|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Publication and Survival.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the more reputedly good magazines that Gardner suggests publication in?
(a) Georgia Review.
(c) Oxford Book Review.
(d) Reader's Digest.
2. Gardner states that the effective writer leads the reader into a continuous what?
(a) Story line.
3. What is one of the philosophers who has maintained that words inevitably distance us from the brute existence, according to Gardner in Chapter 1?
4. Letters to publishing houses should ideally be addressed to whom?
(a) A particular editor.
(b) The head editor.
(c) The assistant editor.
(d) Any editor.
5. What anthology of fiction did Gardner publish with a colleague at Chico College?
(a) The Life and Times of Chaucer.
(b) The Forms of Fiction.
(c) The Complete Works of the Gawain Poet.
(d) Dragon, Dragon, and Other Tales.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose disguise in Jane Eyre does Gardner comment on as surprising in Chapter 1?
2. What literary magazine does Gardner publish?
3. What does Gardner say brings together groups of young writers who, even in the absence of superb teachers, can be of help to one another?
4. What is the title of Chapter 3?
5. Gardner suggests that the dazzling poetry of Mercutio's Queen Mab speech is not the same poetry that who speaks?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)