|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the manuscript go after the literary editor is finished with it?
(d) Copy editor.
2. To which editor at New American Library did Gardner send The Sunlight Diaries?
(a) Michael Harper.
(b) David Segal.
(c) Bob Gottlieb.
(d) Harry Crews.
3. If a writer agrees with the notes an editor sends, he should do what with his manuscript?
(a) Revise it.
(b) Send it elsewhere.
(c) Burn it.
(d) Ask another opinion.
4. In Chapter 2, Gardner notes that "The wide range of opinion in a class affords increases the writer's chance of getting a _____."
(a) True response.
(b) Full listening.
(c) Fair hearing.
5. Which is one of the great graduate programs for writers that Gardner refers to in Chapter 2?
(b) Carnegie Mellon.
6. Who wrote The World According to Garp?
(a) Raymond Carver.
(b) Michael James.
(c) George Glass.
(d) John Irving.
7. What word does Gardner use to describe that teaching which tends to emphasize theme and design over feeling and authentic narrative?
8. What publishing house did Gardner send Grendel to first?
(a) Alfred A. Knopf.
(b) Simon and Schulster.
(c) Hannigan and Hannigan.
9. Gardner writes that authors are almost never satisfied with the ____ job their publishers do.
10. Gardner writes in Chapter 2 that in a bad workshop, the teacher takes the place of the student's what?
(b) Ability to think.
(c) Critical imagination.
(d) Internal critic.
11. Gardner states in Chapter 3 that a writer has to go far out of his way to turn his what against him?
12. Where does the manuscript of a book go after the copy editor is finished with it?
(b) Literary editor.
13. What is one of the most important things for a young writer to have, according to Gardner in Chapter 2?
14. Gardner states in Chapter 2, "If there are objective laws of ______, not all of theme apply in every instance, and none of them finally have to do with purpose."
15. In Chapter 2, what does Gardner say the world has far more than it needs?
(c) Writing teachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the more reputedly good magazines that Gardner suggests publication in?
2. Gardner states in Chapter 3 that one should fight like the devil the temptation to think well of whom?
3. What author of experimental fiction teaches at Rice?
4. In Chapter 2, Gardner writes that the "true young novelist has the stamina, patience, and single-mindedness of a" what?
5. Who is cited as the head of the writing program at Johns Hopkins and favors new and strange styles?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)