|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first kind of perception described by Scarry?
2. How does a bad vase give value to something else?
3. What is the third of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
4. What did Scarry salute?
5. Why do people seek out beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
2. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
3. How does Scarry end this book?
4. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
5. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
6. How does Scarry say most people feel when they admire beauty in others?
7. What did Augustine say all people sought after?
8. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
9. What feeling do most people achieve when they seek beauty?
10. What did Anrdreas Eshete write about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do beauty and justice connect, and what is the effect of this on society?
Essay Topic 2
What were the four examples Scarry used to claim that beauty causes no harm, and how were they used?
Essay Topic 3
What does Scarry say about beauty's effect on society? What are your feelings on this?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)