|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
2. What does Scarry like about the term with the dual meaning?
3. What is a God impervious to according to Scarry?
4. How does a bad vase give value to something else?
5. What was Iris Murdoch's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry use as her examples against those who said beauty was bad?
2. How does Scarry say most people feel when they admire beauty in others?
3. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
4. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
5. What does Scarry say is the normal distinction between the sublime and the beautiful?
6. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
7. What did Augustine say all people sought after?
8. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
9. What are the two perceptions of beauty Scarry talks about, and how do they differ?
10. How do gods prove the usefulness of beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elaine Scarry presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism differ from the normal ideals of people?
Essay Topic 2
How were your thoughts on beauty changed while reading this book, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What was the analogy of the garden, and what message was sent through that analogy?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)