|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Publication and Survival.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gardner states in Chapter 2, "If there are objective laws of ______, not all of theme apply in every instance, and none of them finally have to do with purpose."
2. Where did Raymond Carver move to Chico, California from?
3. Which magazine does Gardner refer to as elegant and rather timid, perfect for selling clothes and fine china?
(a) The New York Times Book Review.
(b) The Oxford Journal.
(c) The Atlantic.
(d) The New Yorker.
4. Gardner notes in Chapter 1 that all writing requires some measure of a ____ state.
5. What story of Robert Penn Warren's did Raymond Carver read in Gardner's class at Chico State College?
(a) "To Have and Have Not."
(b) "Last of the Mohicans."
(c) "Blackberry Winter."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the more reputedly good magazines that Gardner suggests publication in?
2. Where does the manuscript go after the literary editor is finished with it?
3. In Chapter 3, Gardner writes, "One hears the complaint that conferences lead to a kind of writer ____."
4. Gardner claims in Chapter 3 that rejection by an agent means more than rejection by a what?
5. Which is one of the great graduate programs for writers that Gardner refers to in Chapter 2?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)