|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of potential does Scarry reaffirm when working in a garden?
2. What is uneven in the world?
3. How many kinds of perception does Scarry talk about in this book?
4. Why can't poems be harmed?
5. What is the first phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the double meaning of fairness?
2. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
3. What does Scarry use as her examples against those who said beauty was bad?
4. How do gods prove the usefulness of beauty?
5. What does Scarry say about beauty leading to urges?
6. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
7. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
8. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
9. What did Augustine say all people sought after?
10. What does Scarry say is the normal distinction between the sublime and the beautiful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Scarry's relationship with God, and what led to this? How did she maintain this in her life?
Essay Topic 2
How did Scarry incorporate personification into this book, and what effect did this have on the tone of it?
Essay Topic 3
What was your favorite quote from this book, and why was it so significant to you?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)