|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Scarry's doubtful friend agreed with the idea that ________________.
2. What started the demotion of beauty?
3. Who says that beauty decenters the viewer?
4. What is the final phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
5. What does Scarry say about the demotion of beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say about gardens?
2. What about beauty did Scarry's critics say was destructive?
3. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
4. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
5. How do gods prove the usefulness of beauty?
6. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
7. What does Scarry say about beauty leading to urges?
8. What does Scarry say can never be harmful to humans, and why?
9. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
10. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Scarry feel about nature, and why did this set her apart from most of the other people in society at the time?`
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the errors in beauty mentioned by Scarry, and how do you think they can be overcome?
Essay Topic 3
What was Scarry's relationship with God, and what led to this? How did she maintain this in her life?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)