|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of Crime and Punishment?
2. What author does Gardner remark has a bad habit of breaking the vivid and continuous dream by pouring on the rhetoric in Chapter 1?
3. What was Gardner's first wife's name?
4. Who is one of the writers Gardner notes in Chapter 1 as having both a fine ear for language and also a fascination with the materials?
5. What masterpiece of James Joyce does Gardner suggest typing out for language growth in Chapter 1?
(a) "Finnegan's Wake."
(b) "The Dead."
(d) "The Wall."
6. What author does Gardner remark has a persistent mean streak in his writing?
7. What author of Over the Edge does Gardner cite in Chapter 1?
(a) Kurt Vonnegut.
(b) Harlan Ellison.
(c) Franz Kafka.
(d) James Joyce.
8. In Chapter 1, Gardner states that "In a literary culture where the very notion of a 'masterpiece' is commonly thought" what?
9. Which title does Raymond Carver say is the only one he recalls of John Gardner's manuscripts in the Forward?
(a) Nickel Mountain.
(c) The King's Indian.
(d) The Life and Times of Chaucer.
10. Where had John Gardner taught before Chico State College?
(a) University of Ohio.
(b) DePaul University.
(c) Oberlin College.
(d) New York University.
11. What is the first thing that Gardner states a writer needs to have in Chapter 1?
(b) Verbal sensitivity.
12. Gardner states that in the works of Shakespeare, language always serves character and what?
13. With what older colleague did Gardner publish an anthology of fiction at Chico College?
(a) Michael Ewing.
(b) James Fenway.
(c) David Wellesley.
(d) Lennis Dunlap.
14. Of what author does Gardner say his heroes are clown-heroes knocked around by the universe?
15. Gardner notes in Chapter 1 that Mercutio's madness is fantastic and what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who developed the style of the "epiphany story" in The Dubliners?
2. What magazine does Gardner suggest for good literary work in Chapter 1?
3. Who wrote Sister Carrie and An American Tragedy?
4. What name does Gardner assign to the teenage daughter whose unknown father moves next door in Chapter 1?
5. What is, according to Gardner, the one quality in fiction that cannot be faked?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)