|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that beauty puts us in touch with our bodies?
2. What term is defined with both beauty and justice?
3. What was Iris Murdoch's occupation?
4. What implications are investigated in the section on being fair?
5. What is uneven in the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
2. What does Scarry say about critics of beauty?
3. What did Augustine say all people sought after?
4. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
5. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
6. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
7. What does Scarry not like about the negative arguments against beauty?
8. What does Scarry say most people want when they search for things?
9. What does Scarry say about beauty leading to urges?
10. How do gods prove the usefulness of beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Scarry incorporate personification into this book, and what effect did this have on the tone of it?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the errors in beauty mentioned by Scarry, and how do you think they can be overcome?
Essay Topic 3
How did Scarry feel about nature, and why did this set her apart from most of the other people in society at the time?`
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)