|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the philosophers who has maintained that words inevitably distance us from the brute existence, according to Gardner in Chapter 1?
2. In Chapter 1, Gardner states that "In a literary culture where the very notion of a 'masterpiece' is commonly thought" what?
3. What is the first thing that Gardner states a writer needs to have in Chapter 1?
(d) Verbal sensitivity.
4. Gardner compares Melville's Moby Dick with what in Chapter 1?
(b) To Have and Have Not.
(c) Anna Karanina.
5. What does Gardner state in Chapter 1 that we call a writer who cares more for language than the other elements of fiction?
6. Gardner notes in Chapter 1 that Mercutio's madness is fantastic and what?
7. Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?
8. Which sci-fi author wrote A Canticle for Liebowitz?
(a) J.D. Salinger.
(b) Jack Humphries.
(c) Kurt Vonnegut.
(d) Walter M. Miller, Jr.
9. Who is the author of Death in Venice?
(a) Clifford Odets.
(b) Herman Melville.
(c) William Shakespeare.
(d) Thomas Mann.
10. What author of Over the Edge does Gardner cite in Chapter 1?
(a) Kurt Vonnegut.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Franz Kafka.
(d) Harlan Ellison.
11. What is the name of the man who moves next door to his teenage daughter in Gardner's hypothetical story in Chapter 1?
12. What is the honest answer to the question most young writer's ask of "Do I have what it takes to be a writer?" according to Gardner?
(a) "God only knows."
(b) "Definitely no."
(c) "You'll know in time."
(d) "Definitely yet."
13. Who is the author of Piers Plowman?
14. Of whose writing does Gardner say that no reader can doubt the impulse to capture real life, "the special quality of country-Welsh craziness"?
(a) Samuel Beckett.
(b) Dylan Thomas.
(d) John Updike.
15. With what older colleague did Gardner publish an anthology of fiction at Chico College?
(a) Lennis Dunlap.
(b) James Fenway.
(c) Michael Ewing.
(d) David Wellesley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of Crime and Punishment?
2. What name does Gardner assign to the teenage daughter whose unknown father moves next door in Chapter 1?
3. Who wrote Finnegan's Wake?
4. What does Gardner say "breeds success" in Chapter 1?
5. What author does Gardner remark has a bad habit of breaking the vivid and continuous dream by pouring on the rhetoric in Chapter 1?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)