|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose disguise in Jane Eyre does Gardner comment on as surprising in Chapter 1?
(a) Mr. Bryg.
(b) Mr. Darby.
(c) Mr. Wolverton.
(d) Mr. Rochester.
2. Which sci-fi author wrote A Canticle for Liebowitz?
(a) Walter M. Miller, Jr.
(b) J.D. Salinger.
(c) Jack Humphries.
(d) Kurt Vonnegut.
3. What is the first thing that Gardner states a writer needs to have in Chapter 1?
(b) Verbal sensitivity.
4. What year did Raymond Carver move to Chico, California?
5. Where did Raymond Carver move to Chico, California from?
6. What was Gardner's first wife's name?
7. Which author does Gardner state had "gazelle eyes" which dominated the room in Chapter 1?
(a) Anthony Trollope.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Joyce Carol Oates.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
8. Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?
9. What does Gardner say we call a writer who has less feeling for his characters than we feel they deserve?
10. What kind of intelligence does Gardner say is important to the writer in Chapter 1?
11. What author does Gardner say was known to arrive at a party and sit for ten minutes or more staring at guests and not answering when people addressed him in Chapter1?
(a) James Joyce.
(c) Anthony Trollope.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
12. What magazine does Gardner suggest for good literary work in Chapter 1?
(a) The New Yorker.
(b) The Londoner.
(c) The London Book Review.
(d) The Reader's Digest.
13. What does Gardner claim is helpful, if it can be kept in partial control, to keep the novelist driven?
(a) A psychological wound.
(b) A tendency to prove himself.
(c) A tendency to drink.
(d) A need for love.
14. Which author does Gardner say has a style at parties to take to the floor at any cost, telling funny stories?
(a) Bernard Malamud.
(b) Stanley Elkin.
(c) Truman Capote.
(d) Joyce Carol Oates.
15. In Chapter 1, Gardner states that "In a literary culture where the very notion of a 'masterpiece' is commonly thought" what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What author of Over the Edge does Gardner cite in Chapter 1?
2. Gardner suggests that the dazzling poetry of Mercutio's Queen Mab speech is not the same poetry that who speaks?
3. Who is the author of Crime and Punishment?
4. In Chapter 1, Gardner writes, "Though there are exceptions, as a rule the good novelist does not worry primarily about ____ brilliance."
5. Where had John Gardner taught before Chico State College?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)