|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say about the notions of those who wanted to banish beauty?
2. What does Scarry say about the demotion of beauty?
3. What is the second of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
4. What does Scarry say was removed from beauty with its demotion?
5. What is an important part of Scarry's ideal world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
2. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
3. What does Scarry use as her examples against those who said beauty was bad?
4. What does Scarry say is the normal distinction between the sublime and the beautiful?
5. With what does the search for beauty make a compact?
6. What does Scarry say most people want when they search for things?
7. What did Augustine say all people sought after?
8. What does Scarry not like about the negative arguments against beauty?
9. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
10. What does Scarry say about beauty leading to urges?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the analogies Scarry used when teaching about beauty, and how did they affect the audiences who heard them?
Essay Topic 2
How did Scarry incorporate personification into this book, and what effect did this have on the tone of it?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the errors in beauty mentioned by Scarry, and how do you think they can be overcome?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)