|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
2. Which of these terms has a dual meaning?
3. What was Iris Murdoch's occupation?
4. What is most vulnerable when beauty is admired?
5. What realm does beauty live in now according to Scarry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say about gardens?
2. What about beauty did Scarry's critics say was destructive?
3. What does Scarry say comes to a community before justice?
4. How does Scarry end this book?
5. With what does the search for beauty make a compact?
6. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
7. What does Scarry say is the normal distinction between the sublime and the beautiful?
8. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
9. What does Scarry say about critics of beauty?
10. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Scarry's relationship with God, and what led to this? How did she maintain this in her life?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in this collection, and where does it appear? How was the tone altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
How were your thoughts on beauty changed while reading this book, and why?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)