|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many kinds of perception does Scarry talk about in this book?
2. Beauty was demoted from ______________.
3. What is the third of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
4. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
5. What does Scarry say was removed from beauty with its demotion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scarry end this book?
2. What does Scarry say can never be harmful to humans, and why?
3. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
4. What does Scarry say about gardens?
5. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
6. What does Scarry say comes to a community before justice?
7. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
8. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
9. What does Scarry say most people want when they search for things?
10. How does Scarry say most people feel when they admire beauty in others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in this collection, and where does it appear? How was the tone altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
What does Scarry say about beauty's effect on society? What are your feelings on this?
Essay Topic 3
What was Scarry's relationship with God, and what led to this? How did she maintain this in her life?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)