|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Those who wanted to banish beauty wanted to keep beauty out of ___________.
2. What does Scarry say about the notions of those who wanted to banish beauty?
3. What comes from perfect justice?
4. What is the second of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
5. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scarry end this book?
2. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
3. How does Scarry say most people feel when they admire beauty in others?
4. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
5. With what does the search for beauty make a compact?
6. What about beauty did Scarry's critics say was destructive?
7. What does Scarry say can never be harmful to humans, and why?
8. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
9. What did Anrdreas Eshete write about?
10. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the beautiful and the sublime separated according to Scarry?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the errors in beauty mentioned by Scarry, and how do you think they can be overcome?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in this collection, and where does it appear? How was the tone altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)