|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story of Robert Penn Warren's did Raymond Carver read in Gardner's class at Chico State College?
(a) "To Have and Have Not."
(b) "Last of the Mohicans."
(c) "Blackberry Winter."
2. Whose disguise in Jane Eyre does Gardner comment on as surprising in Chapter 1?
(a) Mr. Darby.
(b) Mr. Rochester.
(c) Mr. Wolverton.
(d) Mr. Bryg.
3. What psychologist suggests that Jack and the Beanstalk is about penis envy?
(a) Madison Thomas.
(b) Sigmund Freud.
(c) Carl Jung.
(d) Bruno Bettelheim.
4. Gardner states in Chapter 1 that Canterbury Tales is a disguised what?
(a) Shakespearean ode.
(b) Love poem.
(c) War poem.
5. Which sci-fi author wrote A Canticle for Liebowitz?
(a) Walter M. Miller, Jr.
(b) Kurt Vonnegut.
(c) J.D. Salinger.
(d) Jack Humphries.
6. What magazine does Gardner suggest for good literary work in Chapter 1?
(a) The Reader's Digest.
(b) The London Book Review.
(c) The Londoner.
(d) The New Yorker.
7. Who is the author of The Turn of the Screw?
(a) Dylan Thomas.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Henry Melville.
(d) Henry James.
8. What was Gardner's first wife's name?
9. Of what author does Gardner say his heroes are clown-heroes knocked around by the universe?
10. In Chapter 1, Gardner writes that one is unable to write for everyone, "try to win the audience both of Saul Bellow and" whom?
(a) Stephen King.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Anton Chekhov.
11. Who is the author of Piers Plowman?
12. Gardner writes in Chapter 1 that when the central character is a victim there is no what?
13. Who is the author of All the King's Men?
(a) Robert Penn Warren.
(b) William Faulkner.
(c) Franz Kafka.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
14. Who wrote Divine Comedy?
15. What is one of the philosophers who has maintained that words inevitably distance us from the brute existence, according to Gardner in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of Crime and Punishment?
2. What does Gardner state in Chapter 1 that we call a writer who cares more for language than the other elements of fiction?
3. Gardner claims he has been happy writing since the age of what?
4. What author does Gardner say has a deep misanthropic mistrust in Chapter 1?
5. Who wrote Sister Carrie and An American Tragedy?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)