|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the vulnerable person who admires beauty risk?
2. What mid-century writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
3. How many kinds of perception does Scarry talk about in this book?
4. Who says that beauty puts us in touch with our bodies?
5. What realm does beauty live in now according to Scarry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say is the normal distinction between the sublime and the beautiful?
2. What does Scarry say most people want when they search for things?
3. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
4. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
5. What feeling do most people achieve when they seek beauty?
6. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
7. What does Scarry use as her examples against those who said beauty was bad?
8. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
9. What does Scarry say about beauty leading to urges?
10. With what does the search for beauty make a compact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in this collection, and where does it appear? How was the tone altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Elaine Scarry presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism differ from the normal ideals of people?
Essay Topic 3
What was Scarry's relationship with God, and what led to this? How did she maintain this in her life?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)