|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concept did Edmund Burke write about?
2. What kind of argument was used when Scarry described what beauty could not do?
3. What is Scarry's hope for the next generation?
4. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
5. What kind of life does Scarry want to make beautiful?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Anrdreas Eshete write about?
2. What about beauty did Scarry's critics say was destructive?
3. What did Augustine say all people sought after?
4. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
5. How does Scarry say most people feel when they admire beauty in others?
6. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
7. How do gods prove the usefulness of beauty?
8. What does Scarry say about critics of beauty?
9. How does Scarry end this book?
10. With what does the search for beauty make a compact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elaine Scarry presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism differ from the normal ideals of people?
Essay Topic 2
How did the selection of quotes chosen by Scarry work together to make this book effective and significant?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in this collection, and where does it appear? How was the tone altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)