|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Gardner use to mean a phrase is worn out and overused?
2. Who wrote Sister Carrie and An American Tragedy?
(a) Theodore Dreiser.
(b) William Faulkner.
(c) Raymond Carver.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
3. Where did Raymond Carver move to Chico, California from?
4. In Chapter 1, Gardner states that "In a literary culture where the very notion of a 'masterpiece' is commonly thought" what?
5. What is the name of the man who moves next door to his teenage daughter in Gardner's hypothetical story in Chapter 1?
6. Where had John Gardner taught before Chico State College?
(a) University of Ohio.
(b) New York University.
(c) DePaul University.
(d) Oberlin College.
7. What masterpiece of James Joyce does Gardner suggest typing out for language growth in Chapter 1?
(a) "The Dead."
(c) "Finnegan's Wake."
(d) "The Wall."
8. Gardner claims he has been happy writing since the age of what?
9. Who is the author of Crime and Punishment?
10. Gardner writes in Chapter 1 that if one studies with whom, does he learn that Shakespeare is better than Mickey Spillane?
(a) Dr. Andrew Dryd.
(b) Dr. Stanley Fish.
(c) Dr. Martin Meyer.
(d) Dr. Michael Mortenson.
11. What did Garner always wear, according to Raymond Carver in the Forward?
(a) A gray suit.
(b) A brown suit.
(c) A black suit.
(d) A gray fedora.
12. What painter does Gardner remark in Chapter 1 never sold a painting in his life?
(b) Van Gogh.
13. Of which writer does Gardner say, "the brilliant language with which he describes a minor character cannot help but suggest that the words he chooses are more important to him than the token secretary behind the desk"?
(a) William Faulkner.
(b) John Updike.
(c) Dylan Thomas.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
14. What does Gardner state in Chapter 1 that we call a writer who cares more for language than the other elements of fiction?
15. Gardner refers to boring, worn out language as being what kind of mask?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Bartelby the Scrivener?
2. Gardner states that the effective writer leads the reader into a continuous what?
3. What does Gardner say "breeds success" in Chapter 1?
4. With what older colleague did Gardner publish an anthology of fiction at Chico College?
5. Which sci-fi author wrote A Canticle for Liebowitz?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)