|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gardner say that good fiction starts off in the reader's head?
(a) An addiction.
(b) A continuous dream.
(c) A nightmare.
(d) A hunger for more.
2. In Chapter 1, Gardner states that "In a literary culture where the very notion of a 'masterpiece' is commonly thought" what?
3. Gardner states that in the works of Shakespeare, language always serves character and what?
4. What magazine does Gardner suggest for good literary work in Chapter 1?
(a) The Londoner.
(b) The New Yorker.
(c) The London Book Review.
(d) The Reader's Digest.
5. What year did Raymond Carver move to Chico, California?
6. To whose poetry and prose had Gardner made allusions to in the novel Grendel?
(a) William Blake.
(b) Lord Byron.
(c) Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
(d) Percy Shelley.
7. Which author does Gardner state had "gazelle eyes" which dominated the room in Chapter 1?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Joyce Carol Oates.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Anthony Trollope.
8. What was Gardner's first wife's name?
9. What story of Robert Penn Warren's did Raymond Carver read in Gardner's class at Chico State College?
(a) "To Have and Have Not."
(c) "Blackberry Winter."
(d) "Last of the Mohicans."
10. Who wrote Divine Comedy?
11. Of what author does Gardner say his heroes are clown-heroes knocked around by the universe?
12. What psychologist suggests that Jack and the Beanstalk is about penis envy?
(a) Carl Jung.
(b) Bruno Bettelheim.
(c) Madison Thomas.
(d) Sigmund Freud.
13. Gardner states that the effective writer leads the reader into a continuous what?
(a) Story line.
14. With what older colleague did Gardner publish an anthology of fiction at Chico College?
(a) James Fenway.
(b) Lennis Dunlap.
(c) Michael Ewing.
(d) David Wellesley.
15. What did Garner always wear, according to Raymond Carver in the Forward?
(a) A gray suit.
(b) A gray fedora.
(c) A brown suit.
(d) A black suit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of Piers Plowman?
2. Of which writer does Gardner say, "the brilliant language with which he describes a minor character cannot help but suggest that the words he chooses are more important to him than the token secretary behind the desk"?
3. Gardner notes in Chapter 1 that Mercutio's madness is fantastic and what?
4. Who is the author of Death in Venice?
5. What masterpiece of James Joyce does Gardner suggest typing out for language growth in Chapter 1?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)