|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
2. How does Scarry describe her explanations of beauty?
3. What is most vulnerable when beauty is admired?
4. Why does Scarry say most people seek for things?
5. What kind of argument was used when Scarry described what beauty could not do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
2. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
3. What did Augustine say all people sought after?
4. What does Scarry always include in her writing and why?
5. What does Scarry say about beauty leading to urges?
6. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
7. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
8. What does Scarry use as her examples against those who said beauty was bad?
9. What are the two perceptions of beauty Scarry talks about, and how do they differ?
10. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do beauty and justice connect, and what is the effect of this on society?
Essay Topic 2
How are the beautiful and the sublime separated according to Scarry?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the errors in beauty mentioned by Scarry, and how do you think they can be overcome?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)