|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is, according to Gardner, the one quality in fiction that cannot be faked?
2. Of whose writing does Gardner say that no reader can doubt the impulse to capture real life, "the special quality of country-Welsh craziness"?
(a) Dylan Thomas.
(c) John Updike.
(d) Samuel Beckett.
3. Who is the author of Crime and Punishment?
4. Who is the author of Piers Plowman?
5. Who developed the style of the "epiphany story" in The Dubliners?
6. What is the honest answer to the question most young writer's ask of "Do I have what it takes to be a writer?" according to Gardner?
(a) "You'll know in time."
(b) "Definitely no."
(c) "God only knows."
(d) "Definitely yet."
7. Gardner states that the effective writer leads the reader into a continuous what?
(a) Story line.
8. What kind of intelligence does Gardner say is important to the writer in Chapter 1?
9. Who is the author of The Turn of the Screw?
(a) Dylan Thomas.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Henry James.
(d) Henry Melville.
10. What masterpiece of James Joyce does Gardner suggest typing out for language growth in Chapter 1?
(a) "The Dead."
(c) "Finnegan's Wake."
(d) "The Wall."
11. Gardner notes in Chapter 1 that Mercutio's madness is fantastic and what?
12. What year did Raymond Carver move to Chico, California?
13. Gardner states in Chapter 1 that Canterbury Tales is a disguised what?
(a) War poem.
(b) Shakespearean ode.
(d) Love poem.
14. Who wrote Finnegan's Wake?
15. Who is the author of Death in Venice?
(a) Clifford Odets.
(b) Herman Melville.
(c) William Shakespeare.
(d) Thomas Mann.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Raymond Carver move to Chico, California from?
2. Who is the author of All the King's Men?
3. Which philosopher maintained that nothing a writer writes means anything, "all the words are a lunatic blithering," since all language is by nature false and misleading?
4. Which title does Raymond Carver say is the only one he recalls of John Gardner's manuscripts in the Forward?
5. What author does Gardner remark has a persistent mean streak in his writing?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)