|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the complaints lodged against beauty described?
2. Who says that beauty removes us from our bodies?
3. Scarry's doubtful friend agreed with the idea that ________________.
4. What kind of argument was used when Scarry described what beauty could not do?
5. What did Andreas write about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do some people feel beauty is not earned?
2. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
3. What does Scarry say is the normal distinction between the sublime and the beautiful?
4. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
5. What about beauty did Scarry's critics say was destructive?
6. What is the double meaning of fairness?
7. What does Scarry say about gardens?
8. What does Scarry not like about the negative arguments against beauty?
9. What feeling do most people achieve when they seek beauty?
10. What does Scarry say comes to a community before justice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do some people want to banish beauty in educational facilities, and what effect do you think this would have on those facilities?
Essay Topic 2
How were your thoughts on beauty changed while reading this book, and why?
Essay Topic 3
How did Scarry say she differed from most of the people she came in contact with, and what did this mean for her daily life?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)