|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does beauty urge people to do in a good way?
2. How did Scarry's doubtful friend study her ideas about beauty?
3. What does Scarry say confirms the life of gardens?
4. What country did the contemporary writer tell about?
5. What kind of potential does Scarry reaffirm when working in a garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
2. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
3. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
4. What about beauty did Scarry's critics say was destructive?
5. What does Scarry use as her examples against those who said beauty was bad?
6. What does Scarry say comes to a community before justice?
7. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
8. What is the double meaning of fairness?
9. How does Scarry end this book?
10. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do beauty and justice connect, and what is the effect of this on society?
Essay Topic 2
Why do some people want to banish beauty in educational facilities, and what effect do you think this would have on those facilities?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the analogies Scarry used when teaching about beauty, and how did they affect the audiences who heard them?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)