|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Scarry say most people seek for things?
2. Which of these 'nots' is NOT associated with beauty?
3. Who introduced the concept that led to the demotion of beauty?
4. What term is defined with both beauty and justice?
5. What kind of potential does Scarry reaffirm when working in a garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
2. What does Scarry say comes to a community before justice?
3. How do gods prove the usefulness of beauty?
4. What does Scarry not like about the negative arguments against beauty?
5. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
6. What did Augustine say all people sought after?
7. How does Scarry end this book?
8. What does Scarry use as her examples against those who said beauty was bad?
9. What feeling do most people achieve when they seek beauty?
10. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elaine Scarry presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism differ from the normal ideals of people?
Essay Topic 2
What was Scarry's relationship with God, and what led to this? How did she maintain this in her life?
Essay Topic 3
How did Scarry incorporate personification into this book, and what effect did this have on the tone of it?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)