|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Publication and Survival.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is cited as the head of the writing program at Johns Hopkins and favors new and strange styles?
(a) Max Apple.
(b) John Barth.
(c) Kurt Vonnegut.
(d) William Glass.
2. Gardner states in Chapter 3 that a writer has to go far out of his way to turn his what against him?
3. Gardner writes in Chapter 1 that if one studies with whom, does he learn that Shakespeare is better than Mickey Spillane?
(a) Dr. Michael Mortenson.
(b) Dr. Stanley Fish.
(c) Dr. Andrew Dryd.
(d) Dr. Martin Meyer.
4. Gardner writes in Chapter 2 that in the workshop he is teaching he encountered a story which he hopes to publish titled what?
5. In Chapter 2, Gardner notes that "The wide range of opinion in a class affords increases the writer's chance of getting a _____."
(b) Full listening.
(c) Fair hearing.
(d) True response.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gardner writes in Chapter 2 that in a bad workshop, the teacher takes the place of the student's what?
2. To which editor at New American Library did Gardner send The Sunlight Diaries?
3. What name does Gardner assign to the teenage daughter whose unknown father moves next door in Chapter 1?
4. What author responded to the question of why she wrote fiction, "Because I'm good at it"?
5. If a writer agrees with the notes an editor sends, he should do what with his manuscript?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)