|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the writer's conference where Gardner has frequently worked with writing assistants?
(a) Silver Mountain.
(b) Bread Loaf.
(c) Last Dinner.
2. Who recommended Gardner at New American Library?
(a) Harry Crews.
(b) Michael Harper.
(c) William Gass.
(d) James Segal.
3. To which editor at New American Library did Gardner send The Sunlight Diaries?
(a) Harry Crews.
(b) Bob Gottlieb.
(c) Michael Harper.
(d) David Segal.
4. Gardner notes in Chapter 3 that all second-rate stories tend to do what?
(a) Get acclaim.
(b) Get rejected.
(c) Sound alike.
(d) Get published.
5. What other author did Herman Melville have among his circle of friends?
6. Letters to publishing houses should ideally be addressed to whom?
(a) A particular editor.
(b) The assistant editor.
(c) Any editor.
(d) The head editor.
7. Gardner states in Chapter 3 that for a young novelist, an agent is all but what?
8. Gardner states in Chapter 3 that a writer has to go far out of his way to turn his what against him?
9. Gardner compares the first thrill of achievement of the writer to that of an oboist or what?
10. In Chapter 2, what does Gardner say the world has far more than it needs?
(c) Writing teachers.
11. Where does the manuscript go after the literary editor is finished with it?
(c) Copy editor.
12. Where is one of the oldest and best known writing workshops?
(a) New Hampshire.
13. What author once remarked "the best way to become a writer is to go off and write"?
14. In Chapter 2, Gardner states, "A writer does not become better by being ____."
(a) Pandered to.
15. If a writer agrees with the notes an editor sends, he should do what with his manuscript?
(a) Ask another opinion.
(b) Send it elsewhere.
(c) Revise it.
(d) Burn it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gardner states in Chapter 3 that one should fight like the devil the temptation to think well of whom?
2. Who wrote The World According to Garp?
3. In Chapter 2, Gardner writes that the "true young novelist has the stamina, patience, and single-mindedness of a" what?
4. In Chapter 2, Gardner notes that "The wide range of opinion in a class affords increases the writer's chance of getting a _____."
5. In Chapter 3, Gardner writes, "One hears the complaint that conferences lead to a kind of writer ____."
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)