|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the normal distinction between beauty and deity?
2. Who wanted to banish beauty in the 20th Century?
3. What kind of argument was used when Scarry described what beauty could not do?
4. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
5. What is uneven in the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Anrdreas Eshete write about?
2. What does Scarry say comes to a community before justice?
3. What does Scarry say about gardens?
4. What does Scarry say most people want when they search for things?
5. What does Scarry always include in her writing and why?
6. What feeling do most people achieve when they seek beauty?
7. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
8. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
9. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
10. With what does the search for beauty make a compact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the limitations of beauty according to this book, and what examples of these can you see in every day life?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in this collection, and where does it appear? How was the tone altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
What was Scarry's relationship with God, and what led to this? How did she maintain this in her life?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)