|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that beauty decenters the viewer?
2. What is negative about the widespread definition of beauty?
3. Why do people seek out beauty?
4. What is the second of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
5. Beauty was demoted from ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry use as her examples against those who said beauty was bad?
2. What did Anrdreas Eshete write about?
3. How do gods prove the usefulness of beauty?
4. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
5. What does Scarry say can never be harmful to humans, and why?
6. What did Augustine say all people sought after?
7. What does Scarry say about critics of beauty?
8. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
9. What does Scarry always include in her writing and why?
10. What does Scarry say about gardens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do beauty and justice connect, and what is the effect of this on society?
Essay Topic 2
What does Scarry say about beauty's effect on society? What are your feelings on this?
Essay Topic 3
How did Scarry say she differed from most of the people she came in contact with, and what did this mean for her daily life?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)