|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of Piers Plowman?
2. Who is the author of Crime and Punishment?
3. What kind of intelligence does Gardner say is important to the writer in Chapter 1?
4. Who developed the style of the "epiphany story" in The Dubliners?
5. The two things that keep the common reader turning the pages, according to Gardner are story or what?
6. Whose disguise in Jane Eyre does Gardner comment on as surprising in Chapter 1?
(a) Mr. Bryg.
(b) Mr. Wolverton.
(c) Mr. Rochester.
(d) Mr. Darby.
7. What magazine does Gardner suggest for good literary work in Chapter 1?
(a) The Londoner.
(b) The London Book Review.
(c) The Reader's Digest.
(d) The New Yorker.
8. Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?
9. What is the honest answer to the question most young writer's ask of "Do I have what it takes to be a writer?" according to Gardner?
(a) "You'll know in time."
(b) "God only knows."
(c) "Definitely yet."
(d) "Definitely no."
10. Gardner writes in Chapter 1 that if one studies with whom, does he learn that Shakespeare is better than Mickey Spillane?
(a) Dr. Martin Meyer.
(b) Dr. Andrew Dryd.
(c) Dr. Stanley Fish.
(d) Dr. Michael Mortenson.
11. In what novel does Levin propose to Kitty, as cited in Chapter 1?
(a) Nicholas Nickleby.
(c) Anna Karenina.
(d) Crime and Punishment.
12. Gardner suggests the young writer get a first-rate freshman composition book such as An American Rhetoric by whom?
(a) Stuart Waterman.
(b) James A. Richards.
(c) Michael A. Morris.
(d) W. W. Watt.
13. What does Gardner state in Chapter 1 that we call a writer who cares more for language than the other elements of fiction?
14. What is one of the philosophers who has maintained that words inevitably distance us from the brute existence, according to Gardner in Chapter 1?
15. What masterpiece of James Joyce does Gardner suggest typing out for language growth in Chapter 1?
(a) "The Wall."
(c) "Finnegan's Wake."
(d) "The Dead."
Short Answer Questions
1. What author does Gardner remark has a bad habit of breaking the vivid and continuous dream by pouring on the rhetoric in Chapter 1?
2. What anthology of fiction did Gardner publish with a colleague at Chico College?
3. Which author does Gardner say has a style at parties to take to the floor at any cost, telling funny stories?
4. Which author does Gardner state had "gazelle eyes" which dominated the room in Chapter 1?
5. What is the name of the man who moves next door to his teenage daughter in Gardner's hypothetical story in Chapter 1?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)