|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What anthology of fiction did Gardner publish with a colleague at Chico College?
(a) The Life and Times of Chaucer.
(b) Dragon, Dragon, and Other Tales.
(c) The Complete Works of the Gawain Poet.
(d) The Forms of Fiction.
2. What does Gardner say that good fiction starts off in the reader's head?
(a) A continuous dream.
(b) A nightmare.
(c) A hunger for more.
(d) An addiction.
3. In Chapter 1, Gardner states that "In a literary culture where the very notion of a 'masterpiece' is commonly thought" what?
4. Gardner compares Melville's Moby Dick with what in Chapter 1?
(b) Anna Karanina.
(c) To Have and Have Not.
5. Who developed the style of the "epiphany story" in The Dubliners?
6. What is one of the philosophers who has maintained that words inevitably distance us from the brute existence, according to Gardner in Chapter 1?
7. Who is one of the writers Gardner notes in Chapter 1 as having both a fine ear for language and also a fascination with the materials?
8. In Chapter 1, Gardner writes, "Though there are exceptions, as a rule the good novelist does not worry primarily about ____ brilliance."
9. Where had John Gardner taught before Chico State College?
(a) Oberlin College.
(b) University of Ohio.
(c) DePaul University.
(d) New York University.
10. With what older colleague did Gardner publish an anthology of fiction at Chico College?
(a) Michael Ewing.
(b) James Fenway.
(c) David Wellesley.
(d) Lennis Dunlap.
11. What was Gardner's first wife's name?
12. What painter does Gardner remark in Chapter 1 never sold a painting in his life?
(a) Van Gogh.
13. Who is the author of Piers Plowman?
14. Who is the author of All the King's Men?
(a) Franz Kafka.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Robert Penn Warren.
(d) William Faulkner.
15. What author of Over the Edge does Gardner cite in Chapter 1?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) Kurt Vonnegut.
(c) Franz Kafka.
(d) Harlan Ellison.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which sci-fi author wrote A Canticle for Liebowitz?
2. Of which writer does Gardner say, "the brilliant language with which he describes a minor character cannot help but suggest that the words he chooses are more important to him than the token secretary behind the desk"?
3. Who wrote Sister Carrie and An American Tragedy?
4. Gardner notes in Chapter 1 that Mercutio's madness is fantastic and what?
5. Gardner refers to boring, worn out language as being what kind of mask?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)