|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Raymond Carver move to Chico, California from?
2. In Chapter 1, Gardner writes, "Though there are exceptions, as a rule the good novelist does not worry primarily about ____ brilliance."
3. The two things that keep the common reader turning the pages, according to Gardner are story or what?
4. What is the name of the man who moves next door to his teenage daughter in Gardner's hypothetical story in Chapter 1?
5. Who developed the style of the "epiphany story" in The Dubliners?
6. What author does Gardner remark has a persistent mean streak in his writing?
7. Who is the author of Death in Venice?
(a) Herman Melville.
(b) Thomas Mann.
(c) William Shakespeare.
(d) Clifford Odets.
8. What author of Over the Edge does Gardner cite in Chapter 1?
(a) Franz Kafka.
(b) Kurt Vonnegut.
(c) Harlan Ellison.
(d) James Joyce.
9. What author does Gardner remark has a bad habit of breaking the vivid and continuous dream by pouring on the rhetoric in Chapter 1?
10. Which sci-fi author wrote A Canticle for Liebowitz?
(a) Jack Humphries.
(b) Kurt Vonnegut.
(c) Walter M. Miller, Jr.
(d) J.D. Salinger.
11. Where had John Gardner taught before Chico State College?
(a) DePaul University.
(b) Oberlin College.
(c) New York University.
(d) University of Ohio.
12. What does Gardner say "breeds success" in Chapter 1?
13. Of what author does Gardner say his heroes are clown-heroes knocked around by the universe?
14. What book was Gardner writing when he remembered the altered sense coming over him while in the last chapter?
(a) The Resurrection.
(b) Nickel Mountain.
(c) October Light.
15. Which title does Raymond Carver say is the only one he recalls of John Gardner's manuscripts in the Forward?
(a) The King's Indian.
(c) Nickel Mountain.
(d) The Life and Times of Chaucer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author does Gardner say was known to arrive at a party and sit for ten minutes or more staring at guests and not answering when people addressed him in Chapter1?
2. Who is the author of The Turn of the Screw?
3. What name does Gardner assign to the teenage daughter whose unknown father moves next door in Chapter 1?
4. Gardner notes in Chapter 1 that Mercutio's madness is fantastic and what?
5. What was Gardner's first wife's name?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)