|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, The Writer's Nature, Pages 34-72.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gardner states that the effective writer leads the reader into a continuous what?
(b) Story line.
2. Of whose writing does Gardner say that no reader can doubt the impulse to capture real life, "the special quality of country-Welsh craziness"?
(a) Dylan Thomas.
(b) John Updike.
(c) Samuel Beckett.
3. What is one of the philosophers who has maintained that words inevitably distance us from the brute existence, according to Gardner in Chapter 1?
4. What does Gardner compare to the floors and structural supports in a fine old mansion in Chapter 1?
5. What does Gardner say "breeds success" in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing that Gardner states a writer needs to have in Chapter 1?
2. What anthology of fiction did Gardner publish with a colleague at Chico College?
3. Who is the author of The Turn of the Screw?
4. What does Gardner say that good fiction starts off in the reader's head?
5. What magazine does Gardner suggest for good literary work in Chapter 1?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)