|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Publication and Survival.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gardner states in Chapter 1 that Canterbury Tales is a disguised what?
(a) Shakespearean ode.
(b) Love poem.
(c) War poem.
2. Gardner states in Chapter 3 that one should fight like the devil the temptation to think well of whom?
3. Of whose writing does Gardner say that no reader can doubt the impulse to capture real life, "the special quality of country-Welsh craziness"?
(a) Dylan Thomas.
(b) John Updike.
(d) Samuel Beckett.
4. What does Gardner state in Chapter 1 that we call a writer who cares more for language than the other elements of fiction?
5. What is the name of the writer's conference where Gardner has frequently worked with writing assistants?
(a) Last Dinner.
(b) Bread Loaf.
(d) Silver Mountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. The main commitment of famous writers as teachers is what?
2. Who was the first editor to take interest in Gardner's work?
3. Which writing teacher and author is famous for the energy and relative success with which he pushes his students' work at appropriate editors?
4. What other author did Herman Melville have among his circle of friends?
5. What is the first thing that Gardner states a writer needs to have in Chapter 1?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)