|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What anthology of fiction did Gardner publish with a colleague at Chico College?
(a) The Complete Works of the Gawain Poet.
(b) The Forms of Fiction.
(c) Dragon, Dragon, and Other Tales.
(d) The Life and Times of Chaucer.
2. Gardner suggests that the dazzling poetry of Mercutio's Queen Mab speech is not the same poetry that who speaks?
3. In Chapter 1, Gardner states that "In a literary culture where the very notion of a 'masterpiece' is commonly thought" what?
4. What painter does Gardner remark in Chapter 1 never sold a painting in his life?
(a) Van Gogh.
5. What name does Gardner assign to the teenage daughter whose unknown father moves next door in Chapter 1?
6. What was Gardner's first wife's name?
7. With what older colleague did Gardner publish an anthology of fiction at Chico College?
(a) James Fenway.
(b) Michael Ewing.
(c) David Wellesley.
(d) Lennis Dunlap.
8. Gardner notes in Chapter 1 that all writing requires some measure of a ____ state.
9. To whose poetry and prose had Gardner made allusions to in the novel Grendel?
(a) Lord Byron.
(b) William Blake.
(c) Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
(d) Percy Shelley.
10. What masterpiece of James Joyce does Gardner suggest typing out for language growth in Chapter 1?
(a) "The Dead."
(b) "Finnegan's Wake."
(c) "The Wall."
11. What does Gardner say "breeds success" in Chapter 1?
12. What is the honest answer to the question most young writer's ask of "Do I have what it takes to be a writer?" according to Gardner?
(a) "You'll know in time."
(b) "Definitely yet."
(c) "God only knows."
(d) "Definitely no."
13. Which author does Gardner state had "gazelle eyes" which dominated the room in Chapter 1?
(a) Anthony Trollope.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Joyce Carol Oates.
(d) James Joyce.
14. Who wrote Sister Carrie and An American Tragedy?
(a) William Faulkner.
(b) Theodore Dreiser.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Raymond Carver.
15. Whose disguise in Jane Eyre does Gardner comment on as surprising in Chapter 1?
(a) Mr. Darby.
(b) Mr. Wolverton.
(c) Mr. Rochester.
(d) Mr. Bryg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Garner always wear, according to Raymond Carver in the Forward?
2. Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?
3. Gardner states in Chapter 1 that Canterbury Tales is a disguised what?
4. What is the first thing that Gardner states a writer needs to have in Chapter 1?
5. Gardner suggests the young writer get a first-rate freshman composition book such as An American Rhetoric by whom?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)