|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first kind of perception described by Scarry?
2. What comes from perfect justice?
3. What does an onlooker of beauty often wish?
4. What is the first phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
5. How does a bad vase give value to something else?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scarry say most people feel when they admire beauty in others?
2. How does Scarry end this book?
3. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
4. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
5. With what does the search for beauty make a compact?
6. What does Scarry say about gardens?
7. What does Scarry say is the normal distinction between the sublime and the beautiful?
8. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
9. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
10. What feeling do most people achieve when they seek beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the four examples Scarry used to claim that beauty causes no harm, and how were they used?
Essay Topic 2
How did Scarry incorporate personification into this book, and what effect did this have on the tone of it?
Essay Topic 3
How did the selection of quotes chosen by Scarry work together to make this book effective and significant?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)