Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gardner notes in Chapter 3 that all second-rate stories tend to do what?
(a) Get published.
(b) Get rejected.
(c) Sound alike.
(d) Get acclaim.
2. What is one of the more reputedly good magazines that Gardner suggests publication in?
(a) Georgia Review.
(b) Reader's Digest.
(c) Oxford Book Review.
3. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) Publication and Survival.
(c) The Writer's Training and Education.
(d) The Writer's Nature.
4. What are the long pages from the typesetter, marked up by the proofreader for typographical errors?
5. Where does Gardner teach workshops, as he claims it has a good program for fiction?
6. Gardner writes that authors are almost never satisfied with the ____ job their publishers do.
7. Gardner writes in Chapter 2 that in the workshop he is teaching he encountered a story which he hopes to publish titled what?
8. What other author did Herman Melville have among his circle of friends?
9. Which is one of the great graduate programs for writers that Gardner refers to in Chapter 2?
(d) Carnegie Mellon.
10. To which editor at New American Library did Gardner send The Sunlight Diaries?
(a) Michael Harper.
(b) David Segal.
(c) Harry Crews.
(d) Bob Gottlieb.
11. What is one of the great questions of the moment which is addressed in The World According to Garp?
(a) Race relations.
12. What word does Gardner use to describe that teaching which tends to emphasize theme and design over feeling and authentic narrative?
13. In Chapter 2, Gardner notes that "The wide range of opinion in a class affords increases the writer's chance of getting a _____."
(a) Fair hearing.
(c) Full listening.
(d) True response.
14. Which writer, although thought of as a solitary genius, spent time working in close community with Ford Maddox Ford?
(a) Stephen Crane.
(b) Henry James.
(c) Joseph Conrad.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
15. What literary magazine does Gardner publish?
(a) Writer's Weekly.
(b) Reader's Digest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which manuscript did Gardner send out which got a reply suggesting he cut it by a third?
2. The study of what can give the young writer a clear sense of why our age is so troubled?
3. Which magazine does Gardner refer to as elegant and rather timid, perfect for selling clothes and fine china?
4. Gardner states in Chapter 3 that one should fight like the devil the temptation to think well of whom?
5. What was William Gass publishing at New American Library?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)