|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does beauty urge people to do in a good way?
2. What did Euripides describe in detail?
3. What is the fourth of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
4. What does Scarry say about the notions of those who wanted to banish beauty?
5. What contemporary writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say about critics of beauty?
2. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
3. How does Scarry say most people feel when they admire beauty in others?
4. What feeling do most people achieve when they seek beauty?
5. How does Scarry end this book?
6. What does Scarry not like about the negative arguments against beauty?
7. What does Scarry say about gardens?
8. What is the double meaning of fairness?
9. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
10. What about beauty did Scarry's critics say was destructive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was your favorite quote from this book, and why was it so significant to you?
Essay Topic 2
How do beauty and justice connect, and what is the effect of this on society?
Essay Topic 3
Why do some people want to banish beauty in educational facilities, and what effect do you think this would have on those facilities?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)