|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, The Writer's Nature, Pages 34-72.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What author does Gardner say has a deep misanthropic mistrust in Chapter 1?
2. In Chapter 1, Gardner states that "In a literary culture where the very notion of a 'masterpiece' is commonly thought" what?
3. Which title does Raymond Carver say is the only one he recalls of John Gardner's manuscripts in the Forward?
(b) The Life and Times of Chaucer.
(c) Nickel Mountain.
(d) The King's Indian.
4. What does Gardner claim is helpful, if it can be kept in partial control, to keep the novelist driven?
(a) A need for love.
(b) A tendency to prove himself.
(c) A psychological wound.
(d) A tendency to drink.
5. In what novel does Levin propose to Kitty, as cited in Chapter 1?
(b) Nicholas Nickleby.
(c) Crime and Punishment.
(d) Anna Karenina.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gardner say that good fiction starts off in the reader's head?
2. Who is the author of The Turn of the Screw?
3. Which author does Gardner say has a style at parties to take to the floor at any cost, telling funny stories?
4. What does Gardner compare to the floors and structural supports in a fine old mansion in Chapter 1?
5. Of whose writing does Gardner say that no reader can doubt the impulse to capture real life, "the special quality of country-Welsh craziness"?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)