|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the complaints lodged against beauty described?
2. What does Scarry say about the demotion of beauty?
3. What does beauty unseen improve?
4. How many phases does Scarry use to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
5. Who wanted to banish beauty in the 20th Century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elaine Scarry presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism differ from the normal ideals of people?
Essay Topic 2
How were your thoughts on beauty changed while reading this book, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What were the four examples Scarry used to claim that beauty causes no harm, and how were they used?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)