaches at Rice?
(a) Max Apple.
(b) Michael James.
(c) Kurt Vonnegut.
(d) Thomas Pinchon.
9. The main commitment of famous writers as teachers is what?
(a) The star students.
(b) The poor students.
(c) Their students.
(d) Their own work.
10. Who wrote the book 1984?
(a) George Orwell.
(b) J. D. Salinger.
(c) Thomas Pynchon.
(d) Ray Bradbury.
11. Chapter 3 states that getting any letter at all from an editor is a mark of what?
12. In Chapter 2, Gardner writes that writing, "like the study of classical piano, is not practical but _____."
13. Which manuscript did Gardner send out which got a reply suggesting he cut it by a third?
(b) The Resurrection.
(c) The Sunlight Dialogues.
(d) The Wreckage of Agathon.
14. What is one of the more reputedly good magazines that Gardner suggests publication in?
(a) Oxford Book Review.
(b) Georgia Review.
(d) Reader's Digest.
15. What literary magazine does Gardner publish?
(b) Reader's Digest.
(c) Writer's Weekly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is cited as the head of the writing program at Johns Hopkins and favors new and strange styles?
2. Who recommended Gardner at New American Library?
3. In Chapter 3, Gardner writes, "One hears the complaint that conferences lead to a kind of writer ____."
4. According to Gardner, most rejected fiction is rejected because it's not what?
5. What is the name of the writer's conference where Gardner has frequently worked with writing assistants?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)