|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about the searches for beauty than other searches?
2. What does Scarry say a bad vase lends value to?
3. What is every person seeking?
4. What is the first phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
5. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about beauty did Scarry's critics say was destructive?
2. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
3. What did Anrdreas Eshete write about?
4. What does Scarry always include in her writing and why?
5. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
6. What does Scarry say about gardens?
7. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
8. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
9. What did Augustine say all people sought after?
10. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was your favorite quote from this book, and why was it so significant to you?
Essay Topic 2
How do beauty and justice connect, and what is the effect of this on society?
Essay Topic 3
How did the selection of quotes chosen by Scarry work together to make this book effective and significant?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)