|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, Gardner states that "In a literary culture where the very notion of a 'masterpiece' is commonly thought" what?
2. Gardner suggests the young writer get a first-rate freshman composition book such as An American Rhetoric by whom?
(a) James A. Richards.
(b) Stuart Waterman.
(c) Michael A. Morris.
(d) W. W. Watt.
3. With what older colleague did Gardner publish an anthology of fiction at Chico College?
(a) Lennis Dunlap.
(b) David Wellesley.
(c) James Fenway.
(d) Michael Ewing.
4. In what novel does Gardner note the rooftop scene as being one of surprise in Chapter 1?
(a) Crime and Punishment.
(b) Nicholas Nickleby.
(d) Seize the Day.
5. Who is the author of Crime and Punishment?
6. In Chapter 1, Gardner writes, "Though there are exceptions, as a rule the good novelist does not worry primarily about ____ brilliance."
7. Who is the author of All the King's Men?
(a) Robert Penn Warren.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) William Faulkner.
(d) Franz Kafka.
8. What did Garner always wear, according to Raymond Carver in the Forward?
(a) A gray suit.
(b) A gray fedora.
(c) A brown suit.
(d) A black suit.
9. What does Gardner say "breeds success" in Chapter 1?
10. In Chapter 1, Gardner writes that one is unable to write for everyone, "try to win the audience both of Saul Bellow and" whom?
(a) Stephen King.
(b) Anton Chekhov.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Charles Dickens.
11. The two things that keep the common reader turning the pages, according to Gardner are story or what?
12. What name does Gardner assign to the teenage daughter whose unknown father moves next door in Chapter 1?
13. Of what author does Gardner say his heroes are clown-heroes knocked around by the universe?
14. Gardner states in Chapter 1 that Canterbury Tales is a disguised what?
(a) Love poem.
(b) Shakespearean ode.
(c) War poem.
15. What anthology of fiction did Gardner publish with a colleague at Chico College?
(a) The Life and Times of Chaucer.
(b) Dragon, Dragon, and Other Tales.
(c) The Forms of Fiction.
(d) The Complete Works of the Gawain Poet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of Piers Plowman?
2. What is the honest answer to the question most young writer's ask of "Do I have what it takes to be a writer?" according to Gardner?
3. What is, according to Gardner, the one quality in fiction that cannot be faked?
4. What does Gardner say that good fiction starts off in the reader's head?
5. Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)