|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Gardner, most rejected fiction is rejected because it's not what?
(d) Modern enough.
2. Which writing teacher and author is famous for the energy and relative success with which he pushes his students' work at appropriate editors?
(a) Sean Howard.
(b) Robert Coover.
(c) Raymond Carver.
(d) James Dickinson.
3. Where does the manuscript of a book go after the copy editor is finished with it?
(d) Literary editor.
4. Which manuscript did Gardner send out which got a reply suggesting he cut it by a third?
(a) The Resurrection.
(b) The Sunlight Dialogues.
(c) The Wreckage of Agathon.
5. Gardner writes in Chapter 3, "Young writers want to ____ because they're unsure of themselves."
(a) Go to school.
6. Gardner writes in Chapter 2 that in a bad workshop, the teacher allows or even encourages what?
(a) Bad grammar.
(d) Bad spelling.
7. What are the long pages from the typesetter, marked up by the proofreader for typographical errors?
8. In Chapter 2, Gardner notes that "The wide range of opinion in a class affords increases the writer's chance of getting a _____."
(a) Fair hearing.
(b) Full listening.
(d) True response.
9. Where does Gardner teach workshops, as he claims it has a good program for fiction?
10. Who was the first editor to take interest in Gardner's work?
(a) Bob Gottlieb.
(b) Gerald Kimble.
(c) Jack Smith.
(d) James Growder.
11. Gardner states in Chapter 2 that the first value of a writer's workshop is that it makes the young writer feel not abnormal but what?
12. What author once remarked "the best way to become a writer is to go off and write"?
13. Where did David Segal go after New American Library?
(c) Simon and Schuster.
14. Gardner states in Chapter 2 that an individual style is developed as much by resistance as by what?
15. Who wrote the book 1984?
(a) George Orwell.
(b) J. D. Salinger.
(c) Thomas Pynchon.
(d) Ray Bradbury.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which author went to Paris and studied with one of the shrewdest writers, Gertrude Stein?
2. What author responded to the question of why she wrote fiction, "Because I'm good at it"?
3. Gardner states in Chapter 3 that a writer has to go far out of his way to turn his what against him?
4. What literary magazine does Gardner publish?
5. What publishing house did Gardner send Grendel to first?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)