|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Publication and Survival.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gardner claims he has been happy writing since the age of what?
2. Gardner writes in Chapter 2 that in the workshop he is teaching he encountered a story which he hopes to publish titled what?
3. Who recommended Gardner at New American Library?
(a) James Segal.
(b) William Gass.
(c) Michael Harper.
(d) Harry Crews.
4. Where is one of the oldest and best known writing workshops?
(b) New Hampshire.
5. Which magazine does Gardner refer to as elegant and rather timid, perfect for selling clothes and fine china?
(a) The Atlantic.
(b) The New Yorker.
(c) The New York Times Book Review.
(d) The Oxford Journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which author went to Paris and studied with one of the shrewdest writers, Gertrude Stein?
2. Where had John Gardner taught before Chico State College?
3. What name does Gardner assign to the teenage daughter whose unknown father moves next door in Chapter 1?
4. What is one of the more reputedly good magazines that Gardner suggests publication in?
5. What teacher and poet is quoted as saying, "My object is to catch right now what will embarrass my students when they look at their poetry ten years from now"?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)