|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about beauty did those wanting to banish it say was destructive?
2. Who says that beauty decenters the viewer?
3. What did Scarry salute?
4. What is the first of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
5. What is NOT always found with beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the double meaning of fairness?
2. How does Scarry say most people feel when they admire beauty in others?
3. What does Scarry say most people want when they search for things?
4. What feeling do most people achieve when they seek beauty?
5. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
6. With what does the search for beauty make a compact?
7. What does Scarry say comes to a community before justice?
8. Why do some people feel beauty is not earned?
9. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
10. What does Scarry always include in her writing and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the errors in beauty mentioned by Scarry, and how do you think they can be overcome?
Essay Topic 2
Why do some people want to banish beauty in educational facilities, and what effect do you think this would have on those facilities?
Essay Topic 3
Elaine Scarry presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism differ from the normal ideals of people?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)