|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
2. What part of life did the demotion of beauty affect the most?
3. What does Scarry use a cube to prove?
4. What was the profession of the friend of Scarry's who doubted her ideas?
5. What is the last kind of perception described in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
2. What is the double meaning of fairness?
3. What feeling do most people achieve when they seek beauty?
4. What does Scarry say about beauty leading to urges?
5. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
6. How does Scarry end this book?
7. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
8. What does Scarry say is the normal distinction between the sublime and the beautiful?
9. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
10. Why do some people feel beauty is not earned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in this collection, and where does it appear? How was the tone altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
How did the selection of quotes chosen by Scarry work together to make this book effective and significant?
Essay Topic 3
How did Scarry feel about nature, and why did this set her apart from most of the other people in society at the time?`
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)