|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, The Writer's Nature, Pages 34-72.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Garner always wear, according to Raymond Carver in the Forward?
(a) A gray fedora.
(b) A brown suit.
(c) A gray suit.
(d) A black suit.
2. Who is the author of Death in Venice?
(a) Herman Melville.
(b) Thomas Mann.
(c) Clifford Odets.
(d) William Shakespeare.
3. Gardner refers to boring, worn out language as being what kind of mask?
4. What does Gardner say that good fiction starts off in the reader's head?
(a) A nightmare.
(b) A hunger for more.
(c) An addiction.
(d) A continuous dream.
5. What does Gardner say we call a writer who has less feeling for his characters than we feel they deserve?
Short Answer Questions
1. Gardner compares Melville's Moby Dick with what in Chapter 1?
2. What story of Robert Penn Warren's did Raymond Carver read in Gardner's class at Chico State College?
3. What does Gardner claim is helpful, if it can be kept in partial control, to keep the novelist driven?
4. Gardner suggests that the dazzling poetry of Mercutio's Queen Mab speech is not the same poetry that who speaks?
5. To whose poetry and prose had Gardner made allusions to in the novel Grendel?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)