|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What implications are investigated in the section on being fair?
2. What is the third of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
3. How many kinds of perception does Scarry talk about in this book?
4. What does Scarry say about the demotion of beauty?
5. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
2. What does Scarry not like about the negative arguments against beauty?
3. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
4. What does Scarry say about beauty leading to urges?
5. What does Scarry say can never be harmful to humans, and why?
6. What did Anrdreas Eshete write about?
7. What does Scarry say about gardens?
8. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
9. What feeling do most people achieve when they seek beauty?
10. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the analogy of the garden, and what message was sent through that analogy?
Essay Topic 2
Why do some people want to banish beauty in educational facilities, and what effect do you think this would have on those facilities?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in this collection, and where does it appear? How was the tone altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)