|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does beauty unseen improve?
2. Why can't poems be harmed?
3. What is an important part of Scarry's ideal world?
4. Who says that beauty removes us from our bodies?
5. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do gods prove the usefulness of beauty?
2. What did Anrdreas Eshete write about?
3. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
4. What does Scarry say comes to a community before justice?
5. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
6. What does Scarry say can never be harmful to humans, and why?
7. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
8. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
9. How does Scarry say most people feel when they admire beauty in others?
10. What does Scarry say about critics of beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the selection of quotes chosen by Scarry work together to make this book effective and significant?
Essay Topic 2
What was the main message of this book, and why were these particular quotes chosen to share this message?
Essay Topic 3
How are the beautiful and the sublime separated according to Scarry?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)