|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes from perfect justice?
2. What was Iris Murdoch's occupation?
3. What can never be harmful?
4. What country did the contemporary writer tell about?
5. What was the profession of the friend of Scarry's who doubted her ideas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
2. What did Anrdreas Eshete write about?
3. What does Scarry say about beauty leading to urges?
4. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
5. Why do some people feel beauty is not earned?
6. What does Scarry say is the normal distinction between the sublime and the beautiful?
7. What feeling do most people achieve when they seek beauty?
8. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
9. How does Scarry end this book?
10. With what does the search for beauty make a compact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the analogy of the garden, and what message was sent through that analogy?
Essay Topic 2
How did the selection of quotes chosen by Scarry work together to make this book effective and significant?
Essay Topic 3
Elaine Scarry presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism differ from the normal ideals of people?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)