|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does beauty give us access to do?
2. How did Scarry's doubtful friend study her ideas about beauty?
3. What baroque writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
4. Scarry's doubtful friend agreed with the idea that ________________.
5. What is an important part of Scarry's ideal world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say about critics of beauty?
2. How does Scarry say most people feel when they admire beauty in others?
3. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
4. What does Scarry always include in her writing and why?
5. What are the two perceptions of beauty Scarry talks about, and how do they differ?
6. What did Augustine say all people sought after?
7. How does Scarry end this book?
8. What does Scarry say most people want when they search for things?
9. What did Anrdreas Eshete write about?
10. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Scarry feel about nature, and why did this set her apart from most of the other people in society at the time?`
Essay Topic 2
Why do some people want to banish beauty in educational facilities, and what effect do you think this would have on those facilities?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the errors in beauty mentioned by Scarry, and how do you think they can be overcome?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)